Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1957 Ford Fairlane 500

doorsovdoon

While I've been away doing other work I've been itching to get started on this one, so much so I did some priming and added a few details while I was busy on my other work. Multi tasking! I've heard good things about this kit, so when one finally turned up I bought it before they disappear again. The details I added was to scribe panel lines where the front wings meet the scuttle panel. I also scribed panel lines for the fresh air vent by the wipers and under the rear lights. The doors are a good fit but I did shave off some very fine flash on both the doors and the interior door cards for a perfect fit. I also found the hinges were touching the inside of the front wings preventing the doors from closing properly, they did close but depending on room temperature they would pop open, so I made extremely shallow 'pockets' on the inside of the wings where the hinges touched. I still haven't decided on a colour yet but it will be a two tone combo.

20201117_224322_LLS.JPG

20201117_224949.JPG

20201117_224410_LLS.JPG

20201117_224635.JPG

20201117_224801.JPG

I look forward to your build on this. I have always been a fan of this kit and despite it's age I think it still represents the '57 Ford well. You mentioned the fitment on the door hinges. Besides a little sanding for clearance my only suggestion would be to consider replacing the plastic hinge pins with some sort of a metal pin. This should reduce the natural binding that takes place between the two plastic surfaces and would ad some strength to the pin its self. I removed the roof on one I built years ago to make a model of a Convertible that I owned years ago. 

Agreed. Be careful with the plastic hinges. They were engineered some 50 years ago and especially the one on the drivers door has some wear on the tool.

Also make sure your door fit is good and allow for paint, they can be tight. Also check fit with the door interior piece attached or taped to the door.  Had some issues with the back edge and the jam.

This was one of the first "real kits" I had back when I was a kid. Notice I did not say "built" as you couldn't really say I had finished it. Sure had fun playing with it though.  ?

I'd advise attaching the head and tail light bezels, get the fit dialed in and re-prime before paint. 

And good luck with those doors.

Thanks for the tips, guys? I did some more test fitting of the doors. There are little hinge brackets that stop the door from opening too far and falling off. When fitted, the doors are too tight against the front wings and wont open. Pushing those little brackets back a little gave a nice panel line around the doors again but the hinges were then interfering on the pillar itself and pulling the brackets away:( 

Solution: I opened up the holes in the A pillar where the hinges slide in and out and now the doors open and close perfectly with a nice even panel gap all around. Light bezels fit pretty good, I'll glue those on before paint.

20201118_183028.JPG

20201118_183514.JPG

20201118_184455.JPG

6 minutes ago, Bainford said:

Nice work so far. The doors can be finicky, but you got a handle on it. I love the 57 Fords, I'll be watching this build.

They're not too bad to start with surprisingly for such an old mould but yeah, they do need a bit of finesse if you want them working properly.

On 11/19/2020 at 12:09 AM, Tom Geiger said:

It’s a fun kit with a lot of options. I have a couple of old builds I have restored with the custom parts. 

It's great when you can finish another kit using parts. I did that with my '65 Grand Prix Grand Slam, I built the custom and had enough stock parts left over to complete an incomplete custom '65 I found on ebay!

Progress is a bit slower than my usual pace due to casting 1-1 trim parts for a customer (pic below) but I should be back to full speed in the next day or two. I got some paint on the body and did the engine bay yesterday, I hope to at least do the doors and the hood today, maybe even get the second colour on. I'm thinking light blue if I go stock, but after seeing a mild custom version of this on Images I'm very tempted to go black with red stripe, red steels and maybe side pipes with a couple of pinstriping decals.

20201123_084820_LLS.JPG

20201123_084852_LLS.JPG

Got the doors and hood done. I've masked off the doors so not to get too high a build of paint when I add the secondary colour, I'll do the second colour next week when the paint has cured cos if you put masking tape on fresh paint too soon the tack leaves marks which are a nightmare to polish out.

20201123_220902_LLS.JPG

Edited by doorsovdoon

Masked up the body ready for the secondary colour, I've decided to go with blue. I was tempted to go all black with red stripe and use the side pipes with red steels and no hubcaps but I'd already laid on the white, so blue it is. Masking up a body for two tone paint is not my favourite part, but they look so good when done.

20201201_195327_LLS.JPG

Second colour done today including the doors. I got some bleed-through around the headlights from where the masking tape lifted, also took some of the paint with it on the o/s wing! but nothing some patching and polishing won't fix. Unfortunately I dropped the body on the floor, marked the roof and broke the windscreen pillar! I've glued the pillar a few times now but it keeps splitting every time I pick it up. The glue is starting to damage it so I'll leave it for now and hopefully one more attempt when the glass is in will fix it for good.

20201203_004647_LLS.JPG

Sorry to hear about the damage as this is really looking great at this point. A thought on the Windshield Frame repair. Maybe a very thin strip of Brass on the inside the post out of sight. I would even think about leaving it longer so that it can be glued to the underside of both the body and the roof for additional support.  

1 minute ago, espo said:

Sorry to hear about the damage as this is really looking great at this point. A thought on the Windshield Frame repair. Maybe a very thin strip of Brass on the inside the post out of sight. I would even think about leaving it longer so that it can be glued to the underside of both the body and the roof for additional support.  

Yeah, it is annoying but looking on the bright side, at least the paint was semi dry when I dropped it. Thanks for the tip Dave, you give me an idea of what to use there. I have some old cassette tapes which have a thin piece of metal strip in them for the head sponge. Should do the job.

1 minute ago, doorsovdoon said:

Yeah, it is annoying but looking on the bright side, at least the paint was semi dry when I dropped it. Thanks for the tip Dave, you give me an idea of what to use there. I have some old cassette tapes which have a thin piece of metal strip in them for the head sponge. Should do the job.

Unless they are very ridged they may not be strong enough. I'm thinking of some of the materials that we can get at many hobby shops and craft type stores. I'm sure you have something along that order locally.  

Looking good mate, sorry about your mishap. The piece from the cassette sounds good as it is spring steel I think, very strong. These cars always look best in two tone schemes I think, especially in pastel shades like you've chosen. Paint looks very good mate, I can't hope to paint in my garage at this time of year. I have this kit from about 15 years ago and hope to build it one day! I don't know if the opening doors are a blessing or a curse.