Model Cars Magazine Forum

'Blue Bird' 1935 1:18 scale

'BLUE BIRD'

Following on from my Mercedes T-80 I am scratch building Sir Malcolm Campbell's  1935 'Blue Bird' as it broke the Land Speed Record in 1935. Like the T-80 this project is 3D printed . You can see exactly how these and other models are made on my YouTube channel here https://www.youtube.com/c/StaplesandVine

50627577638_e8a5ff67a1_k.jpg

50628422687_89c197d39f_k.jpg

50628326386_9a81704ae1_k.jpg

50628325671_d59a1abaa3_k.jpg

Tanks for watching and I hope you enjoy this, and my other projects.

• 4 months later...

Project Blue Bird is now finished and I am eyeing up my next Land Speed Record holder. You can see more on this build on my YouTube channel here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyoUUsH1Mg_ksQgmkldaaDQ  

51091941938_50d3328300_h.jpg

51091942358_dcfc8663ef_h.jpg

51091942133_b69dfe8101_h.jpg

51091402186_960183302d_h.jpg

Blue Bird is about 18 inches long and as you will see from the videos on my channel it has been a journey not without problems. Ultimately I plan to make a series of the great Land Speed cars for my personal collection.

All the best

FURBALL

9 hours ago, Bainford said:

Oh man, that’s cool! Beautiful job. The Bluebird is an impressive piece, and your replica brings that feeling to life. Looking forward to seeing your other land speed racing projects. 

Thanks Trevor,  It looks great next to my 1:18 T80. I'm not sure which LSR car to do next. I do have a few ideas from that golden era but as yet undecided. Sera

Hi Sera, my choice purely on style is the Napier Golden Arrow.  I have Profile 24's version and can't wait to build it.  Another good candidate that has only been done in 1/43rd is the Spirit of America Sonic one.  Wonderful streamlining and lots of reference photos. I expect you would even have access to the Golden Arrow though it appears that they have mucked about with the restoration at the National Museum.

Golden Arrow.jpg

Spirit of America Sonic 1.jpg

6 hours ago, Big John said:

Hi Sera, my choice purely on style is the Napier Golden Arrow.  I have Profile 24's version and can't wait to build it.  Another good candidate that has only been done in 1/43rd is the Spirit of America Sonic one.  Wonderful streamlining and lots of reference photos. I expect you would even have access to the Golden Arrow though it appears that they have mucked about with the restoration at the National Museum.

Hi John,

Good call on the 'Golden Arrow' and 'Spirit of America Sonic I'. They are definitely on my radar. I am currently gathering as much info as I can on a number of subjects and the one with the most will win! Others for the list are 'Goldenrod', 'Bluebird CN7', 'Sunbeam slug', 'Spirit of America', 'Thunderbolt' and the 'Cobb Railton Special'.

All the best

Sera

3 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Sir!

Great project, and very informative. It appears we are only scratching the surface that 3D printing offers for our hobby. Besides, there can never be too many LSR models!

Long live the salt!

CT 

Fantasy chair of the Flat Earth Society   LOL 

Hi CT

thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. The future is 3D printed - any subject any scale. It just takes a lot of hand finishing to get things looking right.

Sera

Wow - the future of modelling has arrived! Great work & an interesting niche.

For me the Bluebird CN7 is the image that springs to mind when I think LSR, but perhaps only because being taken to see it at Beaulieu is among my earliest memories. Thrust 2 was the first active contender I was aware of. I suspect it wins the closest resemblance to a Star Wars prop award! I like how looks exactly like what it is: a jet engine strapped to a trolley!😄

Thrust-2-desert.jpg.f3bdaf511937db303f3bc3d4eef631c8.jpg

7 hours ago, Big John said:

Thanks Sera, I was also going to suggest the Thrust SSC which isn't really that complex however in 1/18 scale it tops 36"/91.44cm.  Even in 1/24th (my preferred scale) it runs 27"!

Thrust SSC Plans 1sml.jpg

Thrust SSC is a real beast, I absolutely love it! With 3D printing it is quite possible in 1:18. All of the LSR cars are printed in sections. SSC would just take more parts. Thanks for posting the plans John,  definitely food for thought. :)

7 hours ago, Pete75 said:

Wow - the future of modelling has arrived! Great work & an interesting niche.

For me the Bluebird CN7 is the image that springs to mind when I think LSR, but perhaps only because being taken to see it at Beaulieu is among my earliest memories. Thrust 2 was the first active contender I was aware of. I suspect it wins the closest resemblance to a Star Wars prop award! I like how looks exactly like what it is: a jet engine strapped to a trolley!😄

Thrust-2-desert.jpg.f3bdaf511937db303f3bc3d4eef631c8.jpg

Great post Pete. Thrust 2 is a good call. Totally sums up British eccentricity. I'm only put off by the decal nightmare. - maybe one day. CN7 on the other hand...:)

3 hours ago, Big John said:

Fernando of FFP (crazycar19) has offered both 1/24th models of the 1933 Bluebird and Bluebird CN7 as well as the Thrust 2 from time to time on ebay.  both bluebirds are listed at this time.  He does nice work.

Thanks John I'll check him out. 

9 hours ago, Shardik said:

You've gotten several very good recommendations for a next build, but for pure sex-appeal, I'd love to see the infamous Red Head in scale.

Wow 'Red Head' sure is a good looker! Possibly a good subject when I have exhausted the ultimate record holders. Thanks Johann :)

There are two cars that have been referred to by that name I love them both, so sensual.  BTW, I have a larger size layout for the SSC, none are what you would call high resolution but usable as a rough template.

Beast-Peter-Harholdt 3-1.jpg

Redhead Streamliner  04.jpg

RedHead Engine 1.jpg

Edited by Big John
More info