Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 Ford Cosworth DFV engine

Hello everyone,

finally found some time to start another one of my big-scale scratchbuilt engines. And even better I remembered to take some WIP pics this time, so here are some parts of my DFV build.

I started with the Hewland gearbox because it's fun to do with all those nuts&bolts, and since this engine will be loosely based on the Lotus 72, there will be inboard brakes! That explains the brakediscs.

The valve cover was made by using the famous "bare-metal and wipe" method, worked like a charm, thanks to everybody who described it here on the forum!

DSC_0568.jpg

DSC_0570.jpg

DSC_0572.jpg

DSC_0574.jpg

DSC_0564.jpg

DSC_0567.jpg

@John: I used Bare Metal Foil on the emblems first, painted over it, and removed the paint on the raised parts of the emblems again. That method has been described several times on this forum, and it works great.

Now for some more WIP: completed the brakes and mounted everything on the Hewland. One  caliper is made up of 16 parts now. Guess inboard brakes have a lot of problems and are rarely used, but they look great. It's that kind of sexy machinery that motivates my builds. Now on to the main engine...

DSC_0578.jpg

DSC_0591.jpg

DSC_0587.jpg

DSC_0588.jpg

DSC_0590.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wow, couldn’t look more real! How are you getting the raw brushed surfaces look?

BTW, I have one of your 1/24 GT40 MarkII engines on the way...Got it from Randy at Modelbuilders. I want to make a stand for it and display it next to my Le Mans GT40?

• 5 months later...

Hello James,

technically it wouldn't be aproblem to do a 1/6 version, but it's a lot of work. Would you be interested in both the engine and the gearbox? Are you an experienced builder so that you could build it yourself if I provide the basic parts?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...