Model Cars Magazine Forum

RM Mack w snowblower....

On 11/21/2020 at 2:22 PM, hct728(Bob) said:

Nice replication! You’re brave for taking it on to start with, but your vision and persistence is really paying off! 

Haha ! Yeah its been one of the more challenging builds I've worked on.  I'm making parts for a friend too so double of everything. 

Neat project and very nice work so far.

When I lived in the Sierras there were a bunch of snowplows and snow blowers around, the more common were just Ford, International etc dump trucks with plows, but there were some big Oshkosh plows that came out when it started snowing really hard. When the big plows couldn't keep up the snow blowers came out. That was a good indicator to me that it was time to stay home. ?

Edited by Aaronw

17 hours ago, DrKerry said:

Looks awesome Jeff!!! 

Thanks  ! I've been trying to steal a few minutes each day to work on it , but ya know its tough to come by . Glad to see ya back Kerry 

3 hours ago, Vettegasser said:

Good to have u back nitro. Awesome build also

Thanks ! 

On 11/23/2020 at 2:36 AM, Aaronw said:

Neat project and very nice work so far.

When I lived in the Sierras there were a bunch of snowplows and snow blowers around, the more common were just Ford, International etc dump trucks with plows, but there were some big Oshkosh plows that came out when it started snowing really hard. When the big plows couldn't keep up the snow blowers came out. That was a good indicator to me that it was time to stay home. ?

Thanks , I'd imagine the snow removal crews would be very busy working in the Sierra!  Thats typically what happens around here too, one area drifts really heavy, and out comes the blower..or the monster V blade Walter that lives nearby .

Haha staying home when the big trucks come out to play  ! I'm conflicted because I'd love to see it clearing roads , yet know the amount of work it demands ...guess we'll see 

After many tries wrapping an auger,  a tech at work made a suggestion that seemed worth trying. I was using a punch size similar to drive shaft diameter.  He suggested going up a few sizes to allow blades to rotate more...I owe him a cold beer 

20201126_105646.thumb.jpg.328d3de8364bf8d2555e073338436729.jpg

Now to flip the blade pitch and make the other side and start the bottom auger . I ended up gluing them like a W or M depending way it spins, creating a drift buster ..really makes the machine look more rugged now just glue repeat 20201126_100656.thumb.jpg.58eec57738aa20a873a3da1917843c16.jpg

Tiny update , I've been working on the discharge chutes that send all that pummeled snow airborne, or loaded into trucks to get hauled away. Theres 2 sections that are hydraulically extended by driver , so I started w the lower one. I drew about 8 patterns before committing plastic..sanding /filing away the excess then laminating onto spare sheet bits ending up w a pair of sides . Triangles and circles lol20201129_112143.thumb.jpg.5327a4ed07cb9f410e412ca0e3511006.jpg

20201201_153240.thumb.jpg.bb573245e7470b14150bcec4a050e9d1.jpg

20201201_154140.thumb.jpg.d78d5a7613c83e0440bc45f5ad689cb3.jpg

Adding more curved strips along the sides and top finally produced a chute . I realized if I bevel the edges the parts fit tighter....I tend to ignore the obvious lol

20201201_134407.thumb.jpg.5418e9606506f11ed1fe6c7b3e932b8f.jpg20201201_134402.thumb.jpg.fa3c68b293842c1e84ecba547ebf6369.jpg

The outside chute was built similar,  and will cover the first or be displayed deployed..haven't decided. 

Another object i absolutely wanted to add was the sawtooth drift breaker inside the bank head. Laying out strip then marking out close enough gaps i cut grooves w the wheel of death w a this cut wheel then flossed w sandpaper 20201128_170025.thumb.jpg.53c48138239e766265799f6415cb360f.jpg

20201128_170007.thumb.jpg.cb4b4ae3cbdd8a5d95560ce04776713b.jpg

Yes...thats another bank head underway..my buddy plow chaser wanted one for a build , its like a Sicard assembly line !!!  Best part is learning different ways of making multiple parts w different details 

Marking out sheet for the 2nd impeller body,  and this image turned up..extra points if ya know who this character is !!! Yeah my daughter has dad well versed in cartoons

20201128_172304.thumb.jpg.c11051931c17bf913e29bf0b0bc0f207.jpg

Jeff.

This is an awesome project.And it looks to me that you are really doing a great job on it thus far .

Having grown up in South Florida . Snow plows are totally alien to me. But I do find them fascinating vehicles.

Be Well

Gator

15 hours ago, canman said:

Excellent work 

Thanks I appreciate the feedback 

9 hours ago, gatorincebu said:

Jeff.

This is an awesome project.And it looks to me that you are really doing a great job on it thus far .

Having grown up in South Florida . Snow plows are totally alien to me. But I do find them fascinating vehicles.

Be Well

Gator

Gator ! How have ya been ? Great to see ya on here been awhile 

Thanks for the comments,  yeah we cold weather folks have the enjoyment?? of seeing these monsters roam the roads 

Nice work on this. It looks like you’ve got those auger flights figured out. Scratch building, although frustrating at times, is also very rewarding...and a great way to while away the hours. ? Carry on!

Edited by NOBLNG

Great work on the auger, looking at the photo's you posted I can see how difficult it would have been to work out how to fabricate it, looks like you nailed it though, great scratch building on this complicated project, really enjoying watching this build. 

So a minor setback..seems i can't read my own notes ! I had to pop the head apart and rebuild it larger . I confirmed my suspicion w Jim's book. Mine was 1/8 narrow by 1/4 short . Adding new sides and top got me back on track. 

Thanks for the comments I appreciate them !