Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know if there are any 1/32 kits with opening hoods and engines ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monogram did a few in the Eighties...I remember a '69 or so Nova, and looked at a '69 Charger yesterday.  I'm sure there were a few others.

Pyro made a few back in the Sixties.  They made three series of 1/32 scale car kits.  There was a cheaper series that sold for 60 cents apiece, a handful of those included engine detail.  They also made a series of classic cars and another series of "brass era" cars, some of those kits had engines also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kenneth,

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but Monogram did a very, very detailed series of 1/32nd scale funny cars in the early 1980s, with updated versions in the early 1990's.  More details and pictures are in my new book "Collecting Drag Racing Model Kits".  I had pretty much forgotten about these and when I opened them back up when I was researching the book, I was quite frankly astounded at the level of detail in the kits.    

Again, suspect funny car kits is not what you had in mind, but if it is within your interest range, I highly recommend these kits...

TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Airfix released a very detailed 1/32 Jaguar saloon and a Mercedes pagoda coupe way back when.  Both of them had engines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Kenneth,

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but Monogram did a very, very detailed series of 1/32nd scale funny cars in the early 1980s, with updated versions in the early 1990's.  More details and pictures are in my new book "Collecting Drag Racing Model Kits".  I had pretty much forgotten about these and when I opened them back up when I was researching the book, I was quite frankly astounded at the level of detail in the kits.    

Again, suspect funny car kits is not what you had in mind, but if it is within your interest range, I highly recommend these kits...

TIM 

Wow the legend Tim boyd himself commented on my post. I'm honored . Thank you . A 1/32 funny car would be really cool. I picked up 2 Lindberg 1/32 kits the other day and they don't have opening hoods or engines. Kind of neat the smallness of the kits though. They're kinda cool. Again thanks for your comments 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received a 1/32 Ford engine in a trade, unfortunately I do not know which kit it came from.  But for such a small scale it is fairly detailed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, here's your options based on my 1/32 stash:

Aurora: most of their hot rod/street rods had generic V8 motors that can be modified to look "close" to something

Pyro/Lindberg/LifeLike: most of the Table Top vintage cars that had removable hoods had an actual engine inside, the rest had the oil pan cast into the chassis/fender piece.

Later Lindberg IMSA kits are real treasures, with full detail engines, suspension and interiors. The Corvette being optimal for engine parts.

MPC had some European racing kits that have complete engines.

Revell had a few british cars that had complete engines, most of their 1/32 were snap or simplified glue kits, with the exception of mid-fifties glue kits which had complete engines (but unfortunately, no front or rear glass)

The nascar snap kit (AMT,Monogram)have a simplified motor but it is a complete motor once you separate it from the chassis plate.

As has been said, the funny car snap kits have complete motors, with two basic options, mopar or ford engines.

Monogram released the following glue-kits: Nova, Charger, Trans Am, and EXP. They were released in two different levels, stock-ish and with speed parts.

There are a few possibilites with Heller and high detail Gunze Sanyo.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

I received a 1/32 Ford engine in a trade, unfortunately I do not know which kit it came from.  But for such a small scale it is fairly detailed.

it could have been one of those under-scaled 1/25 scale Testors Cougar 2 engines.

Edited by blunc
added content

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lindberg has re-issued at least 2 old PYRO 1/32 kits with engines, the '32 and '34 Plymouth roadsters.  The engine is a straight 6.  I think those were last re-issued in the '80s or '90s, but they're common on eBay and don't cost too much.

Lindberg also reissued the ex-PYRO 1915 Model T not so long ago, it has an engine.

Some of the Matchbox 1/32 kits had engines, like the Citroen Legere and the Rolls-Royce "Black Diamond."  Both kits are well-detailed.  Revell has re-issued the Rolls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot the Revell (some were originally Revell-AMT) 1955-56 "annual" 1/32 scale car kits.  These included Buick, Mercury, Chrysler, Ford convertible, and Continental Mark II.  All of them included engines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This build has the engine from the Monogram Nova.

20170427_105601.thumb.jpg.c2465f266ffcb6da76cd67654540af40.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MPC repackaged the Airfix line of 1/32 kits. Some CanAm cars and some vintage type cars like a Rolls and a Daracq.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot about the Matchbox 1/32 cars.  They also did a 1930 Packard, and an Auto Union racer, if you're looking for something a little more exotic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget the Red Ram Dodge Hemi out of the new tool AMT Ala Kart.  It's a lot closer to 1/32 than 1/25th!

Cheers

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2020 at 7:14 PM, blunc said:

Monogram released the following glue-kits: Nova, Charger, Trans Am, and EXP. They were released in two different levels, stock-ish and with speed...

 

I seem to remember an 82-ish Camaro in that series too...

