Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford f150 box truck

And hello to all guys !! After several days of absence I started with a new small but interesting project. I would like to make a box truck, like those used for removals based on a ford f 150 ... The basic model has not yet arrived and I'm still looking for the best solution to build the box, I should have the pattern file from somewhere in the computer ... For now, any advice is welcome Thanks for the attention!!

20201113_204704.jpg

Actually, these things are still built on the current E-Series chassis, which has been around basically unchanged since fax machines were still commonplace. Most are build on the E450 chassis, but the E350 is still available. These are still available with the 6.8L V10 gas engine, as well as the 6.2L gas engine from the F-Series Super Duties. 

And these vans aren't going anywhere any time soon. At work, we've started getting our 2021 E450s in, with the 16ft Transit Classik aluminum cubevan bodies. We order literally hundreds of these each year. And we have our initial orders placed for the 2022 E450, also unchanged.

Which F150 kit are you using? As for the box, a bunch of sheet styrene is what you will need. The image you posted appears to be a 17' (5.2m) long box, so you will definitely need to stretch the frame. Try to search for "chassis cab" images of the year of truck you are building to get a better idea of how the frame looks. 

I will not rely on a kit but on a 1/34 scale toy that I would like to modify in order to make it as similar as possible to that, the box I would like to use instead is a pattern that I have in the computer archive for a few years, and honestly, it will look strange to you, but I'm not sure if I make the styrene box, I really like papercraft, so I was thinking of building it very precisely out of paper, add details in platicard and then spray it with glossy paint that gives texture and a laminated effect. I learned this method from the modelers who build paper airliners and I find it really valid??

It will be a bit of an arranged build because here in Italy the model shops have closed due to the covid and I can't buy styrene or paints, so I have to deal with what I have. When all this is over, I have a nice jeep golden hawk to get my hands on ... ??

20201115_102248.jpg

Looking forward to this build...I love the idea...I have a die cast model similar to this, but a bit more of an aerodynamic shape... You may find the Ford Louisville box truck of some use to build this thing... If for nothing else, the rear door and floor could work well... I believe they are being issued in the Coca Cola guise, these days... Or even the C-600 kit's box... Just sand down the ribs, cut out the wheel wells, and you're set...

Edited by kilrathy10

On 11/15/2020 at 3:13 AM, Aerodyne03 said:

I will not rely on a kit but on a 1/34 scale toy that I would like to modify in order to make it as similar as possible to that, the box I would like to use instead is a pattern that I have in the computer archive for a few years, and honestly, it will look strange to you, but I'm not sure if I make the styrene box, I really like papercraft, so I was thinking of building it very precisely out of paper, add details in platicard and then spray it with glossy paint that gives texture and a laminated effect. I learned this method from the modelers who build paper airliners and I find it really valid??

I have seen some paper models, and they are fantastic, no matter what the subject... I'd love to try something like that, myself... That's a good idea, too...

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2020 at 1:24 AM, Aerodyne03 said:

It will be a bit of an arranged build because here in Italy the model shops have closed due to the covid and I can't buy styrene or paints, so I have to deal with what I have. When all this is over, I have a nice jeep golden hawk to get my hands on ... ??

20201115_102248.jpg

If you can purchase "For Sale" signs from a Hardware or Home supply store they will work for styrene sheets. 

Later-