Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1957 Ford Fairlane 500

doorsovdoon

1 hour ago, Lunajammer said:

Fascinating and frightening about the brush cleaner and lenses. Was your cleaner something like acetone or lacquer thinner? What would be so hot as to dissolve plastic with a touch?

It's just white spirit, though it does have over 50% VOC in it. Maybe there was a chemical reaction to the glue residue.

On 12/17/2020 at 5:19 PM, doorsovdoon said:

Cheers, William. I was tempted a couple times to glue the doors shut but I pushed through, 

Aside from my pink and white, I restored two old customs. Doors work on one, glued shut on the other because they were already broken off.  I do have that old custom with the Continental wagon roof on the bench, and that one will be glued shut.

On 12/20/2020 at 1:44 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Aside from my pink and white, I restored two old customs. Doors work on one, glued shut on the other because they were already broken off.  I do have that old custom with the Continental wagon roof on the bench, and that one will be glued shut.

Still looking forward to seeing that one done, she's coming along from what I'v seen so far.

On 12/17/2020 at 10:47 PM, Rockford said:

Stunning!

Thanks, Stephen.

On 12/17/2020 at 11:12 PM, Gary Davis said:

Man...that really looks good Gareth! For what you went through,  you still hung in there and completed this cool looking 57.  GREAT JOB...

Thanks, Gary.

On 12/20/2020 at 3:58 PM, ewetwo said:

Beautiful!

Cheers, David.

On 12/20/2020 at 8:19 PM, oldrevellfan said:

Awesome !!

Thanks, Gilles.

16 hours ago, Del Austin said:

Great job on a difficult kit. I have a few of these and all of them are badly warped.

Good luck, man. It was bad enough with ill fitting doors, although not that bad it was still a bit of a headache. I couldn't deal with warped parts on top too!

5 hours ago, Biggu said:

Wow, NICE job, looks every bit a '57 !

Thanks, Jeff.