Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finally off the bench! Barely 'Cuda

Darin Bastedo

This is a rare and special moment for me. I've finished a model. Eight and a half months ago I began work on Barely 'Cuda, but the original concept started creeping into my brain nearly 15 years ago. it started out as a sketch I did of Hemi 'Cuda convetible with a chopped windshield and some 60's style mag wheels.

As it goes with many good ideas there was always another project that took priority. Then back in January of this year I drew this sketch...

BarelyCuda2-vi.jpg

The image of it infected my mind to the point that I simply had to start cutting plastic. I pulled out a Monogram 1971 Hemi 'Cuda Street machine and a Monogram Callaway Corvette Speedster. This is what Barely 'Cuda first started out as....

DSCF1678-vi.jpg

This is what the first cuts produced...

DSCF1668-vi.jpg

DSCF1669-vi.jpg

DSCF1671-vi.jpg

As the project progressed, the designed changed quite a bit from the original drawing, I deleted the chrome bumpers, the wheels changed, The AAR hood was replaced with a twin scoop hood, the rockers were altered to wrap down under the chassis, and there is a full belly pan that doubles as ground effects tunnel.

I finally settled on a vanity plate for her. I nearly knocked myself out slapping my forehead when I came up with it. It says "PINK SLIP". The dash has a custom dash panel with all the usual gauges, but has a special gauge in the center labeled "License Points".

Now that I've caught up the un-initiated with the history of this project, here she is... The finished Barely 'Cuda!...

DSCF4597-vi.jpg

DSCF4600-vi.jpg

DSCF4602-vi.jpg

DSCF4603-vi.jpg

DSCF4604-vi.jpg

DSCF4607-vi.jpg

DSCF4609-vi.jpg

DSCF4610-vi.jpg

DSCF4618-vi.jpg

DSCF4620-vi.jpg

It felt really good putting up an albumn for this car in my "Finished Models" Folder. Thanks for encouaging, inspiring and helping me along with this project. I have a few others nearing completion soon. Hopefully they will be as trouble free as this one has been.

Darin

I've been following this project since the start. It is like seeing a nephew been born or something :(

It turned out GREAT! I prefer the hood you used over the original design. I absolutely love the tail lights and the whole back end.

Now if I may suggest, Can you go back to the Charger III concept project? please? :(

Thanks,

I've been following this project since the start. It is like seeing a nephew been born or something :(

It turned out GREAT! I prefer the hood you used over the original design. I absolutely love the tail lights and the whole back end.

Now if I may suggest, Can you go back to the Challenger III concept project? please? :(

Thanks,

I think you mean the Charger III. that one has been in progress for a while. and much of the progress is tough to photograph. much of it involves designing and engineering the new drive train for it. rest assured you will se major progress on that one in the next few weeks.

• 5 years later...