Model Cars Magazine Forum

ALF Aero Chief Finished

I've finally finished this thing... This was a pretty fun build, as I was able to add a few things that I always felt needed to be... I extended the frame to add a tag axle, Moebius wheels and tires, homemade light bars, and of course, painted it orange.... ? There a few more mods, but those are the main ones.... I plan on building all three of the AMT released versions of this truck... Here's the first...

SAM_9062.JPG

SAM_9058.JPG

SAM_9052.JPG

SAM_9055.JPG

SAM_9050.JPG

SAM_9049.JPG

SAM_9043.JPG

SAM_9042.JPG

SAM_9033.JPG

SAM_8998.JPG

SAM_8996.JPG

SAM_8985.JPG

SAM_9016.JPG

SAM_8990.JPG

##############################SAM_9003.JPG

##############################SAM_9062.thumb.JPG.2ba9e8457dd686742d04b8f02906513f.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

Looks really nice, JT.  I like your set-up.  Just a small note on your chock blocks: you should have them on both front tires, but not touching the tires.  In reality, the outriggers will lift the weight off the rear tires.  Just a little help.

Nice rig, Just some wonderings: orange basket instead of black, or mixed black/orange one, do you plan on taillights,

You can use clear tubing on the cylinder rams to keep the booms extended, just slice it down one side and slip it on the ram.

with this color combo what is the ladder going to be?

greg

Thanks, Guys... I appreciate all the comments and input... This was a bit of a departure from the norm, for me... 

2 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Nice rig, Just some wonderings: orange basket instead of black, or mixed black/orange one, do you plan on taillights,

You can use clear tubing on the cylinder rams to keep the booms extended, just slice it down one side and slip it on the ram.

with this color combo what is the ladder going to be?

greg

Yeah... I kind of forgot about the rear arrow tail lights... I have to add them along with painting the fronts... And, I really like the clear tubing idea... I will definitely give that one a shot... Thanks... I'll post pics after I do....

10 hours ago, Jim B said:

Looks really nice, JT.  I like your set-up.  Just a small note on your chock blocks: you should have them on both front tires, but not touching the tires.  In reality, the outriggers will lift the weight off the rear tires.  Just a little help.

Thanks for the tip on the chocks... I was wondering about weather or not the outriggers would do that... I have taken note... Glad to have some guys that know something about fire apparatus.... Beyond what I see around town, I know nothing about these things... ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, kap64 said:

Do you have any pics of the frame and axle mods?

Oh yeah... Just check the WIP posts for ALF Fire Chief... Currently on page 3, but here is one of them... Very simple mods using what I had on hand... Mostly for strength...

##########20200922_112544.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10