Model Cars Magazine Forum

Review a Movie!

Snake45

Just watched Matrix IV on HBO/MAX. I was never a particular huge Matrix fan (though I re-watched the original trilogy on streaming last year), but I imagine those who are won't be disappointed. Plenty of good stunts, SFX and CGI. Lots of meta-references for the fanboys. 

Same Neo and Trinity. New Mr. Smith and Morpheus--the new Morpheus was obviously cast for his resemblance to Lawrence Fishburne, and I thought he did a pretty good job with the role. Oh, Doogie Houser's in it, too! :blink:

The two best lines of the movie (IMHO, of course): 

"They promised us peace, and gave us a purge." 

--and--

"I get it--the exomorph slinkies up Neo's old umbilicus." :lol: This struck me as hilarious for some reason. I'm gonna see if I can work it into everyday conversations, maybe make it a new catchphrase. :lol::lol:

5 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Anyone remember the Battle of Britain movie I think made in 1969. Loads of well known British actors.

Laurence Olivier, Michael Caine and Robert Shaw to name a few.  Used a lot of Spanish Air Force versions of the Me109 and Dornier 111 aircraft loaned for the film.

Yes, excellent film. I doubt anything as good, much less better, could be made today. (And the 111s were Heinkels, not Dorniers. B) )

Last night the wife and I watched the new movie Don't Look Up .  Not to give much away but it starts out like a lot of of disaster movies involving a comet heading on a path to collide with the earth. It's a movie that did keep our interest but not great movie but very watchable IMO . It's playing on Netflix.

You are right Richard, they were Heinkels!     My mistake!

Incidentally the film company actually blew up a WW2 hanger at Duxford UK whilst making the Battle of Britain movie. That was back in 1969. Today the hanger would be a listed building like all the other surviving hangers on the site, that is now one of the UK's premier aircraft and military vehicle museums. I count myself lucky as  where I live is about 45 mins drive from Duxford and the Shuttleworth Collection is only 5 miles from my home. London is a quick 1/2 hr train journey from a town 7 miles from me. The huge Airship hangers at Cardington just outside Bedford are 15 mins drive from me. The ill fated R101 flew from there. Today one of the airship hangers is owned by a company named Cardington Studios. Big blockbuster movies like some of the Star Wars movies are partly made there where huge sets can be made up.

My wife and I caught Disney's Jungle Cruise last night. Another Disney World attraction brought to life if you will. Its a lot of "turn off your brain and just enjoy it" action, that probably would have worked better as a completely animated film.

It is entertaining, but don't expect any Oscars forthcoming. A fun story and good characters.

For our anniversary today the wife and I went out to lunch and see a movie. We saw The Kingsman. Pretty good and interesting. If you saw the first two Kingsman movies you know what this is about . This one predates the other two and lays the background as to how it all started. Lots of action and the wife and I enjoyed it.

On 12/27/2021 at 2:20 PM, cobraman said:

Last night the wife and I watched the new movie Don't Look Up .  Not to give much away but it starts out like a lot of of disaster movies involving a comet heading on a path to collide with the earth. It's a movie that did keep our interest but not great movie but very watchable IMO . It's playing on Netflix.

On 12/27/2021 at 3:33 PM, Miatatom said:

I've heard Don't Look Up is this generations Dr. Strangelove, which is one of my favorite movies. I need to watch Don't Look Up.

Watched Don't Look Up last night on your recommendation. The Dr. Strangelove comparison is VERY appropriate.  DLU is hilarious and manages to send up just about every aspect of modern life. Idiotic people acting like idiots, but no more so than you'll see turning on any current day news or "infotainment" show. As Cobraman says, very watchable. Snakeworthy! B)

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

The Italian Job (original 1969 release with Michael Caine) is free on YT. Excellent widescreen print.

One of the best Euro-car films ever...Miura, DB5 drophead, Jags, Minis, Alfas, Fiats, etc.

I like that version better than the Mark Wahlberg/Edward Norton remake.

On 12/28/2021 at 1:35 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

You are right Richard, they were Heinkels!     My mistake!

Incidentally the film company actually blew up a WW2 hanger at Duxford UK whilst making the Battle of Britain movie. That was back in 1969. Today the hanger would be a listed building like all the other surviving hangers on the site, that is now one of the UK's premier aircraft and military vehicle museums. I count myself lucky as  where I live is about 45 mins drive from Duxford and the Shuttleworth Collection is only 5 miles from my home. London is a quick 1/2 hr train journey from a town 7 miles from me. The huge Airship hangers at Cardington just outside Bedford are 15 mins drive from me. The ill fated R101 flew from there. Today one of the airship hangers is owned by a company named Cardington Studios. Big blockbuster movies like some of the Star Wars movies are partly made there where huge sets can be made up.

