Model Cars Magazine Forum

Review a Movie!

Snake45

Recently I've seen not one, not two, but THREE movies set during WWII.  All are worth watching:

"A Call to Spy" - story of female agents working for the British Special Operations Executive (SOE) during the war.

"The Exception" - one of Christopher Plummer's last roles, as a cantankerous Kaiser Wilhelm II in Dutch exile.  Set in the spring of 1940, when Germany overran the Low Countries. Also with Lily James and Jai Courtney.

"The Last Vermeer" -  the story of Dutch art forger Han van Meegeren, who burned Hermann Goering for several million dollars in fake masterpieces.  With Guy Pearce and Claes Bang.

Edited by Mike999
goof

On 7/25/2021 at 5:25 PM, BlackSheep214 said:

For those who a huge fan of KISS, watch KISSTORY on A&E channel. It is a 2-part biography (2 hours each) documentary. Very well put together and enjoyable to watch.

I am going to check on demand to see if it’s available. I have always been a Kiss fan and have several cd’s like my records as a teenager…

I'm not a fan of KISS but really enjoyed Detroit Rock City. 4 guys who are KISS fanatics and their adventures trying to get to the concert in Detroit. I recall some KISS concert footage at the end of the movie.

Wife wanted to get out and go see another movie. She wanted to see Stillwater. So..... Anyway , I did not know it at the time but is based a lot on the real story of Amanda Knox. A fathers daughter is in a prison in France for a crime she either did or didn't do. ( I won't say ) The story is just only about a father trying his best to get his daughter released from prison . He doesn't get a lot of legal help but finds a local woman who decides to help him. I will stop there as to not give much away if someone plans to see it. My wife liked it more than I did. For me it was pretty boring. Too long at 2 hours and 20 min. I think it was. I can't recommend it but we all like different things.

12 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

If you have Netflix, check out Gunpowder Milkshake. Very entertaining. LOLed at the Boneheads' laughing gas scene. 

Based on your review I just finished watching it. It was entertaining as you said. Wife and I enjoyed it.

Three Russian sci-fi movies I've seen lately.  Just turn off your brain and enjoy the effects...

"The Blackout" (2017):  The whole world suddenly goes dark and radio-silent, except for a small corner of Eastern Europe. Soldiers defending an outpost hear this announcement:  "The enemy forces in the woods are not human.  They are much larger than humans, and approaching your position at 20 kilometers per hour."  

"Attraction" (2017):  a gigantic UFO appears over Moscow and Russian aircraft shoot it down.  (Su-27 Flankers are shown flying off the aircraft carrier "Admiral Kuznetsov.").  Since it's gigantic, it takes out a big chunk of the city when it crashes.  And the alien troubles are only starting...

"Attraction 2: Invasion" (2019):  two years after "Attraction," China, Russia and the U.S. have teamed up to make sure those pesky aliens don't bother us anymore.  You can guess how that works out.  For one thing, the aliens hack the entire world internet.

The two "Attraction" movies were directed by Fedor Bondarchuk.  He specializes in big-budget projects and made two great war movies.  "The 9th Company" (2005) is about Russian draftees in Afghanistan.  "Stalingrad" (2013) had a Russian platoon defending an apartment house that the Germans desperately needed to take.    

18 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Three Russian sci-fi movies I've seen lately.  Just turn off your brain and enjoy the effects...

"The Blackout" (2017):  The whole world suddenly goes dark and radio-silent, except for a small corner of Eastern Europe. Soldiers defending an outpost hear this announcement:  "The enemy forces in the woods are not human.  They are much larger than humans, and approaching your position at 20 kilometers per hour."  

"Attraction" (2017):  a gigantic UFO appears over Moscow and Russian aircraft shoot it down.  (Su-27 Flankers are shown flying off the aircraft carrier "Admiral Kuznetsov.").  Since it's gigantic, it takes out a big chunk of the city when it crashes.  And the alien troubles are only starting...

"Attraction 2: Invasion" (2019):  two years after "Attraction," China, Russia and the U.S. have teamed up to make sure those pesky aliens don't bother us anymore.  You can guess how that works out.  For one thing, the aliens hack the entire world internet.

The two "Attraction" movies were directed by Fedor Bondarchuk.  He specializes in big-budget projects and made two great war movies.  "The 9th Company" (2005) is about Russian draftees in Afghanistan.  "Stalingrad" (2013) had a Russian platoon defending an apartment house that the Germans desperately needed to take.    

You've sold me! How do I go about seeing these movies? 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

You've sold me! How do I go about seeing these movies? 

Hope I can help you do that!  "The Blackout" is on Amazon Prime.  "Attraction" can be watched in a bunch of places, like Tubi.  Looks like YouTube charges $2.99.  If it matters, "Blackout" had subtitles.  But the 2 others were dubbed in English. 

I'm a retrograde old geezer, so I don't have any streaming services.  I still...find...stuff on Usenet and download it.  I heard about these flicks on the Facebook group "Incredibly Strange Films."  It has over 300,000 members and they post about a LOT of weird movies! 

Watched "Knives Out" on TV last night. It's a decent twisty murder mystery and it was 'interesting' to see Daniel Craig as private detective with a somewhat OTT 'Southern' accent. It's meant to be a comedy but the laughs are a bit sparse to be honest. The descriptions referenced Agatha Christie in its style but that was a bit thin, although there was the traditional 'get all the family together for a big reveal' moment.

If you like a murder mystery then a couple of hours in front of the box with this should satisfy. And for petrolheads, it features a very nice BMW 3 Litre coupe too.

steve

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 12:19 PM, Snake45 said:

Was gonna ask if you meant the new one or the original, but I guess the mention of the microwave answered that. 

I saw the original when I was in high school. Gave me nightmares. :blink:

Yea it was the new one.How old was the original?

B2205F3F-DCE2-4035-82E4-1CB9AE716139.jpeg

I watched the new suicide squad movie on hbo. It was light years ahead of the last one, but inly because the last one was such garbage 

It reminded me of the guardian of the galaxy movie in its humor. 

I thought it was ok at best. If you like t hff e style and comedy of the gardiens movie you will probably like it. I mostly watched it because I was bored out of my head 

Saw Jack Reacher Never Go Back last night. Very disappointing. Basically Tom Cruise in one of those stupid Bourne movies (in other words, a live action Road Runner cartoon). Weak plot, and a hundred "Yeah, right, THAT could happen" :rolleyes: moments. Even lamer than the John Wick movies. Not recommended. 

i watched the movie SAFE with jason stathom. it was super dumb, all action and its story was super thin really didnt make a ton of sense at all. If i had to guess the story was written by an 8 year old and further fleshed out by a 10 year old. 

35 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Another decent movie on Netflix....The Vault. It’s about thieves breaking in the most secured bank in Spain during The World Cup. Cleverly put together and entertaining. I’m hoping they’ll do a sequel to the first one. 

Watched that Saturday night.  Was good.