Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:1 "kitbash" of Cord and Auburn boattail speedster.

Ugh. Needs to lose 18 inches from between the cockpit and the rear wheels, and get the bottoms of the pontoon front fenders parallel with the  ground, And what is going on with those weird 'scoops' in front of the rear fenders?

Is it bad that my first thought was, why didn't they sand down the parting lines on the fenders. That was the very first thing that caught my attention.

I agree, needs a substantially shorter WB

I do like the color combination though.

6 hours ago, Xingu said:

Is it bad that my first thought was, why didn't they sand down the parting lines on the fenders. That was the very first thing that caught my attention.

I agree, needs a substantially shorter WB

I do like the color combination though.

Not bad! - I get what you mean. They do jar the eye - and it goes downhill from there for me. It doesn't look as if the bonnet louvres are open for air to pass through. And are they exhaust tailpipes I can see in front of the rear wheels? 

A few more pictures can be found here.  https://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=49492&country=us

Gotta love the description:

It began with replica parts for a Cord and Auburn.   Then this stunning creation became a one of a kind work of art with no expense spared.   Only the best professional craftsmen were used in each stage of building.   It is now complete and has only 156 miles showing on the odometer.   From top to bottom. bumper to bumper. the body and chassis have all been professionally treated to the best of the best.   The rebuilt 460 Ford engine and automatic transmission propel this jewel smoothly down the road.   The deep cream and green finishes and high grade luxurious leather interior attract crowds wherever it goes.

I have seen factory replicas starting at $68. 00 that do not come close to this one.   I have simply gone to far now having more cars than space. I am proud to offer this car for sale and feel confident it will be a complete joy to its new owner.

I didn't claim this to be the prettiest custom, but posted it as food for thought for those considering kitbashing Lindberg's Cord and Auburn kits.  I'm not sure what the 1:1 kitbashers used to make the custom.  The hood's contours differ quite a bit from stock, and yeah those wacky vents make no sense.

For fun, here's what a real Cord looks like stretched two feet.  It's an older custom, mounted on an apparent Chrysler chassis.

https://www.undiscoveredclassics.com/sport-customs/1937-longwheelbase-supercharged-cord-phaeton-part-1/