Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Chaparral Camaro Trans-Am

2v2HWGY7oximYT.jpg

DISCLAIMER- This was not built from the new full bumper kit and the real car ran with the front of the hood slightly ajar

I have more photos I will post in the coming days

Most of the modifications were documented in an On the Workbench thread

Tamiya Bright White, Fred Cady Decals, Detail Master Hood Pins

2v2HWGYc2ximYT.jpg2v2HWGYw3ximYT.jpg

Edited by Phildaupho
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking race car. You mention the hood being up a little in front. Maybe a small cheat to get more air into the engine compartment ? I like how you got the fender flares done also. 

Thanks Dave - The hood being ajar was actually just happy coincidence on the model and yes it was to get additional cooling on the real car

30 minutes ago, RancheroSteve said:

That came out great, Phil!

Thanks Steve - I just took this photo of the Camaro with the 2D I converted about 15 years ago to its final configuration from the Monogram Daytona version. I am surprised by how creamy the Testor's white enamel appears now compared to the Tamiya bright white on the Camaro. Jim Hall signed the bottom of the 2D at the Monterey Historics

2v2HWGWWjximYT.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Venom said:

Hey Phil... That is awesome and unique. I love it!

Thanks Josh

26 minutes ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Phil....that turned out really great. I followed this in your WIP and can really appreciate the work and research you put into it. I also know its extra work to post all those WIP photos so thank you for that as well. It will all come in handy when I start mine..

Thanks Rich - You will have the advantage of starting with the full bumper kit. A couple of problems I had with final assembly were the fabricated dash gauge binnacle touching the windshield and the decals not conforming to the rear license plate area. Here is a photo of the underhood area.

2v2HWGYPvximYT.jpg

That is a beautiful build Phil! Your research and subsequent attention to getting the details right really stands out. A pleasure to keep examining your photos for all those added touches. For anyone who hasn’t checked out the WIP thread it is well worth while, especially if you’re a Trans Am or Jim Hall enthsiast.
Cheers Misha

12 minutes ago, Misha said:

That is a beautiful build Phil! Your research and subsequent attention to getting the details right really stands out. A pleasure to keep examining your photos for all those added touches. For anyone who hasn’t checked out the WIP thread it is well worth while, especially if you’re a Trans Am or Jim Hall enthsiast.
Cheers Misha

Thanks Misha - I appreciate your comments. Here is a photo of the interior

2v2HWGYkrximYT.jpg

15 hours ago, Quiet Eric said:

Stellar!!!

13 hours ago, Dave B said:

Looks really good Phil, I love the TransAm racers, I just don't build them and I'm not sure why!! 

Dave B

Thanks Dave

13 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Nice work. I loved the flared fenders for the wide racing tires used in the Trans Am racers of that era.

Thanks Bill

5 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Really nice!

Thanks Larry

15 minutes ago, Mattilacken said:

Beautifull build! God work on the front end conversion.

Thanks Anton - I have been tempted to get one of the new full bumper kits but figure I would never build it now that if have finished this project.

Here is a photo of the underside.

2v2HWGYpoximYT.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
19 hours ago, cholmes1 said:

Incredible work, especially the extreme detail on the undercarriage (brake ducts, etc).  Congratulations!  Could you link your Workbench page by chance?

Thanks Charles - here is the link 

9 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Awesome!

Don't know how I missed it when first posted.

Thanks Chris

3 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Very impressive TransAm racer, Phil ! Also the 1966 Nürburgring winning 2 D - hard tobelieve that this is a conversion from the Monogram Daytona car!

Thanks Helmut. I did not take any photos of the 2D during the conversion but here is a link to more photos CHAPARRAL 2D album | Phildaupho | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.