Model Cars Magazine Forum

Review a Movie!

Snake45

Have you seen a good movie lately? Or a bad one? Tell us about it with a brief review. Doesn't matter if you saw it in a theater, on TV, or via DVD, Netflix, etc. Doesn't have to be a new movie, either, just something you've seen recently and is available. Maybe you can turn someone else on to an obscure gem, or save somebody a couple hours time. 

I'll start: 

Crazy Rich Asians (HBOMAX): I was under the impression that this was a zany comedy like Bridesmaids or something. I was wrong--VERY wrong. It's a chick-flick, the kind of thing the Hallmark Network lives on but a little better done. Not horrible but not much reason to watch it IMHO. No laughs, no action, no car chases, only one halfway decent car (some kind of Audi, I think, in a satin metallic rose paint). If your woman insists that you watch something with her, you could do worse than this, but otherwise, let me save you a couple hours of your valuable time. 

The Matrix trilogy (HBOMAX): Not new of course but I hadn't seen it in a while. Saw the first one long ago, and part of the third one (on cable TV), but had never seen the second. The first one is kind of interesting. The second and third just get sillier and sillier. I made extensive use of the "advance 15 seconds" arrow to wade through the numerous and increasingly tedious "kung fu" scenes. The car chase scene had its moments but all things considered wasn't worth trashing a nice '67 Firebird. Some of the gun stuff was okay, other of it, not so much. The guy playing Agent Smith must be one of the world's worst actors. I'm not entirely sorry I spent six hours of my life on this, as it's kind of a cultural touchstone and now I can say I've seen it, but I certainly can't imagine ever watching it again. 

Who's next? B)

The only thing that comes to mind that I've seen lately that wasn't an older movie was "Rocket Man".

A "biographical musical" about the life and career of Elton John.

You would normally have to be into musicals to enjoy a movie like this, (which I am not) but I would venture to say that it must have been pretty good for a musical because even I thought it wasn't bad.

If you can get through the gay sex scenes, (which always make me a little squeamish) it's worth watching if you're an Elton John fan.

Steve

I recently watched 'The Gentlemen' with Hugh Grant, Colin Farrell and Matthew McConaughey.  I usually like director Guy Ritchie's film--I liked 'Snatch', 'Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels', and 'RocknRolla', but this latest outing from him was pretty dull... hard to follow, tedious.  A few decent action scenes and some witty banter, but it fell flat and slow-paced compared to his earlier films, with many of the characters seeming to be retread/variations on a theme.  

Wife and I went to see the Santa Box.  I didn't particularly want to see it, but Wife did.  It's about a young girl who believes she is cursed by Christmas because a series of bad things happened at Christmas time.

Sure, it's a chick flick and geared more for the youth market (there's a bullying plot line), but there is some funny stuff in it and not too sappy.  A nice little movie, especially if you are not in the mood for heavy drama.

A Scanner Darkly.... Excellent Movie! It has an all-star cast, which includes Keanu Reeves, Wynona Ryder, Woody Harrelson, and Robert Downy Jr.. They filmed the entire movie, then went over it with a digital animation, like a "drawing" over the film. It's a real trip to watch..... The premise is well thought out, also. Reeves plays a drug user that is being used by his girlfriend who is an undercover officer (Ryder) to find the source of the drug.......

This is on my "favorite movie" list, I chose to tell you of this one because most of you have probably never heard of it, much less seen it....

Saw Three Christs on cable tv. Watched it because of the actors Richard Gere, Peter Dinklage, Bradley Whitford, and Walter Goggins. Probably wouldn't have been interested but like those actors so gave it a shot and really liked it.

Believe it was based on a real story about these 3 guys who believe they are Jesus Christ so Richard Gere (a doctor) gets them together at a mental institution and it goes on from there. Great acting and you get caught up in the story and how tough it would be to deal with these guys and their belief that they are Jesus especially when all 3 of them are in the same room.

9 hours ago, JollySipper said:

A Scanner Darkly.... Excellent Movie! It has an all-star cast, which includes Keanu Reeves, Wynona Ryder, Woody Harrelson, and Robert Downy Jr.. They filmed the entire movie, then went over it with a digital animation, like a "drawing" over the film. It's a real trip to watch..... The premise is well thought out, also. Reeves plays a drug user that is being used by his girlfriend who is an undercover officer (Ryder) to find the source of the drug.......

