Model Cars Magazine Forum

Office models

For the first time in my working career I have my own office so naturally I had to put a few models in it. I recently bought this case from an antique store that was going out of business and I thought it would be perfect for the office.  My wife loved the idea because it got some models out of the craft room and I loved it because now I have space in the craft room to build more!

20201113_143749.jpg

Which model are you talking about Tom?  The NASCAR truck is normally in a plastic display case, I just took it out and set it on top of the cabinet for the picture.  The Bigfoot is on a 12 x 12 base which unfortunately I have never been able to find an affordable case for.

The problem with people decorating their workspaces is that many have the misguided belief that the office/cubicle is an actual physical extension of their home. It isn't. It's where you are supposed to perform the work you are being paid to do. It isn't supposed to be a display area for toys or other junk. One of the customer service reps at the Con Edison office in Downtown Brooklyn had so many models cluttering up his area that his space looked like a friggin' thrift shop and it was impossible to conduct business there. After numerous complaints from customers and coworkers, he was told to clean up the office and get rid of the stuff.

Back when I had a cubicle or office, I rarely ever put anything personal in them. Always lived by the rule of never have anything you can’t walk away from in 30 sec (or pack up in a couple minutes).  But since I’ve worked out of my house the last few years, I have a lot of models in my home office....

41 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Back when I had a cubicle or office, I rarely ever put anything personal in them. Always lived by the rule of never have anything you can’t walk away from in 30 sec (or pack up in a couple minutes).  But since I’ve worked out of my house the last few years, I have a lot of models in my home office....

Back when we were "working from office" (pre-COVID), one of my neighbors in the Cube Farm felt the same way. She took everything home with her every night. I knew that it was around 09:00 every morning when I heard a sigh and a sound like two SBC cylinder heads being dropped across the wall from me.

I have 48 1/64 cars in four cases and some random 1/43 stuff on my desk at work. There isn't room for much else and still have the stuff I need for work. If our WFH situation lasts into 2021, I may bring some of it home.