Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964-66 Shelby Daytona Coupe

Hi all... I’ve been searching eBay for a 1/24 scale Shelby Daytona Coupe plastic model kit so I can build and add to my Shelby collection. It must be 1/24 scale. If anyone knows of a manufacturer that produces these please tell. Thanks!

38 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

I too want the 1:24 kit . When I was at Shelby America I bought a 1:18 diecast Cobra Daytona for $79.00.

I am satisfied with it.

One day I hope to build one

Mike

Since the Gunze kit was made in 1986 and pretty rare you’ll have to pay at least $100 for one.  The Lindberg kit is a toy and the other resin kits if you can find one for sale are pretty expensive ($185) and up so there are very few alternatives which is why modelers for decades have been hoping for a new mass produced kit (even a curbside) be made by Revell of Fujumi that would the modeler on a budget would build several (perhaps replicate the six original ones).

18587987-4FDC-4EFC-AE2D-F4193B8BDCD5.jpeg

Thank you everyone for the helpful info here. Hopefully I can get my hands on one of these! I’m surprised Revell hasn’t come out with a kit since Gunze did it you’d think they could somehow acquire the rights to copy it. It would undoubtedly be a good seller. Perhaps part of the problem is that Shelby American produced so few of them in real life, (like 9 or something), that it’s next to impossible to get accurate schematics. I don’t know, just guessing. The Gunze looks pretty well done though.

It amazes me there isn't even a 1/24 diecast.  lotsa 1/64, a ton of 1/43, some real nice 1/18, even a couple 1/12 I think, but NO 1/24....

I vaguely remember reading somewhere, (probably not true) That the reason the Gunze kit was never re-issued is because of licensing problems with Shelby American and the current (at that time) owner of the car.

I would be happy with a reissue of the Gunze all in plastic, with the photo-etch fret.  I can't imagine they wouldn't sell a ton of them.

(Hey Revell!, you listening??!!)

36 minutes ago, Venom said:

I want one so baaad! But the two kits I saw on eBay are from France and England. I’m really reluctant to have such a fragile item shipped from so far away. They’re too expensive for that risk... Ugh!

I actually put in a bid one one of them but was outbid.  I’ve received resin kits from Europe with no problem before and pretty quickly despite all the issues this year with COVID.  Two of the kits set me back a lot more than the Gunze kit would have but I have already built one and I have the HRM and Lindberg ones to build anyway.

Edited by vamach1

4 hours ago, cobraman said:

You got outbid on your birthday ?

You cannot win them all.  I already built the Gunze kit and just was not willing to go much higher than $100 with shipping.  There are still a few kits I have my eye on that are more that I do not have.

15 hours ago, vamach1 said:

You cannot win them all.  I already built the Gunze kit and just was not willing to go much higher than $100 with shipping.  There are still a few kits I have my eye on that are more that I do not have.

So you built a Gunze Daytona? What are your impressions of it... like a Tamiya, Revell?

3 hours ago, Venom said:

So you built a Gunze Daytona? What are your impressions of it... like a Tamiya, Revell?

Hard to say what to compare it too. Perhaps a Fujumi since it is a curbside kit but the frame is pretty unique.  It was pretty much the only game in town until some of the resin casters starting making better kits.  They were probably retail about $50 thirty years ago and I’d buy another one at a fair price but if you see one for less than $100 you do not get many chances to buy one anymore.

5155CB96-0D8E-475A-9A44-0B7A73168BF4.jpeg

AE51A312-7AC7-4E65-9C59-3EEB2FF0678A.jpeg

1F7453AA-9B9A-40F2-9F43-7EE9B58F4129.jpeg

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

Hard to say what to compare it too. Perhaps a Fujumi since it is a curbside kit but the frame is pretty unique.  It was pretty much the only game in town until some of the resin casters starting making better kits.  They were probably retail about $50 thirty years ago and I’d buy another one at a fair price but if you see one for less than $100 you do not get many chances to buy one anymore.

5155CB96-0D8E-475A-9A44-0B7A73168BF4.jpeg

AE51A312-7AC7-4E65-9C59-3EEB2FF0678A.jpeg

1F7453AA-9B9A-40F2-9F43-7EE9B58F4129.jpeg

Cool model Rex. Looks like you got that color right on the money! I think they look to have some nice detail to them

51 minutes ago, Ralph Henderson said:

There's one on ebay right now, but whenever you see one for sale online, be sure to ask if it's all there, and unstarted. 

seems silly, but, the one listed now, for instance, has had the bonnet cut away from the body. need to at least see the cut. 

Two pics don't work for a 100 dollar+ model car...

I totally agree with you about the two pic listing. I bought one off eBay some years ago and got a good deal (under $100) because it had been barely started, but I could see what I was getting, so no surprises.

For what it's worth, I cut the hood away when I built mine, even though I built it basically box stock/curbside. It's been a while, but I remember thinking that it made getting the body on the chassis much easier. If it's done cleanly it shouldn't be a problem.

Daytona Coupe left shelby

Edited by RancheroSteve

20 minutes ago, RancheroSteve said:

I totally agree with you about the two pic listing. I bought one off eBay some years ago and got a good deal (under $100) because it had been barely started, but I could see what I was getting, so no surprises.

For what it's worth, I cut the hood away when I built mine, even though I built it basically box stock/curbside. It's been a while, but I remember thinking that it made getting the body on the chassis much easier. If it's done cleanly it shouldn't be a problem.

Daytona Coupe left shelby

Steve, that car is beautifully done! Is that the one you built?