Model Cars Magazine Forum

Butch Leal Firebird

lordgodbob

I'm just starting on the Butch Leal Black Firebird. This is easily the best looking Firebird ever, and I want it to be as low as possible. Stance is very important to me and the Firebird/Camaro kits just are not low enough. I modify the front spindles and shorten the rear shocks, and that helps. But at some point the headers and chassis are nearly on the ground, which is a problem in of itself. I use the Jukebox Ford headers on these cars, they tuck up much further and give me better ground clearance, but still the cars aren't low enough. On this one I'm going to try something different. In addition to the normal tricks,  I'm shortening everything that attaches to the chassis pan by as much as is feasible so that the body sits lower on the chassis. This may cause a chain reaction that messes everything up, we will see! 

I shortened the firewall, and the cage sides, and next up is make the stringers that go over the rear end sit lower....I'll post pictures as I go.

IMG_E3179[1].JPG

IMG_3174[1].JPG

IMG_3175[1].JPG

IMG_3176[1].JPG

IMG_3177[1].JPG

Edited by lordgodbob

On 11/21/2020 at 3:11 AM, comp1839 said:

a better, more accurate way to do this would be to build it more like the real deal. if you'd like some pics and info. i could give them to you. LMK.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, can you elaborate? I'm always looking for pics, so bring them on, definitely

your headers on this car should not be below the chassis. so, instead of chopping up your entire chassis.  if you simply modify the existing chassis / floor pan  you can achieve moving the headers up to a point higher than the main rails on the chassis.

PromodChassis4 2.jpg

PromodChassis32.jpg

49348571_10217685922810460_2350850701652918272_o.jpg

DSCN8799.JPG

1 hour ago, comp1839 said:

your headers on this car should not be below the chassis. so, instead of chopping up your entire chassis.  if you simply modify the existing chassis / floor pan  you can achieve moving the headers up to a point higher than the main rails on the chassis.

PromodChassis4 2.jpg

PromodChassis32.jpg

49348571_10217685922810460_2350850701652918272_o.jpg

DSCN8799.JPG

Ok, I see what you are saying, and I agree, the headers on those kits are not correct (in a lot of ways) and shouldn't hang so low.  I found headers that do not sit below the chassis and I use them when I build an F-Body. But, even after that, I can't get the car to sit low enough for my tastes. Even after drop spindles and shortened rear shocks the car just doesn't sit low enough over the tires, so I'm trying to lower the body on the chassis. I appreciate the tip, though!

Tim

I'm starting with a street car body on this build, so I have to fill in marker lights, gas filler, etc. as well as fill in the seam on the nose. I have them scuffed up and they'll be getting bondo tonight. I also had to straighten out the body, it had a bit of a twist to it. I can't be working on just one thing... I have SIX cars waiting to be clearcoated and assembled. On those I  just need to get the last custom decals delivered then I'll get back on them, but in the meantime I started on this Firebird as well as the Vandergriff 57 Pro Mod, so I'll stay busy while I wait for my decals!

IMG_3271[1].JPG

IMG_3272[1].JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Bodywork done, basecoat on, chassis is painted, basic engine assembly is done. Now I need to finish the interior, do some light weathering and detail work to the engine, and get the suspension in. I need to get it on it's feet and see if the stance is acceptable. I found a set of the gold wheels in my stash, so that is taken care of. I love this car, it may be the best looking P/S car ever, and I'm excited to see it finished!

IMG_3309[1].JPG

IMG_3307[1].JPG

well...It's low. not quite low enough for my taste, but i think I can get the body to sit a little lower in the front, that will help. The upper front tubes hit the "tin" on the bottom and limit how low the body can sit, so I'll take those back out and modify them, and at that point I will have done all I can do. Tomorrow or the next day I'll post the modified hood/scoop I made to better replicate the original.

IMG_3316[1].JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...