Model Cars Magazine Forum

MCM Relaunch Update 11/6/2020

I have almost a full collection of SAE and MCM. I also teach graphic design as well as playing with model cars for about 50 years. I believe I'm qualified to make a few comments.

If you compare SAE to MCM going back about 5 years ago, MCM was a far superior magazine. This issue is very close to the high water mark of the best MCMs of that period. If the quality can remain this high, very few people will miss SAE. If you haven't got a copy, take a look at the stocking shops and GO BUY IT!

The magazine has several returning advertisers.....we need to try to support them. 

The magazine has very little "filler". Most of the content is different than the forum....a great editorial decision.

I believe this is the first issue to have a UPC bar code on it. It is also reassuring of future intent with the postal circulation information included on the contents page. 

Page count is 64 pages including the cover. That's a good page count for most presses due to signature size. The only way to have more page count is to have more advertisers and more submitted copy. 

All is not rosy.....the paper stock could be a few pounds heavier. The cover is the same stock as the contents. Hopefully that can be addressed in future issues. This may just be the way it is for a digitally printed magazine.

15 hours ago, iBorg said:

I have almost a full collection of SAE and MCM. I also teach graphic design as well as playing with model cars for about 50 years. I believe I'm qualified to make a few comments.

If you compare SAE to MCM going back about 5 years ago, MCM was a far superior magazine. This issue is very close to the high water mark of the best MCMs of that period. If the quality can remain this high, very few people will miss SAE. If you haven't got a copy, take a look at the stocking shops and GO BUY IT!

The magazine has several returning advertisers.....we need to try to support them. 

The magazine has very little "filler". Most of the content is different than the forum....a great editorial decision.

I believe this is the first issue to have a UPC bar code on it. It is also reassuring of future intent with the postal circulation information included on the contents page. 

Page count is 64 pages including the cover. That's a good page count for most presses due to signature size. The only way to have more page count is to have more advertisers and more submitted copy. 

All is not rosy.....the paper stock could be a few pounds heavier. The cover is the same stock as the contents. Hopefully that can be addressed in future issues. This may just be the way it is for a digitally printed magazine.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your comments and insights.  I'm always glad to get feedback on the magazine.

Best regards,

23 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Is there a way to order issue #207 as a back issue??? Or any older issues?? I looked on the website but could not find any info. Congreats on getting things rolling 

Hi Dave,
Not at this time.  In the near future you'll be able to order any available back issues, #207 included, from our website.  The website is undergoing a major transformation - the revamped site will premiere in the new year.  Watch for it.
Best regards,

27 minutes ago, larrygre said:

Hi Dave,
Not at this time.  In the near future you'll be able to order any available back issues, #207 included, from our website.  The website is undergoing a major transformation - the revamped site will premiere in the new year.  Watch for it.
Best regards,

Thanks for the info and your hard work.

It's great to see things back on track i love this mag and like having the real thing in my hands can't wait for the next one and now that the other guy is no longer printing a model car mag you should have twice the people buying yours maybe even turning it in to a every month thing.

I got my copy in the mail today and I have to say, the relaunch is nothing short of great!  I used to write a monthly 1/24th scale diecast column for a couple of popular hobby magazines so I understand when problems with a magazine develop.  I also recognize when a publication listens to their followers and it is more than obvious that all those involved with MCM have, in fact, listened!

Love the new products and how to articles and how you set the bait for future issues in continuing these builds down the road.

I have only one question now...Has the next issue mailed yet?  ?

Great work by the whole MCM Team!

11 hours ago, BDSchindler said:

I got my copy in the mail today and I have to say, the relaunch is nothing short of great!  I used to write a monthly 1/24th scale diecast column for a couple of popular hobby magazines so I understand when problems with a magazine develop.  I also recognize when a publication listens to their followers and it is more than obvious that all those involved with MCM have, in fact, listened!

Love the new products and how to articles and how you set the bait for future issues in continuing these builds down the road.

I have only one question now...Has the next issue mailed yet?  ?

Great work by the whole MCM Team!

Hi Brian,

On behalf of the MCM team, thanks so much for your kind words.

Best regards,

I took a chance and was able to grab a copy last week at the LHS that used to carry MCM years ago. I grabbed one of the last two, which I took as a positive sign. After getting a chance to review it, all I can say is thanks to Larry and Gregg. From where I am sitting, MCM did not miss a beat. Gregg has always put out a top notch magazine IMHO, and I loved Larry's articles/reviews back in the "old days" of SAE (yes the E is intentional!). Looking forward to the next issue. Thank you for your hard work and dedication to something that some of us look forward to.

14 minutes ago, SCRWDRVR said:

I don't have anywhere local to me carrying it, closest place is little over an hour away. Does anyone know if they will be available to order here by chance?

Brian,

Right at the top of the page of this forum, just below the words "Model Cars Magazine Forum" there are three buttons. One is "Browse," another is "Activity," and the third is "Subscribe."  Click on the "Subscribe" button and you can make arrangements to have the magazine delivered to your door.

??

3 minutes ago, Danno said:

Brian,

Right at the top of the page of this forum, just below the words "Model Cars Magazine Forum" there are three buttons. One is "Browse," another is "Activity," and the third is "Subscribe."  Click on the "Subscribe" button and you can make arrangements to have the magazine delivered to your door.

??

Got it thanks.... and why are you giving me a cactus finger LMAO....

4 minutes ago, SCRWDRVR said:

Got it thanks.... and why are you giving me a cactus finger LMAO....

ROTFLMAO.  I hadn't looked at it that way.  

Funny thing is, saguaros usually look like that. Some with multiple arms actually look like a big hand out in the desert, and I've had that same thought:  "Gee, that one looks like it's giving somebody the bird!"

Trust me. In your case, not a 'fickle finger of fate or hate' at all.  Just a Sonoran Salute!

Maybe a little sunshine will make it seem less hostile.

?️?