Model Cars Magazine Forum

A couple fresh shots of the '57...

Love it. I like the way you modified the grill bar without the emblem. I don't think I have ever seen that done that way before. The front bumper without the "Dagmars"  looks a lot cleaner also. These two mods clean up how the front end looks. 

Thanks guys! To make a long story short, this was my dad's car. He has had it since '75 or so and was building it in his spare time when I was a kid. He made that grill bar from scratch and it is all stainless steel. The bumper is aftermarket. He finished it around 2000-2001 having done every single thing himself including paint. After that he didn't drive it very much and more recently it sat in the garage and got dusty. Early last year he had mentioned he might sell it which I wasn't thrilled with as I thought one day I'd end up with it. My wife and I were moving right around that same time and had a good bit of extra funds from the sale of the one house. I offered to buy the car from him but a couple days later he said hey, come get it, its yours!

Since getting it from him I have changed a lot. It was always kinda low, but I lowered it more with dropped spindles (with a narrow track disc brake setup) and a rear spring pocket kit. The car was also already mini tubbed with 10" rear wheels but they were a custom offset with some factory width 9" rear end he had used. I narrowed the rear end to fit the deep dish Halibrand knock-offs from Real Rodders and upgraded to bigger bearing ends and a new set of drum brakes. I bet you'll be surprised to know the car has a 455 Pontiac engine and M22 4-speed. Dad has always been a Pontiac guy and sold a '67 GTO to fund building the car and that is when the decision was made to go with a Pontiac drivetrain instead of the small block chevy it once had. I added a Holley Sniper EFI and ignition system to the car, built a new full exhaust for it, changed some other stuff like replacing the bucket seats with a bench, putting a '57 150 steering wheel on it, completely rewiring the car, and a few other small details. It's one of my favorite cars I've ever had and one of only two that I will never sell.

Here's a shot after I first got it back on the road, before the new wheels and lowered stance.

IMG_7890.JPG

Edited by Quiet Eric

4 hours ago, Quiet Eric said:

Thanks guys! To make a long story short, this was my dad's car. He has had it since '75 or so and was building it in his spare time when I was a kid. He made that grill bar from scratch and it is all stainless steel. The bumper is aftermarket. He finished it around 2000-2001 having done every single thing himself including paint. After that he didn't drive it very much and more recently it sat in the garage and got dusty. Early last year he had mentioned he might sell it which I wasn't thrilled with as I thought one day I'd end up with it. My wife and I were moving right around that same time and had a good bit of extra funds from the sale of the one house. I offered to buy the car from him but a couple days later he said hey, come get it, its yours!

Since getting it from him I have changed a lot. It was always kinda low, but I lowered it more with dropped spindles (with a narrow track disc brake setup) and a rear spring pocket kit. The car was also already mini tubbed with 10" rear wheels but they were a custom offset with some factory width 9" rear end he had used. I narrowed the rear end to fit the deep dish Halibrand knock-offs from Real Rodders and upgraded to bigger bearing ends and a new set of drum brakes. I bet you'll be surprised to know the car has a 455 Pontiac engine and M22 4-speed. Dad has always been a Pontiac guy and sold a '67 GTO to fund building the car and that is when the decision was made to go with a Pontiac drivetrain instead of the small block chevy it once had. I added a Holley Sniper EFI and ignition system to the car, built a new full exhaust for it, changed some other stuff like replacing the bucket seats with a bench, putting a '57 150 steering wheel on it, completely rewiring the car, and a few other small details. It's one of my favorite cars I've ever had and one of only two that I will never sell.

Here's a shot after I first got it back on the road, before the new wheels and lowered stance.

IMG_7890.JPG

I like the "Whisky hauler look". Sort of "Walk softly and carry a big stick" to quote a past President.    

Thanks guys!

A lot of folks liked the before look and I like a good steel wheel and dog dish cap too....I might have stayed that route except those wheels were Chevy rally wheels with the 5 holes and I'm not a fan of them. If they were regular steel wheels with the 4 small slots around the center then it would be a different story. I really like "mag" wheels better to be honest though.

Here you go Mike

IMG_1050[1].JPG