Model Cars Magazine Forum

Good job, turned out much nicer than I thought it would!

In Germany we call them bonanza bikes, although "Bonanza" was just one of the brands which sold those types of bikes. They disapperead rather quickly with the BMX hype.

Edited by mattg

6 hours ago, peteski said:

Looks good Mike!  I love all the chrome on it.  Were those seats called "banana seat"?

The brakes look interesting.  Were those similar to automotive, or vintage motorcycle drum brakes?

Thanks Pete, Yes Banana seats and every kid had one. The brakes were pretty similar to motorcycle brakes. Mine was actually a coaster brake model.

Mike

3 hours ago, mattg said:

Good job, turned out much nicer than I thought it would!

In Germany we call them bonanza bikes, although "Bonanza" was just one of the brands which sold those types of bikes. They disapperead rather quickly with the BMX hype.

We had them here for a long time in the 60's and 70's.

Thanks , Mike

50 minutes ago, cobraman said:

I think it turned out great. The only thing I think they did wrong with the kit is the plastic tubing is too large.

I agree as well and I could have fixed that issue but my heart was just not in it.

Thanks Ray , Mike

57 minutes ago, Faust said:

Dude! 

There's nothing to be ashamed of there! It looks great! All the chrome and that nice blue... and the seat looks great too!

You should be proud - looks like a darned fine build from where I sit!

Thank You Adam, Mike

3 minutes ago, Cowpunk said:

The brake and shifter cables should be grey. If they were, it would be a substantial improvement. The seat color should match the frame but, It is still a GREAT JOB!

I know but that is life.

Thanks , Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Our boys had a version that IIRC was called a "swing bike". the bar between the seat and the handle bars swiveled left or right so you could pull the handle bars to either side a little bit while keeping the wheel straight. It was the only one in town thus very cool indeed.

1 hour ago, misterNNL said:

Our boys had a version that IIRC was called a "swing bike". the bar between the seat and the handle bars swiveled left or right so you could pull the handle bars to either side a little bit while keeping the wheel straight. It was the only one in town thus very cool indeed.

I have seen them but never when I was a kid.

Mike

swing bike.jpg

• 2 weeks later...