Model Cars Magazine Forum

Invision Forum Enable Post Likes/Reactions?

Jordan White

To whomever has access to the forum software, as well as to the general public here, what are your thoughts on enabling the post reactions feature for the forum? I know that people aren't posting as much on threads, and this way with the likes/reactions, people could easily still show that they appreciate a post or build even if they don't feel like making a text post. It would also be usable for any topics where members voting on builds are being conducted. It appears pretty similar to the system used on Facebook, and I know there that it is an easy way to see the thoughts on subjects and posts.

We have discussed this numerous times. We feel if we allow reactions, we would get even fewer responses. People would just click (Thumbs Up) and move on. Not everyone of course, but a fairly large number would.

Personally, I feel that reactions are just another way of dumbing down or removing human interaction from society.

It gets disheartening at times putting forth effort to post WIPs and other topics and receiving little or no feedback.  This is a forum after all and a forum is defined as: a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

I concur I do not see a reaction button a good thing. I agree that it would encourage less interaction. Do we really need to make the site more like facebook or other social media.

People feel slighted when they post and gets lots of views but no comments. However if one is not a logged in then it generates as a view. If you look at the number of users at the bottom of the page there are more visitors than logged in users. Not sure but I would think that would be the same case if there was a reaction button(only logged users would have access to the button).

The real solution is to be more responsive.

19 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I think it would be good to have like/dislike/etc buttons.  Sometimes a like is all a post needs, and not a comment.  

I for the most part agree! How many responses do you need that have just one word {Nice} or some silly emoji?  Not really what I would call being part of the forum.. Some forums have a min. number {5-10} of words before it will post, I would rather see something like that

Edited by Painted Black

Just now, Painted Black said:

I for the most part agree! How many responses do you need that have just one word {Nice} or some silly emoji?  Not really what I would call being part of the forum..

The best are when someone quotes a post w/ a bunch of photos only to add a one word reply....

I like it the way it is. I don't mind if I get only one comment, I'm just happy my builds get a look. Before I joined the forum I did my first build in over twenty years and just wanted to show it to someone, anyone, haha. If you add a thumbs up option you'd have to also add a thumbs down option. The purpose for that (supposedly) is for posts to find it's place in an algorithm where the most popular post sits higher up in the list based on most liked, it also (again supposedly) it learns what you like, though I still get darn car videos in my YouTube home page! When I watch YouTube videos, I very rarely thumb anything up because..... I can't be bothered. I leave comments a lot more often. YouTubes algorithms are questionable and kind of bias anyway. What I'm saying is, there isn't really much purpose for it other than placing the most liked post at the top, and only the most skilled of builder would likely be there. Thumbing a post down rather than give some creative criticism leaves you wondering what they didn't like. I'd much prefer criticism over an anonymous dislike.

IMO, if you want "likes", go to Facebook - I'm here, and not on FB for a reason.

I also participate in another forum that has  "likes" and "dislikes" and calls them "respect rating".  To me those are pain in he but,t and cause all sorts of friction.  I hope mods will leave the forum "like-free".

I also think that people who crave praise on the forum are like the "trophy whores" at model contests.  When I build and post something here, it is to show what I accomplished, and hopefully give others some new ideas for building their models.  I don't do it expecting oodles of "likes" or "greay model" replies.  I rather see some actual comments posted on my builds.

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

The best are when someone quotes a post w/ a bunch of photos only to add a one word reply....

Yes, that is extremely silly!  Since you are posting in the thread about that model, just reply with your praise without quoting anything, we all already know what that praise is for. :wacko:

On 11/9/2020 at 2:40 PM, peteski said:

IMO, if you want "likes", go to Facebook - I'm here, and not on FB for a reason.

I also participate in another forum that has  "likes" and "dislikes" and calls them "respect rating".  To me those are pain in he but,t and cause all sorts of friction.  I hope mods will leave the forum "like-free".

I also think that people who crave praise on the forum are like the "trophy whores" at model contests.  When I build and post something here, it is to show what I accomplished, and hopefully give others some new ideas for building their models.  I don't do it expecting oodles of "likes" or "greay model" replies.  I rather see some actual comments posted on my builds.

I agree 100%.

We all need to be more communicative rather finding ways not to communicate. 

Like is meaningless what is it you like. Surely typing a few words expressing what you like can't be that hard. Likewise dislike is meaningless. Is it the subject matter, color stance, ..? 

Better communication is important.

A pity that social media appears to have become detrimental to various forums. 

Facebook for example seems to have become like Spectre from James Bond in some respects with its spreading tentacles becoming ever reaching into many different things.I

Emotion symbols on this site or tick boxes for like or dislike I feel would not be a good idea on a site like this where proper replies should be encouraged.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

12 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

A pity that social media appears to have become detrimental to various forums. 

I agree - Facebook groups are quick and easy to make, and everyone gets to be head honcho of their own little site, but good luck searching for a cool post you saw on facebook 2 years ago to find some reference info.

I've got a Facebook account so I can follow some of the model clubs who don't post on here or have 'real' websites, but that's about all it's useful for to me.  That said, I like my little Instagram page, and it has a lot of followers and commenters who aren't on here, but same deal - good luck searching for that useful piece of info you found on there years ago, or following an in-progress build from start to finish.

20 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

I like Tom and Russell's light hearted bit of banter in the last two posts. Nothing like not taking ourselves too seriously!

Don't get me started. Poor as I am, I can't afford Tom's approval rate, but I could award him a bright blue star instead. I'm Sirius about that. =)