Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking to add detail. Would these be accurate for this build?

I'm building AMT's '65 Galaxie kit, which isn't bad, but could benefit from some upgrades.  

Here's where I need help.  Seems like many models of this vintage lack any inner wheel/brake detail.  I noticed Scenes Unlimited carries these items which he lists as brake backing plates: B02A_1024x1024.JPG?v=1429840025

1) Would these be accurate for a '65 Galaxie?

2) If so, which is front and which is rear?

3) Any pics out there on how they would've appeared in factory stock form (colors etc)?

TIA for all helpful replies! 

They're reasonably OK-generic for that general period backing plates on US-built drum brakes, and look Ford-enough to easily pass.

I'd use the lower ones for the front because of the two extra dimples.

Probably black as delivered, rusty, dusty, and greasy after a few years.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, dmthamade said:

Look pretty typical for drum brake backing plates. Use the bottom for the rear, they have the dimples where the parking brake cables would enter the plate.

Don

59 minutes ago, blunc said:

I agree with Bill with one exception, I think the dimpled back plates should be used on the rear because the emergency brake cable was most likely connected through a dimple.

Depending on how you read the dimple, it could go either way.

These are front Ford backing plates of similar vintage.

68 69 Torino Mustang front spindle drum brake backing ...

But in this case, I'll agree with blunc and dmthamade because the dimples on the model parts in question are on the opposite side of the backing plate from the wheel cylinder, which is where a parking brake cable would go in.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

19 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Very nicely illustrated and explained, guys. Posts like this make me proud to be a member. This is precisely what the forum is about.

I couldn't agree more.  I truly appreciate all the info you guys provided. Special thanks to oldmopars for the detailed breakdown of the parts in question.  

Don't use those on a GM product or the rivet counters will get you! That's clearly a Bendix system, not Delco-Moraine!

(Ducks under desk, dons the flame suit)

Seriously, this has been a very good thread and hasn't started circling the drain like they so often can.