Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Chevy Cab forward concept van

My next brain child is a concept I had with last year's CBR... The project never got off the ground or left my mind...  until about a month ago. I am taking it slow and hoping it won't snowball any further. I have plans to open the back doors and finish it as a mobile model car sales delivery service  (which we all could've used during the past year)? 

Screenshot_20201108-224730_Gallery.jpg

20201108_223846.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 12:08 PM, Sam I Am said:

I do want to know how many kits were sacrificed for your brain child though.

I used two Suburban kits but the left overs from the second one will become a Good Humor 60's style ice cream truck... so technically neither of the trucks will be sacrificed. I'm building molds for door jambs and inner door frames now.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! I'll be getting back to this soon ... I've picked the color (Grabber yellow) It has to be finished by March...

I officiated this year's Cannonball Run Community build and the voting poll is up... I would really appreciate if you could take a moment, review the entries, and Please vote for your favorite Cannonballer build! THANKS AGAIN FOR THE SUPPORT!

Screenshot_20200823-222823~2.png

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, back for an update or more of a refresh rather. I'm gonna make this my highest priority when I get the remodel of the hobby room done. I'm working hard to replace the flooring, mostly just cosmetic stuff but I will be getting all new cabinets,  desk and new chair also. Hopefully we'll have it done by the months end.

Meanwhile I've got all my stuff packed up and I'm having withdrawals after only two days... So I grabbed these two off the top just to see what I could do. I'm working on the interior and engine bay details. More to come, it is still in it's infancy but I do have big plans...

20210202_201721.jpg

20210203_174204.jpg

20210203_174235.jpg

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

🎼 "Come along and Lets ride on that fantastic Voyage" 🎼 slide, glide, slippity-slide Just forget about your troubles and your 9 to 5 " 😄😆😁

Cue the music for a little Lakeside Stank! I'm officially putting this build back in action! 

No time to waste as I want to finish this by the beginning of March! Can it be done?

I'm wondering now if I should close the panel up on the inside of the door and give it some definition? Or should it be smooth like a van on the outside?

I don't know what in the H&MBanking I'm doing here but I'm gonna throw the world 🌎 at this long stalled project and attempt to pull off the build in just over a month! Can it be done? That's the question 🤔 Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

20220131_142515.jpg

20220131_142709.jpg

Thanks guys! I'm gonna try to put close to 40 hrs in a week til it's done so I'm committed from sure. I just don't have a lot of time to decide what to do... I'm working on extending the dash now and l'm using Revell 66 Elcamino seats and I have to scratchbuild a front floor board too. It's both fun and terrifying at the same time. 😄😆😁

20220131_182143.jpg

20220131_183039.jpg

Update! I'm making progress but not as quickly as I would like. Brainstorming some wheel choices. 🤔 working on door hinges, interior construction, body work... still unsure what I want this to be... back to it!

Screenshot_20220201-114337_Gallery.jpg

20220201_120706.jpg

20220201_120049.jpg

Edited by disconovaman
  • Like 1

Great idea, looks like a concept GM would've used back in the 60s. 

One question is, will there be enough room to stick the engine between the front seats? Maybe it'll have to be a straight six?

I think, factory-wise, the cargo doors would've been straight upright, with no slant, in order to load things into the back. But it's your vision - carry on as you see it.

4 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I think, factory-wise, the cargo doors would've been straight upright, with no slant, in order to load things into the back. But it's your vision - carry on as you see it.

Probably one of the design flaws on my part for sure, but I'll just have to call it a "Learn from my mistakes" and keep moving at this point. I'm hopeful that the finished project will look uniform enough that it won't be as noticeable... 

17 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

One question is, will there be enough room to stick the engine between the front seats?

What is unique about the cab forward design is it doesn't require the engine to set back. The engine is in the stock location. The Body is the only thing that changed. I had to move the firewall forward and the dash back. It's crazy how it works because if there's a head on collision the driver will likely eat the engine. Not really a smart design for safety. 😁 I like the 6cyl idea too. 

My initial plan was to paint this thing 1970 Grabber Yellow. Now that I've had over a year to think about it, maybe I should go with something more period correct... I'm leaning towards a factory stock look with maybe a company logo on the panels... I still have to come up with something for that.

The wheels will either be body color or black with the wheel covers painted white.. (if I paint the body Wimbledon white) which I know is a Ford color but I think chevy had a version of cream white also... I'm gonna give it a think. meanwhile here is some choices I have in mind...

ffc13c_wr27-gp.png.png

ffffe8_dztq-o8.png

EasyWeedSeafoamGreen_2f9d4a01-12d6-4016-8fc3-54e42d7f8d62_1024x1024~2.jpg

Edited by disconovaman