Model Cars Magazine Forum

Most durable chrome painting option(s)?

There are a few chrome paints such as Alclad, Spaz Stix and Molotow and a few clear coats for going over chrome paint.

I need to paint an exhaust system that will go through tubes in a frame so I need the chrome paint to be somewhat durable.  I'd like the exhaust system to look like stainless steel.  I've used Molotow but it's soft.  I used Spaz Stix Ultimate Clear Coat over the Molotow but it dulls it a bit which is OK.

I'm concerned Molotow might fade over time since it's an ink and not paint.

Any ideas?

Edited by crowe-t

In the past I have used Model Master Stainless Steel Metalizer spray paint. This could be buffed to a nice sheen with a Q-Tip and then sprayed with their Metalizer Sealer so that the finish wouldn't rub off on the surrounding chassis parts. This would leave a pretty convincing looking exhaust system.   

I catch a lot of grief from some members of this board because of the cost, but Alsa Easy chrome with there new clear coat is the most durable "chrome" out there.  They have a new clear coat that they are selling for $80 a gallon(yea, I know, you don't need a gallon) but the introductory kit includes 4 ounces of easy clear. Since their 2 oz hobby kit is $139, thats not a bad deal.  https://alsacorp.com

I'm having VERY good results with the Deco-Color Premium marker, available in the crafts section of Walmart. It's at least 90-95% as shiny as Molotow, dries to the touch in a couple hours, is MUCH more durable when cured than Molotow, and costs about 1/3-1/4 as much. 

That's what's on the side chrome trim of this '66 4-4-2 glue bomb I just "rescued," and it looks better in person than it does in the pic. (The window and roof trim are my regular beloved Silver Sharpie.)

66OldsGB024.jpg.dd4b239a8fb5b84def4d6b38499b6a1e.jpg

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I'm having VERY good results with the Deco-Color Premium marker, available in the crafts section of Walmart. It's at least 90-95% as shiny as Molotow, dries to the touch in a couple hours, is MUCH more durable when cured than Molotow, and costs about 1/3-1/4 as much. 

That's what's on the side chrome trim of this '66 4-4-2 glue bomb I just "rescued," and it looks better in person than it does in the pic. (The window and roof trim are my regular beloved Silver Sharpie.)

Is that the Leafing Pen?

On 11/12/2020 at 10:53 AM, Snake45 said:

The WM stores here don't seem to carry those.  A web search revealed two different products, Decocolor and Deco Color...which is the one to look for?

24 minutes ago, Mark said:

The WM stores here don't seem to carry those.  A web search revealed two different products, Decocolor and Deco Color...which is the one to look for?

The one in my link. If your Walmart doesn't have it, you can order it through the website for pickup at your local store. 

9 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The one in my link. If your Walmart doesn't have it, you can order it through the website for pickup at your local store. 

Jeez! I checked your link and Walmart shows it’s out of stock already! Guess your tip rallied all the hoarders!?

Edited by JohnU
Spelling

17 hours ago, JohnU said:

Jeez! I checked your link and Walmart shows it’s out of stock already! Guess your tip rallied all the hoarders!?

Huh. I looked at the page and couldn't find "out of stock" anywhere. I clicked to add one to my "cart," then tried to see what the cart says, but it won't let me look. 

Also very weird: Walmart now seems to have a $35 minimum to order. Never saw that before. 

On the bright side, my local store had four or five of them on the rack this morning. I bought two more, $3.97 each. When you find something that works, stock up while you can still get it. B)

11 minutes ago, Mark said:

Michael's is closing out that marker.  I picked one up yesterday for $2.97.  Because it's a closeout item there, you can't apply a coupon to it, but I figure $3 is reasonable enough.

Go back and get some more. Once they're opened, they don't last forever, though my first one did last several months and several models. 

I'm now on my second one, which I bought several months ago, so they don't go bad "new." 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 9:50 AM, espo said:

In the past I have used Model Master Stainless Steel Metalizer spray paint. This could be buffed to a nice sheen with a Q-Tip and then sprayed with their Metalizer Sealer so that the finish wouldn't rub off on the surrounding chassis parts. This would leave a pretty convincing looking exhaust system.   

This is the route I would go. This stuff seems to be getting harder to find though. 

17 hours ago, Brutalform said:

This is the route I would go. This stuff seems to be getting harder to find though. 

I'm afraid that with Rust Oleum  taking over Model Master that this and many other paints we all use are going away. 

• 1 month later...

I did test some Alclad Aqua Gloss over the Alclad Chrome and it's durable.  I tested it on spoons.  Both spoons have the Alclad Chrome.  I sprayed Aqua Gloss over the chrome on one spoon and it's only very slightly duller.  It's worth the slight difference in appearance considering how durable the clear is.

Edited by crowe-t

23 minutes ago, stevez said:

Definitely, the chrome wears off when rubbed. I've tried both.  To make chrome durable try Future.

So just to be clear, Alclad Silver Candy Base paint is more durable than Alclad Chrome over gloss black (without any need for extra top clear coat like Future)? That is how I understood your earlier post.