Model Cars Magazine Forum

Review a Movie!

Snake45

A long time favourite of mine is The Driver, with Ryan O'Neal and Bruce Dern. O'Neal is a top getaway driver and Dern goes crazy trying to catch him. Lots of good car sequences, especially the one where he wipes out a big Mercedes saloon in an underground car park. None of the characters have names, which adds another dimension to the story.

Another one is Repo Man. Totally bonkers but funny and weird at the same time. Stars Harry Dean Stanton and Emelio Estevez trying to repossess a Chevy Malibu that might contain aliens. 

steve

On 7/5/2021 at 2:56 PM, Earl Marischal said:

A long time favourite of mine is The Driver, with Ryan O'Neal and Bruce Dern. O'Neal is a top getaway driver and Dern goes crazy trying to catch him. Lots of good car sequences, especially the one where he wipes out a big Mercedes saloon in an underground car park. None of the characters have names, which adds another dimension to the story.

Another one is Repo Man. Totally bonkers but funny and weird at the same time. Stars Harry Dean Stanton and Emelio Estevez trying to repossess a Chevy Malibu that might contain aliens. 

steve

The Driver was a Great movie,some of the best car chases,with the cops.And the red truck and Firebird in the warehouse.Two thumbs up in my book.👍👍

Don’t know it this has been reviewed or not yet but my wife and I just saw The Hitmans Wife’s Bodyguard . We both enjoyed it . Not to give anything away so … Stars Ryan Reynolds , Samuel Jackson , Antonio Banderas, Salma Hayek , Morgan Freeman . It follows along the lines of the first movie “ The Hitmans Bodyguard.  Lots of action ( if you like that ). It is also pretty funny at times . Oh , did I mention Salma Hayek is in it ? 

Saw Rogue One, the Star Wars prequel, on TNT on-demand streaming (free with my cable). Overall, not bad at all. The plot and characters can get a bit hard to follow at times but the CGI effects and some of the action are pretty good. It all comes together in the last 10 or 15 minutes, when it become apparent that these events are leading up directly to the original Star Wars movie. Pretty cool seeing some old, familiar and beloved (or hated) faces/characters. All things considered, I liked it. 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Saw Rogue One, the Star Wars prequel, on TNT on-demand streaming (free with my cable). Overall, not bad at all. The plot and characters can get a bit hard to follow at times but the CGI effects and some of the action are pretty good. It all comes together in the last 10 or 15 minutes, when it become apparent that these events are leading up directly to the original Star Wars movie. Pretty cool seeing some old, familiar and beloved (or hated) faces/characters. All things considered, I liked it. 

i used to be a star wars geek, pretty bad one. this is by far my favorite star wars movies of all time.  

i watched the hunt on hbo max this weekend. was very good. i had no idea what the movie was about other than the description and i enjoyed it all the way through

I watched the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still yesterday. I saw the original in 1951 when I was 9 so I do have something for comparison. The remake has a lot of plot holes and unexplained loose ends but only if you've seen the original. Naturally in '51 there was no CGI for special effects so the producers relied heavily on that technology this time around. I personally prefer the original release version. Watch both and decide for yourself.

The original is one of my favorite movies. I was happy a few years back when I heard they were doing the remake. When it was released I went to see it. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. I laughed when I saw what they did with Gort. Bad movie IMO.

Saw The Last Jedi. Some great CGI SFX, but I've already pretty much forgotten the plot. What I'll take from this movie is how much Adam Driver reminded me of Gold Rush's Parker Schnabel, and how much Carrie Fisher reminded me of someone I really, really can't stand. :angry:

Last night saw Solo, the Han Solo origin story movie. Pretty good, and answered a lot of questions. I kept expecting Greedo to show up at some point, but he never did. The high point of the movie is probably the great train robbery sequence, which actually felt lifted from several other movies but was still pretty cool. 

I watched no sudden moves. I thought it was confusing for the sake of being confusing. also they used an old timey camera lense so the sides of the entire movie are distorted. 

With That said, i thought it was ok. At least its not another remake of a bad 80s movie, somehow made worse

12 minutes ago, MrMiles said:

I watched no sudden moves. I thought it was confusing for the sake of being confusing. also they used an old timey camera lense so the sides of the entire movie are distorted. 

With That said, i thought it was ok. At least its not another remake of a bad 80s movie, somehow made worse

That's not far off my own review of the movie. B)

55 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Hmmmm, I liked it. I think it seemed confusing to viewers because the characters didn't know what was going on till almost the end. Different strokes, I guess.

9 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I just read an article online about the movie. It said the creator of the movie thought it was more poetic the more confusing it was. 

Poetic isn't the word i would use

9 hours ago, Miatatom said:

Hmmmm, I liked it. I think it seemed confusing to viewers because the characters didn't know what was going on till almost the end. Different strokes, I guess.

Nobody knew what was going on until the epilog. 

I guess Quentin Tarantino proved that a movie doesn't have to make any sense at all to be considered "good." To this day no one knows what was in that stupid Pulp Fiction briefcase. :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Nobody knew what was going on until the epilog. 

I guess Quentin Tarantino proved that a movie doesn't have to make any sense at all to be considered "good." To this day no one knows what was in that stupid Pulp Fiction briefcase. :rolleyes:

Or the one in Repo Man, or in Ronin… it has the Macguffin in…

best,

M.

2 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

Or the one in Repo Man, or in Ronin… it has the Macguffin in…

best,

M.

You're right about Ronin, but at least that one had a plot you could follow, and some cool car chases and gunfights. B)

Been so long since I saw Repo Man that I don't remember anything about it, so can't comment on that one. :unsure:

Just watched “Jolt” with Kate Beckinsale on Amazon. Wow, it may be one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen! I have seen sci-fi movies with aliens that are more believable. There is one point where she is tossing newborn babies at the cop in order to get away.🤮🤮🤮

The wife wanted to get out of the house today and mentioned going to see a movie. I said pick one and lets go. Well she picked a movie called "OLD". Not the worst movie I ever saw and we both thought it was ok. Not to give much away but i would call it a Sci Fi/Horror movie. You may like it if these type of movies are what you like. It's about folks on vacation to a resort. Some people are offered a ride to a secluded beach that only some people are invited to.  After they get there they notice people a beginning to age. It is first noticed in the kids. After a while they figure that they are aging at the rate of one year for every 30 minutes. They do not have any luck in their efforts to get off the beach and back to where they were dropped off. Let's leave it there.