Model Cars Magazine Forum

Decanting paint tip

I like to decant paint and use my airbrush. Usually i rig up a straw and tape to spray into a jar, but i did find a neater alternative. I recently bought a few cans of Internal frame treatment for the 1:1 project in my garage from Eastwood. The aerosol cans come  fitted with a long plastic tube that terminates in a wide spray nozzle. The idea is you snake this down the framerails of your car and spray 360 degrees . I bought several cans and had some tubes left over. So I cut off the nozzle and tried it out on a few old Testors cans. It worked great! the tube cleans up with Lacquer thinner too. The tube is permanently fixed to the spray can nozzle. I dont know if you can buy these tubes individually but its a thought.

If you  like to decant here is another way. I made these by taking the spray nozzle out of the spray head. The tubing comes from most any spray bottle. A little plumber teflon tape around the tube and jam it in the hole left by the nozzle. Shown are a Testors and Tamiya spray heads. Savogram Brush and roller cleaner works better than laquer thinner. These have been cleaned many times. 

DSC06872.JPG

On 11/13/2020 at 10:12 AM, Rich Chernosky said:

If you  like to decant here is another way. I made these by taking the spray nozzle out of the spray head. The tubing comes from most any spray bottle. A little plumber teflon tape around the tube and jam it in the hole left by the nozzle. Shown are a Testors and Tamiya spray heads. Savogram Brush and roller cleaner works better than laquer thinner. These have been cleaned many times. 

DSC06872.JPG

I like this idea.... I've used w-40 straws cut too 3" lengths and get 3 pieces out of it.....