Model Cars Magazine Forum

Review a Movie!

Snake45

On 2/14/2021 at 3:57 PM, Snake45 said:

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Netflix): An anthology of several Western stories. There are a few light moments but all things considered not a "happy" movie. Only one of the stories has what I'd call a "happy ending." Kinda interesting, but I don't think I'd watch it again. 

Dunkirk (HBOMax): This is also NOT a happy-fun feel-good movie. Desperation is in every frame. I can't recall a single light moment in the whole thing. A good movie, but not a fun one by any means. 

We saw Dunkirk on an IMAX screen. The theater was packed and completely silent from beginning to end.

• 1 month later...

Pluto TV (free) has most of the James Bond movies this month. Looks like most if not all of them pre-Daniel Craig. I'm planning to watch all the early Connery ones, up through at least Diamonds Are Forever. I haven't seen most of them in decades. 

At the moment, I'm halfway through Thunderball. 

Dr. No is just awful in every way. I'm surprised that anyone decided to continue with the series after that pig. 

From Russia with Love is a quantum advancement/improvement. Not my favorite Bond movie, but not horrible. 

Goldfinger is still pretty good. Lots of DB 5 action, at any rate. Still don't believe a '64 Ranchero  could carry a crushed Lincoln Continental--with a million dollars worth of gold bullion (@ $32/oz!) in the trunk--though. :rolleyes:

For a while I've believed that Thunderball is my alltime favorite (and IMHO the high point of the franchise). So far I'm not seeing anything to change my mind--it's slick, it's classy, the plot is still plausible, and it's just old-school cool. Looking forward to You Only Live Twice, which I retain a favorable impression of but haven't seen in a long time. 

Edited by Snake45

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Pluto TV (free) has most of the James Bond movies this month. Looks like most if not all of them pre-Daniel Craig. I'm planning to watch all the early Connery ones, up through at least Diamonds Are Forever. I haven't seen most of them in decades. 

At the moment, I'm halfway through Thunderball. 

Dr. No is just awful in every way. I'm surprised that anyone decided to continue with the series after that pig. 

From Russia with Love is a quantum advancement/improvement. Not my favorite Bond movie, but not horrible. 

For a while I've believed that Thunderball is my alltime favorite (and IMHO the high point of the franchise). So far I'm not seeing anything to change my mind--it's slick, it's classy, the plot is still plausible, and it's just old-school cool. Looking forward to You Only Live Twice, which I retain a favorable impression of but haven't seen in a long time. 

What pig are you referring too, Roger Moore?  

• 2 weeks later...

Just re-watched Saving Private Ryan (now on Netflix).  Hadn't seen it since it was on HBO after it first came out. I'd forgotten Ted Danson  and Dennis Farina were in it, and Nathan Fillion and Bryan Cranston weren't on my radar then, so it was cool to see them too. Pretty good movie--I remembered it as being the best WWII movie since Kelly's Heroes, or maybe since A Bridge Too Far. (Band of Brothers hadn't been made yet.) 

I skipped the initial D-Day sequence--just too sad and depressing to watch again. There was some stuff in the plot that was just plain silly, but overall, it's a great movie and has held up. 

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

One of my favourite comedies is “ Oh Brother Where Art Thou”. Starring George Clooney, John Turturro and Tim Blake Nelson. I could watch it over and over. Great sound track too.

Agreed...and I have! 

From what I’ve seen so far of Coen Brothers films, ‘O Brother Where Art Thou’ is the masterpiece out of them all. All the expressions and mannerisms of the characters and the statements they make are endlessly hilarious... and the soundtrack superbly fits the movie. I laugh every time when the kid comes out poppin’ off rifle rounds.

Scene after scene is great in their own way. I remember the first time I saw this I was amazed at the acting and how dumb these guys were. Seemed as if they were really that dumb and not even acting. They deserve a lot of credit for that.

And yes, the music is very good and I'm not really a fan of that type but it fits the movie perfectly.

“Oh son!... for that you traded your everlasting soul?”

— “Well I wasn’t using it.”

Edited by Venom

I watched the brand new movie "nobody". It was OK. It reminded me of john wick, but much less story. Honestly, i really only watched it because the guy from breaking bad and better call saul was the star. However the movie was more of a storyless shoot em up. 

Definitely not worth the 20 dollars streaming cost right now, but when it gets to a few dollars, maybe

Edited by youpey

On 4/21/2021 at 2:05 PM, youpey said:

I watched the brand new movie "nobody". It was OK. It reminded me of john wick, but much less story. Honestly, i really only watched it because the guy from breaking bad and better call saul was the star. However the movie was more of a storyless shoot em up. 

Definitely not worth the 20 dollars streaming cost right now, but when it gets to a few dollars, maybe

Thanks. I've seen the ads and it looked interesting. Now I know to save my money till I can see it for free. 

• 1 month later...

After years (decades?) of hearing that Tremors was "a good gun nut movie," I FINALLY got a chance to see it. A little silly in places, but not bad at all--I've seen much worse. Yup, a good gun nut movie--who knew Reba McEntire could sling lead? :blink:B)

Recently re-watched two older Clint Eastwood movies. Heartbreak Ridge was worse than I remembered--it might be the worst Clint Eastwood movie of all time and one of the worst military/war movies of all time, or at least of the last 50 years. In the Line of Fire, OTOH, was better than I remembered. Might even be better than Dirty Harry.  Also re-watched Blood Work and that wasn't too bad, either. 

I saw a real stinker. I enjoyed watching the first two Hellboy movies. Watched the recent 2019 remake and it stunk. First off different director and a new actor to play hellboy.  A cheesy plot with over the top blood and gore. I'm glad i saw it on tv for free but that was too much.