Model Cars Magazine Forum

56 Ford short track car.

wrenchr

Been working on this the last week. Using PPP tires and wheels. Not patterned after any car just a fun project for a shelf model. Thinned the body from the inside and the used a lighter to bend/dent the panels and then foiled the outside panels. 

AMT 56 Ford.  

IMG_8999.jpg

IMG_9002.jpg

IMG_9003.jpg

IMG_9004.jpg

IMG_8996.jpg

IMG_8997.jpg

Still not worked on the front suspension. Will tackle that here soon. I added a black wash on the body and I think it looks a lot more distressed now. Need to had some grime but will wait to it is closer to finished. This is going to be for a diorama I have been working on here and there. I did another 56 ford earlier in the year. 

The hood is still a work in progress. need to come up with some kind of marking.  

IMG_9049.jpg

IMG_9050.jpg

IMG_9051.jpg

IMG_9052.jpg

IMG_9053.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/20/2020 at 4:52 PM, DrKerry said:

Looks good!!! 

Thanks Kerry,

I need to swap the front frame on this to get it to sit right. To use the kit setup and to set the ride height where I want it it sits on the suspension.  

Here it is in storage on the trailer. :) 

IMG_9093.jpg

IMG_9094.jpg

Edited by wrenchr

20 hours ago, wrenchr said:

Thanks Kerry,

I need to swap the front frame on this to get it to sit right. To use the kit setup and to set the ride height where I want it it sits on the suspension.  

Here it is in storage on the trailer. :) 

IMG_9093.jpg

IMG_9094.jpg

very nice!!! Love the truck too!!!

• 1 month later...

That is looking dead on for an early low bucks race car!  A few years ago I built a 57 on a very similar theme but not as beaten up, maybe it was it's first night rather than the end of the season?  I would never have thought of doing a black wash over the entire body - I really like that effect and will be trying it on my next dirt car..

Could I suggest a light wipe across your decals in the damaged areas with a piece of 240 wet and dry would add some scuffs to show where it had been hit?  I think it would add a lot to the wear and tear you are representing so well here.  Can't wait to see it finished.

Cheers

Alan

18 hours ago, alan barton said:

That is looking dead on for an early low bucks race car!  A few years ago I built a 57 on a very similar theme but not as beaten up, maybe it was it's first night rather than the end of the season?  I would never have thought of doing a black wash over the entire body - I really like that effect and will be trying it on my next dirt car..

Could I suggest a light wipe across your decals in the damaged areas with a piece of 240 wet and dry would add some scuffs to show where it had been hit?  I think it would add a lot to the wear and tear you are representing so well here.  Can't wait to see it finished.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan,

I will try that with the sandpaper, never thought of it. The wash I have done on other cars and trucks and it really tones down the finish, but in this case gave more depth and grunge to the finish. On the Fairlane I did the same wash and then dullcote.   

IMG_9651.jpg.08ef58cd4a64d97b42ab66cd45bf320c.jpg

IMG_9647.jpg

IMG_9649.jpg

Wife kept me busy but some minor updates. Lightly sanded and added some light / dark brown paints to simulate dirt and also made the tires look dirty. I know the cars marked Firestone tires and the tires are hoosiers, not all uncommon for that to happen and I could not find my tire decals so I used my hoosier powerslide ones.  Thanks for the tip Alan!!

IMG_9680.jpg

IMG_9681.jpg

IMG_9686.jpg

IMG_9688.jpg

Edited by wrenchr

• 2 months later...
On 11/17/2020 at 12:10 PM, wrenchr said:

The front suspension is fighting me. Ride height. :( Will get it. 

I've sawed the original axle from the front spindle and found a piece of sprue runner or rod that fit in the wheel then after cutting it to the right length drilled through it and the spindle that will let you press a straight pin through.

I epoxy the pin in place putting it in from the inside of the spindle so the head of the pin goes against the backside of the spindle upright for a little more strength then coat the pin and the mating end of the replacement axle and push it on the pin and against the upright as tight as possible and usually use an alligator clip as a clamp to hold it in place then using a good set of snips or if you have a Dremel use a cut-off wheel to make a smoother cut. By doing some creative sanding to the end of your replacement axle on the surface where it meets the upright it's really easy to put some camber in the front suspension! Also and the pin makes it stronger than the original.

For the rear its even easier, just shorten the springs on a NASCAR type suspension, or with leaf springs just move the rear (or both) ends of the springs to a higher on the frame mounting point, and in the rear of the springs just make a little longer shackle (don't forget to reverse the way it mounts) that was the way we did it waaaay back to even lower our street cars. And there's always the old lowering block between the springs and axle housing with springs that mount under the gear housing. You have a good job going on a popular project.