Model Cars Magazine Forum

Review a Movie!

Snake45

On 11/5/2021 at 6:28 AM, NOBLNG said:

I just watched “Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry” again. Nice cars in this movie, but boy, what BAD acting! And the ending… it’s like the budget ran out?

Still remember seeing this at the drive-in and we were looking at each other when it ended saying "what just happened"? I agree with your comments and it's probably the best ending that could come from such a bad movie.

Great thread.  A couple worth mentioning:

Hell or High  Water - great story, lots of action.  Kind of a modern western set in TX.  Jeff Bridges should have got an oscar.

No Country For Old Men - kinda the same genre.  Javier Bardem's character is one crazy dude and mean.

3 hours ago, Keavdog said:

Great thread.  A couple worth mentioning:

Hell or High  Water - great story, lots of action.  Kind of a modern western set in TX.  Jeff Bridges should have got an oscar.

No Country For Old Men - kinda the same genre.  Javier Bardem's character is one crazy dude and mean.

I'm a big fan of Hell or High Water. It was written by Taylor Sheridan. He has also written both Sicario movies, Wind River (which he also directed, and I highly recommend), and is the creator/ writer/ director of the Yellowstone series on Paramount network. I will watch anything that has his name attached, much like with the Coen brothers, who are responsible for the other movie recommended above.

Wife and I watched a movie on Appletv tonight . Movie called “ Finch “.  It stars Tom Hanks and really no one else .  It is set in a post sun flares world . Tom has a small robot and a dog . He builds another one that is larger and can learn . When Tom learns about a super storm on its way he packs himself and his two robots and dog in a beefed up motor home and heads for California .  Movie is better than it sounds but I don’t want to give too much away . My wife enjoyed it more than I did but I did like it . Worth watching if you can . IMO 

On 11/6/2021 at 8:39 PM, cobraman said:

Wife and I watched a movie on Appletv tonight . Movie called “ Finch “. ...

Watched this one tonight (Free 7 day trial - also recommend Greyhound if you are a WWII buff).  This was a pretty good movie, really enjoyed it.  Thanks for the recommendation combraman. 

On 11/4/2021 at 6:41 PM, Scott8950 said:

I watched this a few days ago, first time I'd watched it in years. Lots of rare cars destroyed in this movie.

747c59db-4a7a-48d8-a90e-785af5722967_1.8ada215e93e1d95ad4027306f785cba5.jpg.1a1e4f24c7f780febc7de884c9a566b2.jpg

I knew little or nothing about this 1976 movie, but as a movie aficionado, I could already see this is a must see. Like any film touched by Roger Corman's shadow, some great budding talent is here in all their quirky first steps. Co-written by young Don Simpson, later producer of Top Gun, Days of Thunder, Beverly Hills Cop. 

I watched 15-minutes on YouTube before quitting so I could stream a good copy on my TV.  This straight to drive-in flick is the lesser known cousin of the big name Hollywood cross country car chase movies featuring, pretty much nobody beyond David Carradine.

But consider this cast of unknowns... an uncredited Sylvester Stallone cameo (pre-Rocky), Martin Scorsese (legendary director and film historian), Joe Dante (later director of The Howling, Gremlins and one segment of Twilight Zone: The Movie), Roger Corman, James Keach, Bill McKinney (Deliverance, Outlaw Josie Wales, First Blood, The Green Mile), Robert Carradine, Veronica Hamill (Hill Street Blues) and slews of other unknown faces with histories of TV guest spots.

My favorite unknown is Garrit Graham (Phantom of the Paradise, Used Cars, lots of TV), whose delightfully creative, carefully executed comedy makes me laugh at anything he's in, when he chooses to do comedy.

Otherwise, hey, cheesy dialogue, bad acting, paper thin plot, mid-70's TV production values and lots of Detroit eye candy and good old fashioned, real car crashes the way we used to see them. Pure popcorn.

Edited by Lunajammer

On 11/9/2021 at 10:16 PM, Lunajammer said:

Otherwise, hey, cheesy dialogue, bad acting, paper thin plot, mid-70's TV production values and lots of Detroit eye candy and good old fashioned, real car crashes the way we used to see them. Pure popcorn

One of my favorite parts of movies from this era is the plot gaps and puzzling storylines. This movie is a Classic must watch filled with WTH? moments... 

I loved the ending, left me feeling how I felt after I graduated high-school... I thought, well, the party's over! 😆 

One detail most didn't know, Robert (AKA "Jim" the driver of that awesome slilver Vette! Also, If memory serves, the winner of the Cannonball!? (Revenge of the Nerds) He's David Carradine's brother...

