Model Cars Magazine Forum

Review a Movie!

Snake45

At first I thought it was strange to think that there is a lack of curiosity in regards to The Munsters Movie if nothing else, for the popularity of the original T.V. series. It's definitely a statement of 60's iconic pop culture. I watched the Rob Zombie Munsters  creation on Netflix and there is truly a good explanation to why the lack of interest in his new movie.

When I learned Rob Zombie was in charge of directing his version I was excited but nervous. I followed along with his Instagram news and updates and was more than enthusiastic with the development. I couldn't wait to see the finished project. I became less optimistic when I seen the trailer, but still held out hope that it was a parody and the real movie was gonna prove me wrong. 

Well needless to say I wasn't wrong and the movie did not live up to the hype nor did it meet any expectations of the original show. The writing was bad, the plot line was bad, the casting was hit and miss but mostly bad with the exception of Grandpa Munster who wasn't even a grandpa in this adaptation. I guess Zombie was in hopes that he'd get to tell that story in the sequel but I'm not sure he'll get the chance.

Daniel Robuck embodied the acting style of Al Lewis and at times, if not for the mustache I couldn't tell them apart. But as a whole, the film was missing alot of signature elements that would have made movie magic. The absence of Eddie, Marilyn, the Munsters coach, and any 60's references other than "I've got you babe". Cassandra Peterson's role in the movie was just sad. She was born to play Elvira mistress of the dark and she could've easily been a romantic rival of Liily's and then, plot twist... turns out to be her sister. I could've written a better script I swear.

So instead of saying watch the movie to see what I mean I would just say watch the original series on Peacock because that is the masterpiece and when they made that show they "Broke The Mold". Not at all what we hoped the movie would be. However, I do believe that somehow this film will gain future cult status in it's own way if nothing else for being so bad it's good.

68aac.jpg

16 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

I watched a movie on TV catchup a few weeks ago named 'The World's Fastest Indian'. 

t was quite a heart warming film about an eccentric old guy played by well known actor Anthony Hopkins living in his old  workshop shed in New Zealand and building up an old Indian Motorcycle to attempt the world speed record at Bonneville Salt Flats. It was a nice movie that built on the character being motivated and having to fund himself to travel half way around the world. He worked his passage on a freight ship, and coped with not being street wise in LA whilst on his journey.

Anthony Hopkins also played the part of the late Donald Campbell in a TV production about attempting the World Water Speed Record at Coniston Water in the early 60's.

I remember seeing that a few years ago on maybe Sundance or IFC channel. That was really good, and it was based on a true story. Sir Anthony Hopkins is one of those actors that I just go with, it's rare that he does a dud. Wouldn't mind seeing that one again.

7 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Lou was a good one, didn't expect that. Allison Janney was right on and I didn't see the ending coming. 

On y'alls say-so, I started watching this. Am about a half hour in. Pretty darn good so far, I must say! 

• Like 1

Mike, yes it was a true story. Anthony Hopkins was playing the part of Bert Munro from Invercargill in New Zealand. He actually made it to Bonneville to compete, and made further trips during later years.

What I liked about the film was his never give up attitude that was an ingrained part of his character besides being a genuine sort of guy. The parts where he came across a motel in Los Angeles with a transvestite receptionist that he got on well with after their amusing first meeting, and the second hand car salesman were a treat to watch. Everyone seemed to warm to him on his road trip to Bonneville.

It anyone watches the film, the car he drives in New Zealand looks like an old 1950's Vauxhall Velox.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

Great movie. I read somewhere that Stephen King was disappointed it the way that Kubrick directed it. I heard he preferred the TV miniseries starring Steven Weber and Rebecca De Mornay. Having seen both, I really think it's a toss-up but leaning towards the original. 

To me, The Exorcist has got to be the scariest movie of all time. Even the Shinning can't come close. I have trouble getting through it even today. When I saw it as a kid it was on network TV, and I still slept with the lights on for like 2 weeks. 50 years later and it still rattles me to my core. I suppose being born and raised Catholic plays a part in that. With that being said, I'm hearing there is a 4th remake of the movie coming next year just in time for the 50th anniversary of the original. Also looking forward to the Nun 2 and the Conjuring 4. Nex year should be a good year for horror movie fans. 👻

For any grown-ups who appreciate animation, I'd heartily recommend Studio Ghibli's "Porco Rosso".

I first came across it on late-night cable at a hotel back around 2005, and was blown away.

With a beautiful score by Joe Hisaishi, it's one of my all-time favorite films.

