Model Cars Magazine Forum

Roth metal flake question

Hi Fantom,

I have used Roth Rattle Bombs a few times.  The paint lays down well and flashes out quickly. It seems to play nice with almost any primer ( I have used both Krylon and Rustoleum 2x white and black without issues). As for clear coat, also no issues with a variety of products (Testors wetlook, Rustoleum Crystal Clear, and Krylon).  As for Flake size/scale, it depends on which of the product lines you are looking at. The basecoats have small particles that look in-scale-enough to my eye.  The Flake products have much larger particles that are out of scale unless you are looking to do a 60-70's style dune buggy type thing. The Pearl products have really tiny particles, again look in-scale-enough to me.  On thing on the Pearls is that some of them are quite subtle (don't remember which on exactly, but at least one of the Purples).  It was barely visible on anything but white basecoat without really piling on the coats.  The All-in One Bombs are very dramatic with all kinds of particles in all kinds of sizes.  A very dramatic look.  I found these quite fun as the you can get very cool effects and varying appearances by changing the color of the base coat and how heavy you lay on the Bomb. The final look is definitely not "stock" but cool looking for customs, low-riders, 1/12 bikes, and wild show cars.

I would use them more if cheaper, but like the products.

Hope this is helpful

Theo

5 hours ago, Theo said:

Hi Fantom,

I have used Roth Rattle Bombs a few times.  The paint lays down well and flashes out quickly. It seems to play nice with almost any primer ( I have used both Krylon and Rustoleum 2x white and black without issues). As for clear coat, also no issues with a variety of products (Testors wetlook, Rustoleum Crystal Clear, and Krylon).  As for Flake size/scale, it depends on which of the product lines you are looking at. The basecoats have small particles that look in-scale-enough to my eye.  The Flake products have much larger particles that are out of scale unless you are looking to do a 60-70's style dune buggy type thing. The Pearl products have really tiny particles, again look in-scale-enough to me.  On thing on the Pearls is that some of them are quite subtle (don't remember which on exactly, but at least one of the Purples).  It was barely visible on anything but white basecoat without really piling on the coats.  The All-in One Bombs are very dramatic with all kinds of particles in all kinds of sizes.  A very dramatic look.  I found these quite fun as the you can get very cool effects and varying appearances by changing the color of the base coat and how heavy you lay on the Bomb. The final look is definitely not "stock" but cool looking for customs, low-riders, 1/12 bikes, and wild show cars.

I would use them more if cheaper, but like the products.

Hope this is helpful

Theo

Thanks...that’s what I wanted hear...I’m interested in the flake for a large scale project