I can attest to the fact that the Hemi in the ‘69 Charger and the engine in the ‘71 Firebird were very nice, although to remove them you would have to cut the lower engine from the chassis plate. 

The “custom” Charger came with a blower for the Hemi, I think in both versions of the Firebird, you got the stock engine with shaker hood scoop.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2020 at 7:24 PM, blunc said:

This build has the engine from the Monogram Nova.

20170427_105601.thumb.jpg.c2465f266ffcb6da76cd67654540af40.jpg

That is SUPER nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

I seem to remember an 82-ish Camaro in that series too...

I can attest to the fact that the Hemi in the ‘69 Charger and the engine in the ‘71 Firebird were very nice, although to remove them you would have to cut the lower engine from the chassis plate. 

The “custom” Charger came with a blower for the Hemi, I think in both versions of the Firebird, you got the stock engine with shaker hood scoop.

 

You are correct about the Camaro I forgot about, the custom version had non-stock wheels (which looked worse that the z-28 wheels IMHO).

The custom TA had the air cleaners you see on the red 34 in previous post.

The custom Charger did have the blower, with 2 carbs on top of it with short velocity stacks.

All of the motors in these Monogram kits had the bottom half of the engine cast as part of the chassis and would have to be cut out.

Here is a shot of the engine I have prepped for the 1/32 '71 Trans Am, this won't be showroom stock, I have "upgraded" the engine to HEI dist and 8mm plug wires.:

71-TA_motor.thumb.jpg.3b8214199dbe0fa3a497de015f87363a.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Airfix 1/32 Triumph TR-4A has a nice little engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If 1/35 is also an option, and it doesn't have to be limited to modern(ish) and US cars, you could consider some Miniart kits. These are more detailed than many 1/24 car kits, sometimes even down to spark plugs coming as single parts etc. They are mostly focused on military stuff, but also offer some interesting civilian kits.

I have some of their kits in my stash, like the Mercedes 170V delivery van which can be built with doors and hoods opened, has a detailed engine and has a parts count of around 250.

 

 

Edited by mattg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2020 at 4:24 PM, blunc said:

This build has the engine from the Monogram Nova.

20170427_105601.thumb.jpg.c2465f266ffcb6da76cd67654540af40.jpg

That is beautiful!!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2020 at 2:12 PM, tim boyd said:

Kenneth,

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but Monogram did a very, very detailed series of 1/32nd scale funny cars in the early 1980s, with updated versions in the early 1990's.  More details and pictures are in my new book "Collecting Drag Racing Model Kits".  I had pretty much forgotten about these and when I opened them back up when I was researching the book, I was quite frankly astounded at the level of detail in the kits.    

Again, suspect funny car kits is not what you had in mind, but if it is within your interest range, I highly recommend these kits...

TIM 

Sir where can I purchase your book?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2020 at 12:57 AM, mattg said:

If 1/35 is also an option, and it doesn't have to be limited to modern(ish) and US cars, you could consider some Miniart kits. These are more detailed than many 1/24 car kits, sometimes even down to spark plugs coming as single parts etc. They are mostly focused on military stuff, but also offer some interesting civilian kits.

I have some of their kits in my stash, like the Mercedes 170V delivery van which can be built with doors and hoods opened, has a detailed engine and has a parts count of around 250.

Thanks, I completely forgot about the 1/35 kits.  Another good source is the Ukrainian company ICM (which has also upscaled some of its 1/35 kits to 1/24).   

Here's the ICM "Stalin-mobile," the 1936 Packard Twelve in 1/35 (pic stolen from internet).  That 12-cylinder engine should look good in a hot rod project!

icm_pack.jpg

Edited by Mike999
omit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Brudda said:

Sir where can I purchase your book?

Bruce...best is to purchase it by the web....search for "Collecting Drag Racing Model Kits by Tim Boyd". 

It's immediately available from CarTechBooks.com, the publishers.  You can also find it on Amazon.com, though some buyers have told me that they seem to keep having issues keeping it in stock.  I also recommend buying it from ModelRoundup.com, AutoWorld.com,  Pasteiner's in Birmingham, MI, and from the Kalmbach magazine hobby website.  Also, signed copies, if that is important to you, are still available from ModelCave in Ypsilanti, Michigan to the best of my knowledge.  It is due to be available, eventually, at Barnes and Noble but due to the pandemic business disruptions, it could be months before that happens.   Retail is $36.95 for about 180 pages with nearly 400 color pictures  over 13 chapters.   

Thanks for asking, and if you get the book, hope you enjoy it!   Cheers....TIM 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Brudda said:

That is beautiful!!!! 

thank you, FYI, the wheels/tires are 1/32 slot car.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...