Model Cars Magazine Forum

Driving your model cars around on the streets

Yeah I know, this is a strange one... or maybe not so much.

So, from time to time I’ll be dreaming that I’m out cruising around at night in some seriously cool car. I first notice this because of the way other people are looking at me as they drive past. Then it slowly sinks in... “Whoa, I’m driving around in my plastic 71 Plymouth Hemi Cuda convertible!” But the cool part is I’m the only one that knows they’re not actually real cars, so I start thinking during my dream... “Hmm, what else do I have at home that I can bring out here?”

This made me wonder, has anyone else had these kind of dreams or am I just a kook?

Not really, but I do have occasional dreams about driving cars that I have never owned.

One scenario that seems to recur frequently for me is dreaming of having a large garage with maybe a half a dozen cars in various stages of disrepair or stages of restoration.

I always seem to have one that is close to completely restored, a couple that are very nice originals, and a few that need considerable work.

Could be that is some sort of reference to my models I suppose.

Steve

1 hour ago, Venom said:

Yeah I know, this is a strange one... or maybe not so much.

So, from time to time I’ll be dreaming that I’m out cruising around at night in some seriously cool car. I first notice this because of the way other people are looking at me as they drive past. Then it slowly sinks in... “Whoa, I’m driving around in my plastic 71 Plymouth Hemi Cuda convertible!” But the cool part is I’m the only one that knows they’re not actually real cars, so I start thinking during my dream... “Hmm, what else do I have at home that I can bring out here?”

This made me wonder, has anyone else had these kind of dreams or am I just a kook?

Now that's just silly sez i, flying around in my F-15 or P-51, or X-Wing, doing flybys....

Don

I have a mental list of cars I dreamed about that I'm going to build at some point! 

It's a fairly short list - in the last decade I've only dreamed of a pearl orange 69 Charger, a stock red original version Viper and just last week I 'found' a patina'd old MG sports car that I had just seen mentioned in Road and Track...in my dream I found the body and fenders sitting next to a dumpster waiting to be hauled off and I decided they needed to come home with me :D

On a similar topic-in 2018 I was extremely into the Playstation video game, GT Sport. I was spending at least a few hours every day racing online (like IRacing) At one point I was classified 39th in the north/south America region and had gotten so serious my mental attitude was suffering. I remember hopping into my Durango and for a few moments having that same competitive mindset. I actually had to tell myself it's not a video game. ?

7 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I have a mental list of cars I dreamed about that I'm going to build at some point! 

It's a fairly short list - in the last decade I've only dreamed of a pearl orange 69 Charger, a stock red original version Viper and just last week I 'found' a patina'd old MG sports car that I had just seen mentioned in Road and Track...in my dream I found the body and fenders sitting next to a dumpster waiting to be hauled off and I decided they needed to come home with me :D

The only particular ones that I can remember driving in my dreams were a late 60s to early '70s Chevy 4x4 in medium green, and a dark green '69 Pontiac Grand Prix.

The Grand Prix kind of threw me, which is probably why I remember it.

I own a turquoise 1:1 '69 Grand Prix with a painted top, but the one in my dream was dark green with a darker green or black vinyl top. :huh:

Your guess is as good as mine.

If memory serves me correctly, the truck looked a lot like this:

54758481_934.jpg

And the Grand Prix like this:

1969-pontiac-grand-prix-model-j-nice-southern-car-400-cold-air-power-windows-3.JPG

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

On 11/13/2020 at 10:04 AM, CabDriver said:

This seems like the type of dream I’d have... and then when I woke up I’d be disappointed that I didn’t have those parts after all. Maybe a few months later I’d have a recurring dream about it and realize I’d left the body and fenders in my buddy’s garage and I’d feel so relieved!... only to wake again and realize it wasn’t true ?

I have dreamed about the out of the way hobby shop or hobby area in a department store. Usually slightly shabby or neglected. Only car models- some are built and on display. Most kits are of cars which have never been made 1 to 1: usually exotically bodied Bugattis or other foreign cars. Sometimes there are multi build kits with the incredible 60's box art, but again, nothing that has ever been produced. Wishful thinking in  dreamland............

I have variations of this dream from time to time:

I'm walking around somewhere. A mall, an antique store, swap meet, garage sale - whatever. 

All of a sudden I come across a shelf (a box, a room) full of model kits, most are vintage, sometimes they're built.

I look for prices and they are always cheap so I start to look through them trying to gather the ones I want. At first, I recognize ones I've been looking for or have never seen before, but are very cool!

I keep gathering, but the more I take, the more parts are missing from them and I can't find the parts that I know were just on it seconds before. 

Then I start finding stuff I don't want, and it overtakes the desirable stuff and soon I can't find the ones I like anymore - or someone else is grabbing the ones I want! I'm losing them and anxiety starts kicking in.

When I wake up I remember what could have been, and get sad thinking of all the great kits I missed out on!

I have an awesome collection in my dreams!

Someday I'll post pictures of them here, whenever I can get them home from the "Twilight Zone"

On 11/13/2020 at 6:00 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

[...]  If memory serves me correctly, the truck looked a lot like this:

54758481_934.jpg

[...]

That's funny, I own a '68, had a '69 before.  That one is a beauty!

Only one time, the dream was coming up to a brick one story shop, the parking lot on the side had tables with white paper over them, set up for a contest.  The show was for the whole weekend, I was wondering if my models would be safe outside for two days and a night, so was hesitant to enter.

I have a reoccurring theme, driving around aimlessly, mostly lost in a city, sometimes in the woods, like I'm in a rally.  I never see the car I'm in.  So I'm missing out.