Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Heller Renault Estafette

20 hours ago, Faust said:

Wow! Now THAT is some French ugliness!!!

You know I love Hellers, and I love to hate French cars, and this one... that's so disgustingly ugly that I'm going to be getting one if I can find it. 

I truly don't get the Renault design philosophy. Some of their cars are okay. The rest.... like the 5, the 14, 16 and lots of others are just hideous. This thing looks like a constipated puffer fish. 

You know that makes me want it. :)

I don't agree with you, the 5 is a variation of the AMC pacer...

the 16 as a sort of 64 barracuda grill shape, and should make a great lowrider..

2 hours ago, oldrevellfan said:

I don't agree with you, the 5 is a variation of the AMC pacer...

the 16 as a sort of 64 barracuda grill shape, and should make a great lowrider..

Athough AMC sold the R5 as the Le Car, it was nowhere close to a Pacer. Whole different car. There was a bit of a joke here in the US that Renault could sell the Pacer calling it the The Voiturette.

I think comparing that repugnant little toad the Renault 5 to the bloated bullfrog that was the Pacer is an egregious insult. 

The problem is... I don't know who should feel worse!

Sorry... can't buy in. So much gag reflex when I see many different French cars, but the 5 has always given me the creeps. 

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For me, I love the design of the French cars, they dare to think outside the box and spend a bit more time on the design than other manufacturers did. Nowadays that is not really happening anymore as most cars can basically be brand-switched with different lights and emblems.

I have to say that there is quite a difference between the American 5 (leCar) and the original 5 (the European). The American version is a European one, with a lot of modifications to meet the required american laws, which wasn't counted for in the original design and that shows.

But the European version is in balance and quite stylish, compared to other European cars from that era, especially compared to the German counterparts.

I am a second-generation 5 (super5 or super-cinque) owner and I do love the design of that small car. I have the sporty version, which has a small turbo-charged I4 engine, but generates enough oomph to have fun. even though it has only 120 hp, it also weighs about 1600 pounds.

Dsc00970-2.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Creative Explorer said:

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For me, I love the design of the French cars, they dare to think outside the box and spend a bit more time on the design than other manufacturers did. Nowadays that is not really happening anymore as most cars can basically be brand-switched with different lights and emblems.

I have to say that there is quite a difference between the American 5 (leCar) and the original 5 (the European). The American version is a European one, with a lot of modifications to meet the required american laws, which wasn't counted for in the original design and that shows.

But the European version is in balance and quite stylish, compared to other European cars from that era, especially compared to the German counterparts.

I am a second-generation 5 (super5 or super-cinque) owner and I do love the design of that small car. I have the sporty version, which has a small turbo-charged I4 engine, but generates enough oomph to have fun. even though it has only 120 hp, it also weighs about 1600 pounds.

Dsc00970-2.jpg

A good friend of mine had a Turbo, (his trade-in was a Golf II GTI), it was fast as hell, later he got a Clio turbo, but then got married and a kid, so his next car was a Megane Diesel

3 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

A good friend of mine had a Turbo, (his trade-in was a Golf II GTI), it was fast as hell, later he got a Clio turbo, but then got married and a kid, so his next car was a Megane Diesel

I got married, have 2 kids and......:  My other car is a Megane diesel......... ?

But, I bought this back in 2002 and still have it. Just bought a place where I can have it actually at home and the plan is to get it back on the road this year. It hasn't been since 2006.

They feel quite fast, and the turbo lag is very entertaining ?

It is still a honest ride, steering is responsive, handling is like it should in a hot hatch and they smell like petrol ?

On 1/17/2021 at 7:01 AM, The Creative Explorer said:

Dsc00970-2.jpg

Good for you! Looks like a fun ride (especially with 120 hp under the hood for its weight).

I don't see anything ugly about your car.  You are rigth., U.S. government regulations in the '70s ruined the looks of many foreign cars. The 5 MPH bumpers and the sealed-beam headlights just to mention the main reasons for this.

1983_Renault_LeCar_resize.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
1 minute ago, The Creative Explorer said:

And for the info; bot kits are identical in parts! The ONLY difference is the decals.

Interesting...from the box art, it looks like the police one is a window van while the other is a panel van.   So they have inserts for the window openings? 

6 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Interesting...from the box art, it looks like the police one is a window van while the other is a panel van.   So they have inserts for the window openings? 

No, it is even weirder than that.

The panelvan sides are molded in grey plastic and included in both boxes, but the passengervan sides are completely molded in clear plastic! and also included in both boxes.

So, it doesn't matter which version you want; just go for the cheapest box you can find, unless you want the specific decals.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Creative Explorer said:

No, it is even weirder than that.

The panelvan sides are molded in grey plastic and included in both boxes, but the passengervan sides are completely molded in clear plastic! and also included in both boxes.

That reminds of how Heller does interior door panels on some kits---clear pieces w/ the window molded as part of the inner door panel.

• 9 months later...