Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Long Roof Deuces - EXCLUSIVELY '32 Tudor, Fourdoor, Delivery and Phaeton ONLY thread.

mrm

3 hours ago, Bernard Kron said:

Truly inspired re-do of this kit while staying true to its modern style. The chopped and channeled approach improves the proportions greatly. Also dig the injected small block. What's the source for that mod?

Thanks Bernard! Here for the very detailed and cool injection https://www.shapeways.com/product/V8W7QBN6T/ls3-obx-crossram-1-25?optionId=62936900&li=shops

23 hours ago, Bernard Kron said:

Great stance on this model. Dialing in the Revell Deuce is a critical step when building these models. You nailed it here. I'd love to know more about some details. Tire choices? They complement the Revell kit wheels (?) perfectly. Also, what was your idea behind the DOHC motor? The heads look like M/T prototypes, the distributor placed like on a small block Ford and the header spacing from a Nailhead.

Hi Bernard, thanks for the comments sir. This build is several years old now but, as I recall, rear tires were from the Monogram “Blue Bandito”  kit, fronts from the tire box. I believe the wheels were from the 32 kit. For the motor, I wanted BIG. I sprayed the valve covers from a distance with flat black to give a textured look. As for distributor and headers, I realize they are not mechanically correct, I just aim for believable/cool looking rather than being real world correct. Hope that doesn’t upset any purists! 

Cheers, Steve

11 hours ago, mrm said:

Rodney, I am not much of a rat rod fan, but this one is just bad ass. Could you please show some more pictures? I am particularly interested in your front suspension solution. Would love you to shed some light on the entire frame/chassis and the interior too. 

Thanks

Yep, that’s super cool!

7 hours ago, RestoModGuy said:

Love all the 32s here. I took a different direction with the AMT 32 Phantom Vicki kit. Chopped and molded in the odd looking roof from the kit, chopped the grill and used metal wire. Lots of mods, including flush windshield.

DSCN1705.thumb.JPG.4525b76291f13a7df0c232e41a7c4bb7.jpg.c9574e276141ba9a96acecd31cf76d86.jpg

DSCN1738.thumb.JPG.09997fc4dc6c5658ea199984d7223e57.jpg.f847c6e2b4a7df70b72d455e3a6ae2fa.jpg

Jim, I don’t like to pick favourites, but..... man, that is awesome!

21 minutes ago, Steve H said:

...For the motor, I wanted BIG. I sprayed the valve covers from a distance with flat black to give a textured look. As for distributor and headers, I realize they are not mechanically correct, I just aim for believable/cool looking rather than being real world correct. Hope that doesn’t upset any purists!...

I'm with you Steve. I generally feel if it looks right it probably is right, LOL! Did you scratch build the heads? The distributor placement implies using Revell kit parts  for most of the motor. I have a gazillion small-block Fords from these kits and Ive often butchered them to make other types of motors.

Edited by Bernard Kron

4 minutes ago, Bernard Kron said:

I'm with you Steve. I generally feel if it looks right is probably is right, LOL! Did you scratch build the heads? The distributor placement implies using Revell kit parts  for most of the motor. I have a gazillion small-block Fords from these kits and Ive often butchered them to make other types of motors.

Nope, the block, heads, valve covers, oil pan were all from this same AMT motor which I believe was from the ‘70 Super Bee pro street kit? Someone might correct me there.

I wanna play, I wanna play!

Revell '32 Sedan. Chopped and channeled with a hopped up early Oldsmobile. Wheels an tires from Revell's modern tool '29 Roadster/'30 Coupe. Tamiya Light Gunmetal.

1564873832395-vi.jpg

1564874025108-vi.jpg

1564874451117-vi.jpg

1564874820841-vi.jpg

Revell-based '32 Fordor Sedan. This is a resin body by Drag City Casting that I created the master for and it comes with the chopped top. It was made from two Revell sedan bodies. Hopped up ARDUN flathead from Revell's '50 Ford Pickup with modifications. Chassis back-dated with early Ford cross members and rear axle. Tamiya Metallic Light Blue. 

1593390817243-vi.jpg

1593391216948-vi.jpg

1593391310708-vi.jpg

1593391483738-vi.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dennis Lacy said:

I wanna play, I wanna play!

Revell '32 Sedan. Chopped and channeled with a hopped up early Oldsmobile. Wheels an tires from Revell's modern tool '29 Roadster/'30 Coupe. Tamiya Light Gunmetal.

1564873832395-vi.jpg

1564874025108-vi.jpg

1564874451117-vi.jpg

1564874820841-vi.jpg

Revell-based '32 Fordor Sedan. This is a resin body by Drag City Casting that I created the master for and it comes with the chopped top. It was made from two Revell sedan bodies. Hopped up ARDUN flathead from Revell's '50 Ford Pickup with modifications. Chassis back-dated with early Ford cross members and rear axle. Tamiya Metallic Light Blue. 

1593390817243-vi.jpg

1593391216948-vi.jpg

1593391310708-vi.jpg

1593391483738-vi.jpg

WELL PLAYED!!!! Beautiful builds Dennis!

On 11/10/2020 at 10:32 AM, mrm said:

This is the longest of all the long roofs I have ever built. LOL

The "Last Ride" Deuce. 

Rk0mzr.jpg

This build is so creative. I love it. Making the Speedwagon body not look modern is tricky, but you certainly pulled it off here. And the black paint with black "stained" wood really works. Similar to how Lincoln did their Blackwood trucks

I am loving these Deuce threads so could not resist posting a couple of my builds. Both are replicas. The orange one maybe the fastest steel Deuce Sedan in the quarter mile which has been owned and raced by the same guy since 1962. The yellow one is the late Mr, Good Guys Gary Meadors hot rod.

2v2oKQkgWximYT.jpg2v2UzNSoZximYT.jpg

• Like 1

Some really nice Deuces coming out. I love it. So much well done models. And some great model ideas are coming out.

The idea of these threads was to create some inspirational material and you guys are delivering in spades.

Thank you and keep'em coming. 

On 11/14/2020 at 3:51 PM, Phildaupho said:

I am loving these Deuce threads so could not resist posting a couple of my builds. Both are replicas. The orange one maybe the fastest steel Deuce Sedan in the quarter mile which has been owned and raced by the same guy since 1962. The yellow one is the late Mr, Good Guys Gary Meadors hot rod.

2v2oKQkgWximYT.jpg2v2UzNSoZximYT.jpg

Hi Phil, beautiful builds sir. I’m thankful that I’ve had the pleasure of seeing these in person. Your replicas are always amazing.

Cheers, Steve

AMT 32 Sedan, chopped with slanted back A pillars, XKE Jag front and rear, kit Ford 427 with C6 from spares box grafted on, scratch built headers, card and air cleaner from 69 Torino Cobra, custom mixed Humbrol enamels with clear coat. Built around 79/80 before it was known that the dies were missing. Windows tinted blue clear film to match running gear colours. Wire wheels are from a Monogram kit with the rears widened. This was the flavour of rodding at the time - retro rod with modern running gear. This is the mid 70's reissue.

32 Tudor.jpg