From Wikipee:

"Porco Rosso (Japanese: 紅の豚, Hepburn: Kurenai no Buta, lit. 'Crimson Pig') is a 1992 Japanese animated adventure-fantasy film[1] written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki. It is based on Hikōtei Jidai ("The Age of the Flying Boat"), a three-part 1989 watercolor manga by Miyazaki.[2] It stars the voices of Shūichirō Moriyama, Tokiko Kato, Akemi Okamura and Akio Ōtsuka. Animated by Studio Ghibli for Tokuma Shoten, Japan Airlines and the Nippon Television Network, it was produced by Toshio Suzuki and distributed by Toho. Its score is by Japanese composer Joe Hisaishi.

The plot revolves around an Italian World War I ex-fighter ace, now living as a freelance bounty hunter chasing "air pirates" in the Adriatic Sea. However, an unusual curse has transformed him into an anthropomorphic pig. Once called Marco Pagot (Marco Rossolini in the American version), he is now known to the world as "Porco Rosso", Italian for "Red Pig" or "Red Pork".

A first English-dubbed version was made for Japan Airlines and included in the Ghibli LD Box Set and on the first Region 2 DVD releases in 2002. The film was later redubbed by Walt Disney Home Entertainment and released on DVD and Blu-ray in the United States and Canada on February 22, 2005. GKIDS re-issued the film on Blu-ray and DVD on November 21, 2017, under a new deal with Studio Ghibli."

Murasaki no Sekai: Porco Rosso ( long métrage animation)

• Like 1

Not movies but documentaries on Netflix - both worth watching.

Since I live in Utica and Rome, NY is about 10 miles west of me and do remember Woodstock was a disaster back in ‘99. 

Watch Trainwreck: Woodstock ‘99

For all you baseball and Nolan Ryan fans, watch Chasing Nolan. Well put together. Who remembers the Robin Ventura incident back then. LOL!

On 10/7/2022 at 11:09 AM, Mike C. said:

Great movie. I read somewhere that Stephen King was disappointed it the way that Kubrick directed it. I heard he preferred the TV miniseries starring Steven Weber and Rebecca De Mornay. Having seen both, I really think it's a toss-up but leaning towards the original. 

To me, The Exorcist has got to be the scariest movie of all time. Even the Shinning can't come close. I have trouble getting through it even today. When I saw it as a kid it was on network TV, and I still slept with the lights on for like 2 weeks. 50 years later and it still rattles me to my core. I suppose being born and raised Catholic plays a part in that. With that being said, I'm hearing there is a 4th remake of the movie coming next year just in time for the 50th anniversary of the original. Also looking forward to the Nun 2 and the Conjuring 4. Nex year should be a good year for horror movie fans. 👻

The Shinning is definitely a GREAT movie..A classic chilling movie,and IMO,the best acting by Jack Nicholson.It’s a great movie to watch if u get snowed in.I would have to say though that for me IMO,The Blair Witch Project was the scariest movie I’ve seen.Just something about it..But as far as the Shinning,I saw this photo on line of a grown up Danny,and a Jack Nicholson look alike.It’s amazing how much this guy looked like Jack Nicholson,but it’s really a look a like.And that is really Danny,whose name is actually Danny Lloyd.I never knew that.

475FDD70-6D91-4716-BE25-3AF5DC3B5D75.jpeg

BABFB509-4866-429E-A667-C7D7FB087BE3.jpeg

E3E6C732-FB71-4323-98BA-3FD28A360E66.jpeg

16 hours ago, slusher said:

Jack Nicholson did a fantastic job acting in this but I have never been able to get into it or really like this on..

Oh yea,for me like i said,i thought it was Nicholson’s best role.You just watch him deteriorate info utter madness.😱..”Danny,Danny boy,where are ya,Im coming to get ya.”

I watched 44 Minutes the other night.It’s a true story about the the North Hollywood shootout where a confrontation between two heavily armed and armored bank robbers, Larry Phillips Jr. and Emil Mătăsăreanu, and members of the Los Angeles Police Department in North Hollywood California.The robbery occurred on February 28, 1997.It starred Michael Madsen.

C0DE4656-033D-4E68-9284-6DA0D00F3567.jpeg

On 10/7/2022 at 9:50 AM, afx said:

Finally(!) watched The Shining - good movie.

The Shining (1980) - IMDb

I just watched it for the first time in decades. There aren't many movies that can hang with this one for overall creepiness of mood. But the pacing was a bit slow for my taste--how I wish it had been on Netflix, where I could have watched it at 1.5X speed. 

Also, a pretty unsatisfying ending--a big letdown in the last 10 minutes or so. 

It's hard to imagine anyone other than Jack Nicholson playing the lead role in this move. But could Shelley Duvall have hammed it up more? Wpw.