This is on my "favorite movie" list, I chose to tell you of this one because most of you have probably never heard of it, much less seen it....

Saw it years ago. Don't remember much about it but the style, but I don't have any lasting negative impressions so if it shows up on a format I have access to, I'll watch it again on your recommendation. For some reason I kind of have it "mentally filed" with the Val Kilmer movie Salton Sea, which was pretty good. Would like to see that one again, too. 

The Rhythm Section, seen on cable last night.  An everyday woman (Blake Lively) who lost her entire family to a terrorist airline bombing goes hunting for the terrorists.  Trained and helped by retired MI-6 agent Jude Law. 

Produced by the same people who do the 007 movies, and it shows.  Lots of globe-trotting and double-dealing plot twists. There's one great car chase thru the narrow, twisty streets of Tangiers. 

Not a movie I'd put at the top of a "Must See" list, but an OK time-filler.  The title comes from Law training Lively in how to shoot:  “Your heart is the drums, your breathing is the bass."     

Upgrade: Sort of a futuristic Death Wish with nods to Six Million Dollar Man, Knight Rider, and 2001.  Two cool cars, a Bandit-era Trans Am and a '70 Challenger. One so-so car chase. Not the very best movie I've ever seen, but not horrible; not a bad way to kill an hour and a half if you can get it for free (I forget if I saw it on Netflix or FXNow). At least it keeps the story moving along. 

11 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Don't remember much about it but the style, but I don't have any lasting negative impressions so if it shows up on a format I have access to, I'll watch it again on your recommendation.

Cool! I liked that movie a lot..... The folks who made it did another movie in the same 'animation over live action' style called "Waking Life".... It's about this kid who gets into deep philosophical conversations with random people. it's pretty good, but not as good as the above mentioned movie.......

Before the Covid lock-down I saw John Wick Three. I know it got rave reviews but IMO it was definitely one of the worst I ever watched. Everyone Wick shot he shot exactly three times, it was predictable to the point of being ridiculous. Really a bad one so if you're thinking about watching it save your time and money.

50 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Baby Driver is a pretty good movie. Saw it at the theater and again on direct. About a young getaway driver and there is plenty of action. Worth a look if you have not seen it.

Thanks for the review. I saw that's available but didn't think too much about it. I'll give it a try on your recommendation! B)

ETA: Found it on FXNow. Started it. Some good driving action in the first few minutes! B)

Edited by Snake45

Hired Gun - a documentary about studio/touring musicians. People have the idea that if you are a professional musician that has played on platinum selling albums, or been a part of sold out stadium tours, that you are rolling in dough and set for life. That's not necessarily the case. This doc covers many different genres of music and tells the story of many musicians for artists we have all heard of. Some of the stories are downright sad.

As someone who dreamed of being a rock star, I enjoyed this doc a lot. 

It's available on Prime video. 

Edited by stinkybritches
Added info

You can catch this one on Turner Classic Movies.  "Armored Car Robbery" from 1950.  Check out those LAPD Fords!

In the clip below, a detective's big touring car comes to grief after a high-speed chase thru downtown Los Angeles.  The driver is stone-faced, gravel-voiced Charles McGraw, star of many films-noir in the late 1940s and early 50s.  He always played either a cop or a gangster.  His career sort of died, then McGraw came back in 1967 with "In Cold Blood," playing the father of killer Perry Smith (Robert Blake). 

Edited by Mike999

On 11/15/2020 at 9:54 AM, Mike999 said:

You can catch this one on Turner Classic Movies.  "Armored Car Robbery" from 1950.  Check out those LAPD Fords!

In the clip below, a detective's big touring car comes to grief after a high-speed chase thru downtown Los Angeles.  The driver is stone-faced, gravel-voiced Charles McGraw, star of many films-noir in the late 1940s and early 50s.  He always played either a cop or a gangster.  His career sort of died, then McGraw came back in 1967 with "In Cold Blood," playing the father of killer Perry Smith (Robert Blake). 

I have seen In Cold Blood good movie about a sad tru story...

On 11/13/2020 at 11:34 PM, JollySipper said:

Is it on any of the streaming services?