Model Cars Magazine Forum

Serious Race Rig

I have just figured out what my next project is going to be... I was checking Pinterest out, and I found this thing... A 3D model of the coolest race rig I've ever seen... And then, I found out that this truck, actually, exists... Then, there were a few more concept drawings that really peaked my interest....I saw it, and I just knew it was something I wanted to do... Not sure how much detail I'll add, but I've got to get to work and figure out how I'm going to build this thing...Definitely, looking for more pics of it... If anybody has anything different on this, please feel free to post it, here... I want to build this...

Anyway... This is killer.... Time to get to work...

Oh... And you know I'm going to put my own special stamp on this.... ?

###############5bfa292eeae2f3fe4f63362c724f5a6e.jpg

###############74c3619b940a4e055e5cd57175fd998b.jpg

###############051088fdf52670b18669336768129f80.jpg

###############d3e92b85be40f52389757927bb3f1a38.jpg

###############d542f4804a45c6476c6827be58cdfcf8.jpg

####################c9bba13a860d03ff5b384d06c7ee0a24.jpg

####################c0f66f5018ac1d8d3c2f992b2bdbb246.jpg

I'm really diggin' this interior layout... Wow!!! This one might take a while...

####################187ca00cb9cc2101b735f3417145aa16.jpg

####################9a6ffc1571549e2f4185d557dabb6891.jpg

###############0d2d17fac206efc3d942e905e9b68800.jpg

#####################8fed87a6ee2aa08f2ca92c4e35cddb25.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

16 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Trying to picture how one would access the engine.

That was the first thing I was thinking, but I guess it would be like a van or something... Access from the inside, somewhere... Like I said, I need more pictures, because I'm just as curious... ?

13 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Or turn a corner...

LOL!!! That, too... The fact that this thing exists, denotes somebody can...

I’ve seen pictures of this one before, too! What a neat project it’ll be. It’s right up my alley, as well. Go for it! 

I was wondering about engine access too. Like a front engine Class A RV, I bet they have a removable doghouse cover inside, and much of the exterior front opens up. If I remember correctly, the Argosy has a pretty large “hood” area surrounding the grille that opens/lifts away for general servicing and maintenance. Not as convenient as a conventional, or even a tilting cabover, but possible, much like a rear engine bus. Will the service techs be happy when this rolls in? Probably not. But I’m sure they’ll charge the added labor costs for the extra time.

Turning radius? Big. But, probably no worse than many of the stretched conventional trucks, or a bus. And yeah, I know, you wouldn’t see a Greyhound pulling a 53’ race trailer, but some RVs and stackers come close.

Now, the color question is answered. What about the cab? A resin A&N Freightliner Argosy is hard to find (I wish they’d make another run). Do you have one, or will you substitute another cabover?

Edited by vincen47

2 hours ago, vincen47 said:

I’ve seen pictures of this one before, too! What a neat project it’ll be. It’s right up my alley, as well. Go for it! 

I was wondering about engine access too. Like a front engine Class A RV, I bet they have a removable doghouse cover inside, and much of the exterior front opens up. If I remember correctly, the Argosy has a pretty large “hood” area surrounding the grille that opens/lifts away for general servicing and maintenance. Not as convenient as a conventional, or even a tilting cabover, but possible, much like a rear engine bus. Will the service techs be happy when this rolls in? Probably not. But I’m sure they’ll charge the added labor costs for the extra time.

Turning radius? Big. But, probably no worse than many of the stretched conventional trucks, or a bus. And yeah, I know, you wouldn’t see a Greyhound pulling a 53’ race trailer, but some RVs and stackers come close.

Now, the color question is answered. What about the cab? A resin A&N Freightliner Argosy is hard to find (I wish they’d make another run). Do you have one, or will you substitute another cabover?

Thanks, Bud... I've been running through my mind all the ways to attack this one, as well... I don't think the A&N Argosy will help much, anyway, as the only thing that I think they have in common are the mirrors, steps and windshield, LOL... Even the front end looks different... I'm going to have to figure a way to scratch up the cab... My main concern is the curved windshield and the curvature of the roof down the sides... I've got enough plastic... Just need to think outside the box a little bit...

1 hour ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Great project! Maybe you could start with an Astro cab and modify it from there. Maybe not exact replica but a very similar one off JT signature rig.

This will be cool whatever direction you go.

Trust me... I've been exploring options for a donor cab for the front end of this thing... I was eyeballing that very cab... I think that it will be out of that one and a MB Actros front end.. With some modifications to the bumper, I think I could do well with it...Or even a Scania...

Edited by kilrathy10

• 2 weeks later...