Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Ford Galaxie, Yellow Cab

doorsovdoon

Another build I did before I joined the forum. This is my San Francisco Yellow Cab made from the AMT '70 Galaxie Highway Patrol. I always wanted to do a classic Yellow Cab, so I had to find decals and scratch build the roof box Taxi sign. I used the radio from the kit as I didn't have a proper CB radio at the time to put in there. Simple kit with very low parts count that went together perfectly fine. No fit issues and I hope to d another sometime, probably a highway Patrol version. I might add weathering to it eventually as these were never seen in clean running order, they were always covered in grime and beat to heck and back! 

20201107_151707.JPG

20201107_151737.JPG

20201107_151802.JPG

20201107_151823.JPG

5 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Nice one Gareth.

If I built one I'd be doing it in beige or similar, as the kind of generic car seen in the background of any '70s American detective programme/movie.

Yes, I've seen a few different colours they came in, one I would really like to do is the 40's DeSoto in yellow with red wings/fenders but not sure if such a kit exists. The next best thing I'd use would be a '48 Ford and mod it to make a four door.

• 11 months later...

Howdy all! I stumbled on this thread as I just bought the Galaxie 500 Model kit. It's been fun to build so far. I am an ex-SF cabbie and wanted to build a tribute to Paul Stine (Zodiac victim) by building a 1968 Galaxie in Yellow Cab livery, but I blew it, as the 1970 kit is a different body style. Oh well, maybe I'll do the cab in the photo, but with my assigned number I drove Wednesday nights in 1996, 470. 

I attached a little sneak preview showing a little of what I did this morning. 

17e47e13dbf0781cb42338d60aa75ec2.jpg

IMG-1800.jpg

18 hours ago, Gabe470 said:

Howdy all! I stumbled on this thread as I just bought the Galaxie 500 Model kit. It's been fun to build so far. I am an ex-SF cabbie and wanted to build a tribute to Paul Stine (Zodiac victim) by building a 1968 Galaxie in Yellow Cab livery, but I blew it, as the 1970 kit is a different body style. Oh well, maybe I'll do the cab in the photo, but with my assigned number I drove Wednesday nights in 1996, 470. 

I attached a little sneak preview showing a little of what I did this morning. 

Good start, engine is looking sweet. Love the Zodiac movie. I kind of based this cab build off of that, but like you say, it's the wrong year and style. I believe there is a two door version of the '68 but I don't think it's been issued for decades and is hard to find now. 

Edited by doorsovdoon