Model Cars Magazine Forum

The EXCLUSIVELY '32 Roadster/Cabriolet ONLY thread. Show us what you got!!!

mrm

Ok, another Deuce specific thread for all the Deuce Roadsters out there. Highboys, Lowboys, Fendered, stock or fully blown drag monsters. If it's based on a Deuce Roadster/Cabrio - IT FLIES! Show'em up guys!

I am going to start it with a Bobby Alloway inspired Fendered Roadster.

It sits on a scratch-bashed chassis, with Roadster rails and front cross member, half Phantom Vicky - half scratchbuilt rest of crossmembers. Quickchange with the center copied in resin by me from the Paddy Wagon and the rest of the rear axle and shocks scratchbuilt. Front axle is from the Roadster kit, together with the brakes, wheels and brakes. 

The Engine, transmission and blower are from the Rat Roaster. The dual carbs are from the parts box. Headers are from the Revell '37 Ford and the rest of the exhaust is scratch built from aluminum and solder. The valve covers and airfilter are mixed media resin/photoetched pieces from MCG. I believe they discontinued their SBC offerings. Everything was covered in Molotow chrome and fully plumbed and wired.

Body has been modified with the cowl from the Phantom Vicky grafted and the windshield from the same kit. It needed some tweaking to sit properly over the 5-window fenders, especially since it is slightly channeled on its front. This required the grille shell to be sunk even more in the front fenders. The front grille had to be filled on the bottom, to look good behind the MCG photo etched grille, together with the scratchbuilt photo etched radiator. 

Interior is pretty much stock from the Roadster kit, save for the MCG photo etched gauges, steering wheel, pedals and the detail master photo etched seatbelts. 

Paint is waterbase Createx from Hobby Lobby, with 2K midcoat and then the flames were free hand cut with exacto knife over BMF on the model, followed by Tamiya white, yellow and two oranges. Everything was topped by more 2K clear, sanded even and cleared again. 

Technically the model is not 100% finished, as it still needs taillights, licence plate and some minor details. 

Hzt1DI.jpg

kdf8Hs.jpg

e1GHpb.jpg

ke7E40.jpg

tv8sLO.jpg

vENiFb.jpg

ZSIkZZ.jpg

Edited by mrm
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, espo said:

I still have pictures of this build on my phone from when it was at the Heartland Nationals a couple of years ago. For those that haven't seen it, it looks even better in person. 

Thank you David, I appreciate it. 

As a matter of fact, I am finishing the couple of little details tonight and calling it ALL done. I know it has been a wile, but I had some very turbulent times in my life since last time at Heartland. Add a move from Colorado to Tennessee and the whole Covid BS and you can see why this was not finished. I am just trying to get back into building something, but my everyday life is fighting me hard on it. LOL

I have to snap some new and better pictures of it too. 

Very Alloway looking, really neat roadster.

Here's a couple I've done over the years. This one from the Revell kit. I couldn't tell you where a lot of the parts came from that are on it, and don't think it had an engine in it.

32roadster12.JPG.3a2502b17d9f4a77388d3ba599c4ab5d.JPG

32roadster10.JPG.f7f2173aae841eef844c90f6baa8aec6.JPG

32roadster7.JPG.6bc1d2f825849802662360310b50d6f9.JPG

This Big Deuce has looked like this for a solid 10-12 years. One day I'll finish it.
BDpainted2.JPG.83adebe0603ea0e41927b6da172ed24b.JPG

• Like 4

That Roadster is pretty cool Eric, engine or no engine. The color looks very much like Ferrari's Blue Pozzi. Looking black most of the time but very obviously blue under certain light.

And I definitely hear you on the big Deuce. I have some projects that are in some box in a bigger box, somewhere in the garage and have not seen light in over a decade. 

This is a build from about 15 years ago. Engine, wheels and tires from Revell '40 Ford Convert, MCG photo-etch grill and gauges. aluminum tubing exhaust routed through the frame. Other details include plumbed brake lines, fuel lines, and various hoses. Doors cut open and hinged. 

IMG_1985.thumb.jpeg.7a814bd4ce1bd60d627294cd642c17d8.jpegIMG_1983.thumb.jpeg.61b0daea61f3f3f0899a0d8c7064efa4.jpegIMG_1982.thumb.jpeg.9ab71be0d477a4a64b28c9547d6bf357.jpegIMG_1981.thumb.jpeg.a591a6bbc55dd73d9e01a778b5cf5ec8.jpegIMG_1980.thumb.jpeg.9a6a1b6651a93a588a98f9339c8b567c.jpeg

Edited by Watertown
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, mrm said:

Great classic roadster Mike. I love the knobs on the dash. Little details like that make all the difference. 

