Model Cars Magazine Forum

25 years and counting...

George Bojaciuk

LOL i'm 68 and i have 3 kits that i have been working on that keep stalling me out for 35 years i have built many in between just can't seem to get these 3 done. I love what you have done so far it looks awesome i think your just about at the finish line with this one awesome so far. I started to build when i was 10 my first car was the AMT 3-in-1 1962 Ford Fairlane i still have the model the box and the extra parts a good modeler never throughs anything out LOL.!!!

Thanks for the kind words.
Some back story... yes, this is probably 25 years in the making. I had the paint buffed to a high luster and was very pleased. Decided to do one more buff....I could see I disturbed the flake. I saw it, yet no one else sees it. It sat on my bench as a reminder to say when to quit. A friend kept bugging me to finish it. Last year, while out in Toledo, I decided to make a list and knock out stale projects. This one came back to life, as did a few others. Taking little bites every day helps to get stuff done. If I run into a snag, I move to another project. So no....I haven’t spent 25 years building this. I’m also doing a write up on it, so pics and articles take time. I recently did a Randall Gremlin display for a friend...that had some paint  issues but was completed to my satisfaction rather quickly. I build for myself and to share the build with those interested thru my column.  I’m not into power builds or builds for an event. I build to enjoy and really don’t want to spoil that with unreasonable deadlines.

On 11/16/2020 at 5:43 PM, George Bojaciuk said:

Thanks for the kind words.
Some back story... yes, this is probably 25 years in the making. I had the paint buffed to a high luster and was very pleased. Decided to do one more buff....I could see I disturbed the flake. I saw it, yet no one else sees it. It sat on my bench as a reminder to say when to quit. A friend kept bugging me to finish it. Last year, while out in Toledo, I decided to make a list and knock out stale projects. This one came back to life, as did a few others. Taking little bites every day helps to get stuff done. If I run into a snag, I move to another project. So no....I haven’t spent 25 years building this. I’m also doing a write up on it, so pics and articles take time. I recently did a Randall Gremlin display for a friend...that had some paint  issues but was completed to my satisfaction rather quickly. I build for myself and to share the build with those interested thru my column.  I’m not into power builds or builds for an event. I build to enjoy and really don’t want to spoil that with unreasonable deadlines.

George....that's a really cool model (and that's from someone who is not particularly a fan of the '55 Chevs....)....and the paint looks really sharp to me.  

So glad to hear you are revisiting old projects that got disrupted by something that didn't turn out "perfect".   To me, personally, a not quite perfect model that is finished and proudly displayed is worth so much more than a half-completed project wasting away sitting in a box somewhere, just because something didn't quite go perfectly during painting or assembly.  And "I build to enjoy" is such a right on statement of what this hobby should be, above all else, for all of us.  

Way to go, my friend.  And looking forward to your next blog update....TIM