Model Cars Magazine Forum

1934 Ford Pickup

alan barton

I don't think there are nearly enough modifications to this little pickup/towtruck to warrant a build thread but here's what I did anyhow.

This is a Lindberg release of the AMT 1934 Ford Pickup. Just one of those amazing kits that speaks volumes on the quality of AMT kits in the first golden age.  Laser sharp detailing, perfect proportions and just in need of an update in running gear if you want to produce a contemporary model.

The fenders are painted Testor's Burgundy Red metallic while the body and bed are Testors cream, both are enamel straight from the spray can.  Wheels on one side are the 34 wires in the kit while the other side are 40 Ford rims and hubcaps. I widened the rears by cutting the outer rim off a Monogram 56 Chevy hubcap wheel.  This gave me a slightly larger diameter outer rim which made for a perfect fit in the Monogram 1/24th scale rear tyres.

The dropped front axle had a lot of the spring removed to get it much lower.  I actually put the stock axle in by mistake the first time - there is so little difference between the stock and dropped axles in this kit.  I grafted a second carb onto the stock AMT flathead.  I didn't even do wiring on this engine because the hood is so awkward to remove without damaging the paint that I don't want to risk it. The towing boom is straight from the kit but is not glued in at this stage until I decide whether I am going to display it as a pickup or a towtruck. 

Please feel free to drop a comment or critique.  This is my second build of one of these models and I have a stretched ramp truck, a panel delivery and a channelled retro rod to get done along with a gazillion other projects!

Cheers

Alan

20200830_132317.jpg

20200830_132613.jpg

20200620_224838.jpg

20200830_132807.jpg

20200829_082617.jpg

20200620_224333.jpg

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed my project.  It's a simple beast but sometimes you need to step away from the full blown mega detailed stuff. The stance is probably my favourite part, especially that I just massaged the stock components.

Tom, the taillights are from the kit!  I was hunting through my lights box looking for something a bit different and then noticed the kit chrome sprue - waidaminnut!  They were perfect and considering the age of this kit, period perfect as well! They are a little tricky to run the clear red over the chrome surface but I like 'em!

Cheers

Alan