Thanks. Loving your much more contemporary take on this kit. I wish Revell had considered offering stock versions of these kits. 

Now, if I've built far too many Deuces in general, I've really built too many roadsters. Here are a some pics each of a few (all Revell 1/25th):

This is my most recent completion from a few months back - Classic black flathead powered highboy:

DSCF7623-web.jpg
DSCF7647-web.jpg
DSCF7637-web.jpg
DSCF7649-web.jpg

Full fendered:

DSCF1936-web.jpg
DSCF1933-web.jpg
DSCF1929-web.jpg

Bare metal Hemi powered highboy:

DSCF7223-web-1024.jpg
DSCF7224-web-1024.jpg
Details-Final-Web-1024.jpg

Candy apple lo-boy:

DSCF1920.jpg
DSCF1908-B.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/8/2020 at 4:37 PM, mrm said:

Thank you David, I appreciate it. 

As a matter of fact, I am finishing the couple of little details tonight and calling it ALL done. I know it has been a wile, but I had some very turbulent times in my life since last time at Heartland. Add a move from Colorado to Tennessee and the whole Covid BS and you can see why this was not finished. I am just trying to get back into building something, but my everyday life is fighting me hard on it. LOL

I have to snap some new and better pictures of it too. 

Sorry to hear of your problems. I hope you're able to get everything straightened  out.   

15 minutes ago, espo said:

Sorry to hear of your problems. I hope you're able to get everything straightened  out.   

Thank you. Aside from losing $230 000 in a court battle involving my house, everything will be fine. LOL

When is the next Heartland Show going to be and what is the theme next year? 

7 hours ago, mrm said:

Thank you. Aside from losing $230 000 in a court battle involving my house, everything will be fine. LOL

When is the next Heartland Show going to be and what is the theme next year? 

#1. Sounds like you need a good  real estate attorney . #2 They usually are around the second week in June, just when we go to a Jeep Jamboree so I may miss it again in2021. 

33 minutes ago, espo said:

#1. Sounds like you need a good  real estate attorney . #2 They usually are around the second week in June, just when we go to a Jeep Jamboree so I may miss it again in2021. 

Naaahhhh....it's done. I meant I already lost the battle and it end up costing me $230, which left me with no house and money after paying for it for 15 years. But I still have my lovely wife, two wonderful kids and would consider all of us pretty healthy. The rest is replaceable. now I just wear my few extra white hairs as battle scars, try to smile more and not take pretty much anything too seriously anymore. Did I mention that I still have my hobby? Oh, yeah...and this place which I still enjoy visiting. 

As a matter of fact, my hobby has been instrumental in keeping my sanity and also not reaching for the bottle too often, more than once. 

@mrm I love your flamed roadster. As Eric said, it looks like it could be straight out of Alloway's shop!

Here's my Roadster contributions.

Revell Rat Roaster body channeled over 5-Window chassis. Chassis back-dated with Revell '40 Ford cross members and rear axle. Heavily kit-bashed Buick "Nailhead" with early Ford 3-speed trans. Revell '29 Roadster wheels, tires and finned brake drums. Modified Monogram '30 Phaeton seat and side panels with Revell '40 dash, column and wheel. Tamiya Racing White paint. Resin stylized roadster top from Drag City Casting which I created the master for.

1605069486775-vi.jpg

1605069509580-vi.jpg

1605069542967-vi.jpg

1605069594822-vi.jpg

1605069619014-vi.jpg

1605069531467-vi.jpg

1605069683031-vi.jpg

1605069657498-vi.jpg

Revell '32 HiBoy Roadster with their '32 Sedan Flathead engine and 5-spoke American's. Interior made to look like a work in progress with unfinished upholstery, Revell '40 dash and AMT '40 Ford seat. Resin stylized roadster top by Drag City Casting which I created the master for. Tamiya Flat and Gloss Black. This model was built 10 years ago and intended to look like an unfinished driver.

1605069843986-vi.jpg

1605069858617-vi.jpg

1605069868143-vi.jpg

1605069884429-vi.jpg

1605070024623-vi.jpg

1605069978668-vi.jpg

1605069999596-vi.jpg

1605070033507-vi.jpg

• Like 4