Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Camaro Pro Street

Quiet Eric

Almost have too many irons in the fire already but was pretty excited to get this one started. So far I've just cut out the rear wheelwells and narrowed the rear seat. Not going to back half it, just a "mini tub". Inspired by a couple local cars, one is more of a '70's style car while the other is full on street legal racecar. This will be silver with black stripes, another tunnel ram big block, and I'm not sure if the intake will be poking through the hood or if I'll do a scoop. Wheels will also change but I haven't decided on to what yet.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

9 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

Very cool project. Are you moving the leaf springs or staying in stock location?

I think it is going to get a 4-link and coil over shocks. We'll see what the parts box has to offer!

I'll build enclosures around the rear tires but they fit pretty well between the quarter panel and framerail as is, so I don't plan to move any of that.

6 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Nice project. Following. I just did a mini tub on a 67 Mustang. I too did not want to mess with the gas tank or the suspension too much. Spent more time on fine tuning the interior panels than the chassis.

Nice work on that chassis!

Thanks all for the comments!

I think you’ll like the new rolling stock Dennis...

Going to lean a a little more show-car than originally planned, interior will be a full on grey tweed job and the body will be dechromed...not sure on bumpers yet.

C8950F31-4339-4359-9B67-1BFC43FF8E9D.jpeg

C39BB00A-D584-4C5A-A6A6-BB286F05813A.jpeg

7B2C5395-A887-44C3-A506-08DF692F8368.jpeg

Edited by Quiet Eric

Looking sharp so far. I keep looking at the pictures and can't help it but think how cool the orange plastic looks. Almost as if it is painted orange pearl. Maybe that's the color you should make it. Throw in some carbon fiber bumpers, details and you are going to be right up to the trends now. Plus carbon fiber on orange pearl looks really sweet. 

Carbon fiber and current trends aren’t really what this one is about. Shooting for an early ‘90’s look.

Narrowed the kit 12 bolt rear. Will either have ladder bars or a 4 bar, either way will be from modified pieces of leftover Revell ‘32 kits. Will also have coilovers in the back.

To get the front end properly low, I sectioned the inner fenders. That created a lot of space to the framerail. Then I shaved the front mounting boss off of the subframe at the firewall area which gave it a pretty good rake bringing the subframe back closer to the inner fenders. Also gets the frame horns tucked in behind the valence panel. Still have to figure out a dropped spindle to have wheels mounted but it’s getting there. Will also have to deal with making sure the engine sets low enough to clear the hood, but one thing at a time!

ACD105D3-4E1B-4D6D-904A-E7C5712437D1.jpeg

144D3BC4-5250-480A-9476-02DE143A7BFD.jpeg

764C33B9-4B66-4B94-99DF-0F94FF1BC211.jpeg

E1748CFE-D1A1-429A-8560-45C59CDBF647.jpeg

20ED9489-CE7A-4EFB-AFF5-52FBA2B45D1B.jpeg

I have been watching your build and half hoped you would stay with the Orange plastic. Your build, do it your way. I like how you got the front sub frame tucked up to lower the front suspension. Moving the front axel mounts on the spindles  shouldn't be a problem. I have even used Wire Brads as replacement  axels and they're much stronger than the kits plastic axels. The Brads can be found at any hardware  store or Home  Depot. A couple of bucks will get you a life time supply.  

• 4 weeks later...

Fitting the engine from a Foose Eldorado - EFI big block Chevy with some good looking pieces on it. With some minor trans tunnel work and reversing the trans crossmember it actually lines up perfectly with the Camaro’s engine mount tabs. It does set a little high but should still fit under the hood. Did have to cut the oil pan into more of a stock shape for front crossmember clearance. Headers from the Eldorado kit will also fit perfectly. Will use pulleys from the same but change up the belts.

B1AAF697-9830-4265-A903-3B6CBC5B0E31.jpeg

4F12683D-0B69-4988-AAC1-390CD1CB04E0.jpeg