Just think, that Vette was brand new at the time! 😆 

Wife and I watched a new movie on Netflix tonight . Called Red Notice . Stars  Dwayne Johnson , Ryan Reynolds and Gal Gadot . We enjoyed it . Adventure comedy I would say . It very much reminded me of one of the Indian Jones movies . Far fetched happenings for sure but all in all we thought the action mixed with the humor made it worthwhile . Taste varies but I would recommend it if you have access to it . 

So we had some guests over last night and were trying to decide on a movie to watch. 4 females and myself. So my vote did not carry much weight. They wanted to watch King Richard. I never heard of it but oh well. As it turned out it was about Serena, Venus Williams and father. I must admit it was better than I expected it would be. The women folk loved it .

• Like 1

Saw the new Dune move last week. Wow. Given the difficulty of adapting the book to a movie, it got a lot of stuff right. It didn't butcher the plot. The visuals were finely crafted, and the acting was first rate, tho I feel like the presentation of Duke Leto Atredes was a little problematic. I give it two thumbs up. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone see the movie “Skin”?It was a really powerful movie.It reminded me of American History X.It’s a true story about a white supremacist covered in hate tattoos on his face and body who decides to leave the movement.He then goes through agonizing pain to have all his tats burned off by doctors.Good movie,check it out.

• Like 1

One of the best movies ever was Day of the Jackal based on Frederick Forsyths novel about an attempt to assassinate President de Gaulle.     Brilliant and kept to the book. It was made back in the 1960's and starred Edward Fox playing the part of the assassin.

Do not confuse it with the much more recent Jackal movie with Bruce Willis. The plot of this one was totally different and not a rehash of the original movie.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

• 2 weeks later...

Saw two classics in the last two days: 

Full Metal Jacket, probably the fifth or sixth time I've seen it. The late, great R. Lee Ermey is still a hoot, and the action is pretty good. I could swear that at least some of the Hue combat scenes were shot with live ammo. It's on HBO/MAX this month. 

Master and Commander, Far Side of the World (Showtime Anytime): Been wanting to see this one again for a while now, it finally showed up on Showtime streaming. Had only seen it once before when it was new almost 20 years ago. It's almost as good as Gladiator. The first 20 minutes and the last 20 or 30 are just outstanding; all that stuff in the middle, meh. Overall, great movie, though. 

And not a movie but I binge-watched all 3 seasons of Succession on HBO. It's the new Game of Thrones--no dragons or swords, but just as much conflict, ego, greed, scheming, manipulations, alliances, deceptions, deceit, debauchery, and depravity. Every character is more vile, contemptible and reprehensible than the next--there are no heroes here. Amazingly interesting considering that after 29 episodes, not that much has actually happened. :blink: But something "big" is always bubbling just beneath the surface. It's billed as a "black comedy." 

Saw Death Proof on Showtime Anytime. It is a completely stupid, useless, wretched movie in every way. Even the music is bad. A complete waste of film, two hours, and three fairly nice cars for no reason whatsoever. I now have a lower opinion of Kurt Russel for being in it. I think Tarantino must have said, "Let's see just how bad a movie I can make and STILL have people call me a genius." 

If anything, it was even worse than Overlord, and I didn't think that was possible. :blink:

2 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

He's been doing that since the kill bill films,

Death Proof made Kill Bill and even Inglorious Basterds look like Lawrence of Arabia

IMHO, his best movie is still Jackie Brown, a movie with a beginning, a middle, and an end, and even something of an actual plot. 

• Like 1

Just watched a movie on Amazon Prime called Endangered Species. I though it was pretty good but Rotten Tomatoes would disagree. It did get a 66 from people who saw it. It's about a family that goes out in the African wilderness of Kenya. They take a trail that is marked X and run into trouble . One such trouble is being attacked by a huge Rhino. It's a 2021 movie.I have seen worse. It did hold my interest.

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Death Proof made Kill Bill and even Inglorious Basterds look like Lawrence of Arabia

IMHO, his best movie is still Jackie Brown, a movie with a beginning, a middle, and an end, and even something of an actual plot. 

I Recently watched Kill Bill 1,2 and Jackie Brown.All great movies.And of course there’s Pulp Fiction ,and IMO Quentin Tarantino is one of the best film makers of all time.And of course I think his best movie has to be Reservoir Dogs.Great violent crime flick.

D1A91FD9-1B43-426C-B31E-AD9B998EC67C.jpeg

Master and Commander was a good movie and very enjoyable.

Whoever designed the theatre poster for it did not have a clue though. Two ships firing at each other, all cannon ports open in a raging sea? Both would have flooded instantly and gone down to Davy Jones' s Locker!

Another movie I particularly liked was Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven, starring Orlando Bloom and Eva Green, but it did not do so well at the box office as some of Scott's other movied.

On 12/20/2021 at 1:45 PM, Snake45 said:

Snake 🐍 you gave me a laugh but your absolutely right..