Model Cars Magazine Forum

Eric Hight’s 1962 Thunderbird

TimKustom

I recently finished this model and thought I would share the story behind it.

It was started by my good friend Eric Hight. He passed away in 2017 and those that knew him would likely remember him and wouldn’t forget him.

I remember him telling me about all the detail he was putting into it, every line, hoses with clamps, etc. all researched as he would do. This model was to be his entry into the 2003 GSL common kit class for the AMT 1962 Thunderbird. He spent a ton of time working on the interior using all of the photo etch that is included in the Model Car Garage detail set. He went so far as casting the dash, door panels and console to have several copies “just in case.” He went even further by opening up the grille to fit the photo etch grille and casting that as well. All chrome on the model was sent out to be replated during that time. He also told me he had the Rangoon Red lacquer made for it and it was polished to perfection.

1-IMG-7004-2k.jpg

2-IMG-7006-2k.jpg

3-IMG-7002-2k.jpg

4-IMG-7018-2k.jpg

Shortly before GSL-18 he was doing final assembly, and hit a road block. The chassis, interior, windshield, and body assemblies would not “snap” in place how they should (step 5 in the instructions if you have the kit). He tried cramming it, but that slightly chipped the paint and other parts started breaking loose. I remember him calling me about it, cussing the model. He was an expert modeler and he told me this model got the best of him.

5-IMG-7008-2k.jpg

So he threw it in a box to never be seen until after he passed.

When I received the box, it was in pretty rough shape. Serious dirt accumulation and many parts were missing. The engine he told me about all with the detail was gone as was the rear axle, and the front suspension was all busted up. The good news was the interior was mostly complete (only missing the front seats) and the body was still in good shape just needing a throughout cleaning, polish, foil touch up and some missing photo etch bits replaced.

IMG-4195-2k.jpg

I got a donor kit for the missing pieces and got to work building an new engine and worked to match the level of detail with the donor parts. The rear seat had to be repainted to match the replacement front seats but I chose a finish that was close to what was there.

8-IMG-7019.jpg

While rebuilding the chassis, I made the front wheels poseable. An extra detail I think he would appreciate that I don't think he had originally plan to include. I also think he would have approved of swapping the original tires for the narrow white walls now available in the AMT tire packs.

6-IMG-7015-2k.jpg

Much like him, it tested my skills to get it finished. But there's another story behind this model…

About the same time Eric started his build, my wife and I were at a show and she picked up an AMT 62 Thunderbird only this one was the pre-painted example. I thought that would be a great “first model” for her since it had a lot of pieces and it would get her accustomed to handing and glueing a variety of small parts. If she could get through this one, she would be prepared to paint a simpler model next.

10-IMG-7023.jpg

She managed to get it together without too much trouble and it still looks pretty good today. Eric and my wife got along great and enjoyed sharing discussions about building their T-Birds, even though Eric had to admit defeat with his.

9-IMG-7024-2k.jpg

I think he would approve of them they sitting side by side today.

My god what futuristic cars they made at that time late 50s early 60s specifically everything looks like a rocket or a space race vs the USSR ( one of my favorite topics) very nice needs a diorama of some sort i think, seems like a very intense model.

Tim, the story is as inspiring as it is sad. Modeling can be so personal. A wonderful tribute.

The model is jaw-dropping, and with good pics it's one of those posts where I spend a little extra time just adding up all the detail you and Eric put into it, hoping to learn something. Really glad you shared this.

Edited by Lunajammer

14 hours ago, Russell C said:

Great work, fabulous tribute! I know that name, and I probably met him once or twice at the GSL contests. But I'm having a senior moment in trying to remember what some of his other prominent models were. Anybody remember?

He frequented the GSL's for many years. I believe he placed every time he went except maybe once. He typically build factory stock or box plus. I have a few more of his models that I will share in the future.

Thanks for all the wonderful comments. Glad you all enjoyed story as well.