Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mel Burns 1963 FORD 300 427

Brutalform

Thanks Ron

Yes, I have a resin hood I plan on using. It will need the thick spots on the underside sanded down a bit, but it should work fine.  

A little CA glue on the insides of the posts firmed it all up. Will try to get it in primer later on if the weather agrees. 

B74566FE-05D6-4B74-9F0D-98A8E04B68EC.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice recovery Tom on the body replacement. I love these early sixties SS’ers so you’ve got my attention.

I wanted to do a Mel Burns lightweight 62 Galaxie SS (I grew up in Long Beach) but the SMC decals I ordered were really poor quality (they use fuzzy rastor graphic files vs crisp vector graphics?), hoping yours are better. I ended up building the Jerry Alderman sponsored A/FX car because it only needed monochrome dark blue decals which I was able to print at home. It was my first resin body project (also using the excellent AMT Starliner donor kit) and a “learning experience” for me (not sure I’ll go there again unless it’s a really special subject).

Looks great so far! - Looking forward to watching your build!

Thanks for the positive vibes everyone. I applied putty on the body today to cover up the little scratches and gouges I made removing the trim. Tomorrow it should be dry, and I can start sanding. Hopefully after that, I will hopefully have a nice, smooth, primed body. 

On 8/21/2021 at 10:51 PM, papajohn97 said:

Nice recovery Tom on the body replacement. I love these early sixties SS’ers so you’ve got my attention.

I wanted to do a Mel Burns lightweight 62 Galaxie SS (I grew up in Long Beach) but the SMC decals I ordered were really poor quality (they use fuzzy rastor graphic files vs crisp vector graphics?), hoping yours are better. I ended up building the Jerry Alderman sponsored A/FX car because it only needed monochrome dark blue decals which I was able to print at home. It was my first resin body project (also using the excellent AMT Starliner donor kit) and a “learning experience” for me (not sure I’ll go there again unless it’s a really special subject).

Looks great so far! - Looking forward to watching your build!

Did you buy your decals from (Bruce) SMP Decals? That where I bought mine for this build. I only had one problem with one decal, and I have bought a lot of decals from him, but, the decal lifted off a model after it was applied for a while. And he promptly sent me a replacement. 

I really like that build of Dyno Dons car you recently built. I built that car a while ago, and it shows. I’d like to rebuild it, now that I have a little more skill in the hobby. I built the Hubert Platt TBolt a long time ago, right when I got back into the hobby since I was a kid, and recently rebuilt it again. Big difference… lol 

Here are the decals from SMP. 
Also the body after some putty work and sanding and primer. Just a couple more little spots I’ll have to go over that I missed, and it should be good. 
Pics are pretty hard to find but If anyone would be kind enough to provide any additional pics of this car? I would really appreciate it. Someone on the boards posted an under hood pic from a car show a couple years ago. This would be a big help. 

DA25E943-1D24-4FD5-B1E1-994BD1F0A50F.jpeg

Edited by Brutalform

Hey Tom, here’s a photo of the Mel Burns SMP decals I bought earlier this year:

80ED5A19-CA9A-4BE0-89E0-6F7B0C18474A.thumb.jpeg.38c2b6211015f2d7cdd076e8e40c7fbf.jpeg

As you can see they are nowhere near as nice as yours. I think I was another of one of those suckers who bought my set off a vendor on eBay (teresawulf) and not the SMP website, I suspect they were bootlegged. I’ve learned since that there is a number of folks copying and printing other’s decals (and resin parts) and selling them on eBay. 
The only pics I have of this car you probably already have: 3780ECFE-0C01-4197-B363-C19EE4D07B7A.jpeg.d70bb8917c221edea3370334eadfd533.jpeg

9F855E74-DD28-4DA1-8F00-2FC2CFA24E02.jpeg.b8a5ba9330b7c200999407f9f770c425.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, papajohn97 said:

Hey Tom, here’s a photo of the Mel Burns SMP decals I bought earlier this year:

80ED5A19-CA9A-4BE0-89E0-6F7B0C18474A.thumb.jpeg.38c2b6211015f2d7cdd076e8e40c7fbf.jpeg

As you can see they are nowhere near as nice as yours. I think I was another of one of those suckers who bought my set off a vendor on eBay (teresawulf) and not the SMP website, I suspect they were bootlegged. I’ve learned since that there is a number of folks copying and printing other’s decals (and resin parts) and selling them on eBay. 
The only pics I have of this car you probably already have: 3780ECFE-0C01-4197-B363-C19EE4D07B7A.jpeg.d70bb8917c221edea3370334eadfd533.jpeg

9F855E74-DD28-4DA1-8F00-2FC2CFA24E02.jpeg.b8a5ba9330b7c200999407f9f770c425.jpeg

Yes. That looks like one of his ripoff jobs. That Teresawulf is a scumbag, degenerate, puke. He steals everything he can. He’s the number one reason Jack Smith and others stopped selling their things on eBay. I’d still get my money back for them just on pure principle. He won’t answer your complaints I’m sure, but ebay will definitely refund your money. 

48 minutes ago, Sledsel said:

This build is looking great. I have a similar build going with a resin sedan I got from Ed Jr. at Drag City.

Personally I would ditch that resin hood and used a kit hood with the 66 Galaxie bubble grafted to it.

Thanks. I was recently looking for that casting. When I last spoke to Ed last year, he said he no longer has the mold for that body. I wish I was able to buy two of them when they still were around. I posted on the “Wanted” section, and someone had one but wasn’t willing to part with it. 

Gonna play with the hood I have, but going with a styrene hood still isn’t out of the question. 

3 hours ago, Sledsel said:

LOL.... Yea, I recall that now.

Well if you go styrene, I have a stash of 66 Galaxie hoods

Thanks for the offer. This resin hood does sit pretty flush, being that the promo body fenders and old hood were a bit thick. There is a slight warp to it that I’m sure a little hot water will fix. 

28B17F2B-84DD-4429-A5A0-A634AD021501.jpeg

• Like 1