Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dealer List is now Available

Not surprised that my LHS isn't on the list. I am pretty sure that the folks that run it can't read. Or won't read.

Checked a couple of other places on the list thinking I would try to get it online with a couple of other items I need, but the two of the three places I checked either had no working website or have been closed for over a year.

I will keep checking back with the other one until I see it in stock.

2 hours ago, Rodent said:

Checked a couple of other places on the list thinking I would try to get it online with a couple of other items I need, but the two of the three places I checked either had no working website or have been closed for over a year.

Sorry to hear that.  Any hobby shop closing is sad news for all of us.

Please let us know if any shop on our list is no longer in business.  We appreciate it.

Best regards,

Good to hear that MCM is back under new leadership. I read the dealer list. But nothing is listed for the UK.

I have asked in an earlier thread if MCM  will be distributed in the UK but the question unfortunately remains unanswered. We have a nationwide retailer named WHSmith newsagents and stationers who carry many different magazines. I would imagine that they are a UK equivalent to your Barnes and Noble chain.

Edited by Bugatti Fan
Typo

3 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Good to hear that MCM is back under new leadership. I read the dealer list. But nothing is listed for the UK.

I have asked in an earlier thread if MCM  will be distributed in the UK but the question unfortunately remains unanswered. We have a nationwide retailer named WHSmith newsagents and stationed who carry many different magazines. I would imagine that they are a UK equivalent to your Barnes and Noble chain.

MCM wasn't distributed in the UK before, so it's no surprise that no dealers are listed, it's really up to W.H Smiths if the want to carry a product, best thing is to email them to see if there interested in carrying it

customer.relations@whsmith.co.uk

9 hours ago, larrygre said:

Sorry to hear that.  Any hobby shop closing is sad news for all of us.

Please let us know if any shop on our list is no longer in business.  We appreciate it.

Best regards,

Hobby Company of San Francisco closed in 2019 for "seismic retrofit" and appears to have never reopened. Maybe one of our forum members closer to the Bay Area has different information.

I inadvertently left off the Canadian and Australian sellers. Sorry, no places in the UK yet. But if you have a hobby shop who might like to carry it, ask them to contact us. 

BERG'S HOBBIES PO BOX 527   PARRAMATTA NSW 2124 AUSTRALIA    
DAILEY HOBBIES 9 Carlow Court   WHITBY ON L1N-8T7 CANADA    
HOBBY CENTRE 6-33 ROYDON PL   OTTAWA ON K2E 1A3 CANADA    
HOBBY HOUSE LTD 80 MONTREAL RD   VANIER ON K1L 6E7 CANADA    
WHEELS & WINGS HOBBIES 1880 DANFORTH AVE   TORONTO ON M4C 1J4 CANADA    

Dan, unfortunately, all the Canadian dealers are in Ontario. The people at Wings and Wheels are first class and might well send you a copy. 

Dumb question, probably...what's the best link to click to just buy this copy online from SOMEONE (don't really mind who).

My wife wants to get me a subscription for Christmas, but in the meantime I'd like to pick up 207...I clicked through all the local hobby stores to see if I could just click and order it but none had it listed...a lead from anyone on where has a listing for it online would be much appreciated!

No complaints, I know you guys are just getting rolling again here - I just didn't want to click through every single hobby store in the country to try and find an order link, or have to call round a bunch of places :)

6 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

I inadvertently left off the Canadian and Australian sellers. Sorry, no places in the UK yet. But if you have a hobby shop who might like to carry it, ask them to contact us. 

BERG'S HOBBIES PO BOX 527   PARRAMATTA NSW 2124 AUSTRALIA    
DAILEY HOBBIES 9 Carlow Court   WHITBY ON L1N-8T7 CANADA    
HOBBY CENTRE 6-33 ROYDON PL   OTTAWA ON K2E 1A3 CANADA    
HOBBY HOUSE LTD 80 MONTREAL RD   VANIER ON K1L 6E7 CANADA    
WHEELS & WINGS HOBBIES 1880 DANFORTH AVE   TORONTO ON M4C 1J4 CANADA    

Dan, unfortunately, all the Canadian dealers are in Ontario. The people at Wings and Wheels are first class and might well send you a copy. 

Thanks Dave!

I have actually bought a lot of stuff from Ivan and his team there!

Just now, iamsuperdan said:

Thanks Dave!

I have actually bought a lot of stuff from Ivan and his team there!

I have too. They were my go to hobby shop when I was in Toronto. Great shop, and I loved that they had a pot of coffee on along with a box of cookies every Saturday. That’s something I think more of them should do. 

Dave, thanks for the feedback about MCM regarding the UK. Local hobby shops are getting to be as rare as hens teeth over here. I guess it is the same in the US. 

Maybe MCM should approach WHSmith who are a large UK  multi store newsagents, bookseller and stationery I guess similar to your Barnes and Noble chain who have outlets in just about every town and city.

8 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Dave, thanks for the feedback about MCM regarding the UK. Local hobby shops are getting to be as rare as hens teeth over here. I guess it is the same in the US. 

Maybe MCM should approach WHSmith who are a large UK  multi store newsagents, bookseller and stationery I guess similar to your Barnes and Noble chain who have outlets in just about every town and city.

Distribution will be an ongoing challenge for us. It's a very niche, perhaps even hyperniche publication, and the distributors want to sell gazillions of whatever they're carrying. Getting them to carry something of limited interest is always an uphill battle. It leads me to wonder if that wasn't part of the reason SA folded shop. But, we will inquire. 

If you want the magazine on a regular basis and you're in Europe, I recommend subscribing. 

Danno,   Kalmbach is a long established commercial publishing company. They probably had sound reasons for axing Scale Auto,  because circulation in all probability was dropping including the advertising revenue within that magazine, and because they have Fine Scale Modeler that has a wider circulation, more advertising revenue ( that can now also pull in the SA advertisers ) and also being a general interest modelling magazine they can run auto related articles within it. I do not think that being ' fussy old women' is any reflection on the decision they made, just a cold commercial decision based on the profitability of SA as a stand alone magazine. I will miss it along with many others who were regular readers, but that is the hard reality of running commercial publications in this day and age where there is so much on line information available. Personally, I like a proper magazine, but have to be pragmatic as to the way in which things are going!

Edited by Bugatti Fan

Needed some Tamiya paint this afternoon, so I headed to the LHS. Magically, one of the employees acknowledged me and engaged me in conversation. I told him that I had what I needed, but asked if he knew that MCM was alive again and if they would be carrying it. Nope. He told me that they used to carry all the magazines (lie, unless he was talking about 18 or more years ago) and they didn't sell. They would order a minimum six copies and they wouldn't  sell any of them (lie?). Many years ago I would see some RC mags in the very back of their old location. Nobody would see them unless they were using the restroom. Never saw MCM or SA(E) in this store ever.

On 11/25/2020 at 7:37 PM, Rodent said:

Needed some Tamiya paint this afternoon, so I headed to the LHS. Magically, one of the employees acknowledged me and engaged me in conversation. I told him that I had what I needed, but asked if he knew that MCM was alive again and if they would be carrying it. Nope. He told me that they used to carry all the magazines (lie, unless he was talking about 18 or more years ago) and they didn't sell. They would order a minimum six copies and they wouldn't  sell any of them (lie?). Many years ago I would see some RC mags in the very back of their old location. Nobody would see them unless they were using the restroom. Never saw MCM or SA(E) in this store ever.

I have a copy coming in the mail from a "not so L" HS in SoCal that I get stuff from once in a while. Looking forward to seeing it.