The 35th largest airforce in the world lol

From wiki on the film:

The film required a large number of period aircraft. In September 1965 producers Harry Saltzman and S. Benjamin Fisz contacted former RAF Bomber Command Group Captain T.G. 'Hamish' Mahaddie to find the aircraft and arrange their use.[6] Eventually 100 aircraft were employed, called the "35th largest air force in the world".[8] With Mahaddie's help, the producers located 109 Spitfires in the UK, of which 27 were available although only 12 could be made flyable. Mahaddie negotiated use of six Hawker Hurricanes, of which three were flying.

I watched 'Don't Look Up' and found it entertaining but political like 'The Hunt' - still super fun to watch.

John, I have never watched The Hunt.        Land, sea of air movie?

Unless Don't Look Up is the Battle of Britain film renamed I have not seen that one either. You mentioned the Hunt and Don't Look Up as being political?

I think that all war movies are political only as much that they serve to show generally what happens when politics fails.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

10 hours ago, Keavdog said:

I watched 'Don't Look Up' and found it entertaining but political like 'The Hunt' - still super fun to watch.

Agree completely. Both very political but entertaining. I'm bright enough to enjoy the entertainment and humor and reject silly politics. 

Re-watched Glengarry Glen Ross. If you want to see some ACT-ing!, this is the movie for you. Mostly they're acting like this movie is about something, which it isn't. Jack Lemmon in particular chews up the scenery, all the props, and several of the other actors. The whole time I was watching this, the Meat Loaf lyric "Desperation, desperation's in the air, it leaves a stain on all your clothes and no detergent gets it out" kept playing in my head. 

Re-watched Braveheart. Pretty good. 

7 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

John, I have never watched The Hunt.        Land, sea of air movie?

Unless Don't Look Up is the Battle of Britain film renamed I have not seen that one either. You mentioned the Hunt and Don't Look Up as being political?

I think that all war movies are political only as much that they serve to show generally what happens when politics fails.

Not war movies - off the wall but entertaining stories.  Here's a couple quick references:

The Hunt: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8244784/

Don't Look Up: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11286314/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

On 12/30/2021 at 10:56 AM, Snake45 said:

Idiotic people acting like idiots, but no more so than you'll see turning on any current day news or "infotainment" show.

Don't Look Up. The lovely Ms. L. and I watched it last week. Definitely a dark, satirical, socio-political commentary about very contemporary times, brought to us by former SNL writer and regular Will Ferrell collaborator Adam McKay (Anchorman [1&2], Talladega Nights, Step Brothers, Ant-Man).

While it dramatizes all the absurdities playing out in current politics and culture, it does so without pointing fingers at any identifiable people or political parties (with the possible exception of Elon Musk). Not an easy task for almost all current comedy, satire and op-ed writers whose meal ticket is the easy "low hanging fruit."

Today my wife wanted to see a movie. I said ok . She said she wanted to see . See For Me . I said. Ahh, ok . It actually was not bad . It’s about a young woman skier who looses her sight . She gets a job cat sitting in a huge house in upper New  York . 3 men brake in to rob a safe behind a wall . So it’s about her hiding and outsmarting the burglars . If you saw either of the Dont Breath movies you get the idea . 

Over Christmas, I revisited the greatest Christmas movie I've ever seen, having first watched it back in the late 90s. It's a 1989 horror movie called Elves, and it stars Grizzly Adams (Dan Haggerty) as a drunk ex-detective/current mall Santa investigating the death of the previous mall Santa, who was stabbed to death by the main baddie of the movie. 

I won't get into much of the details, but if you like crappy low budget horror movies this is great. The plot involves an elf, Nazi genetic experimentation, a coven of teenage anti-Chrismas witches, a scientist with an accent and wardrobe straight out of a Saturday morning kids show, some really questionable screenwriting, and a terrible elf puppet. And Dan Haggerty's acting. Remember when I said Dan Haggerty plays a drunk ex-detective? I don't think that the character was written as a drunk... I think that Dan Haggerty was actually drunk on screen. His dead, apathetic line delivery has to be seen to be believed. He gives a performance that screams "well, gotta pay my mortgage somehow".  

Again, if you love schlock, it is well worth your time. 

John, I had a look at the Don't Look Up and The Hunt trailers on the links. Both look interesting.

Bill, I liked the original Italian Job movie. One of the amusing scenes was the traffic jam in Turin with all the frustrated drivers horn blowing. Particularly the guy sat on the fold back roof of his Fiat 500 reading a paper with his foot on the horn!  The Minis driving through the sewer system was filmed here in England when Coventry City was having a complete sewage tunnel system being built.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

Re-watched The Minority Report yesterday, after so many years. It was much better than I remembered, and actually pretty timely. 

Last week I re-watched Memento, a VERY strange and original movie. Very interesting and engaging. It's a mystery told backwards and from the point of view of a man who has no short term memory. Spoiler alert: It does not have a happy ending.