Model Cars Magazine Forum

Couple of squarebody questions

I'm shortly going to be building a revell squarebody stepside in something of a squarebody syndicate style. I'd like to do it in stockish two tone paint but I'm struggling to find what they did stock on the rear fenders and bed sides as all my searches bring up mostly custom painted versions. I'm using the recent revell 76 4x4 kit. I'm also curious if any of the other kit versions came with 2 bucket seats in place of the bench in this kit, or had detailed door panels as the kit i have is just flat panels with no detail whatsoever. Also are the fuel tanks different on the 2wd trucks? on a quick mock up of the chassis and body I found they hang below the body line so would putting them behind the seat like on the earlier trucks be semi realistic? My aim is to have something that has a near stock body and paint but is slammed to the ground with plenty of mods underneath the skin. I'm no very up on American vehicles so any help would be greatfully received.

I don't believe that squarebody stepsides were available in two-tone, other than having the roof painted a different color from the body. I have found a few sales brochures online and they seem to agree that two-tone was a Fleetside option. The colors were separated by a molding, and I don't know how they would have done that with the stepside fenders. I also believe that bucket seats went away in 73 (first squarebody) which is the year they went to the sidesaddle tanks that they eventually caught a bunch of grief over.

https://paintref.com/cgi-bin/brochuredisplay.cgi?year=1976&manuf=GM&model=Chevy Truck&smod=Pickups&page=11&scan=45

Edited by Rodent

20 minutes ago, Rodent said:

I don't believe that squarebody stepsides were available in two-tone, other than having the roof painted a different color from the body. I have found a few sales brochures online and they seem to agree that two-tone was a Fleetside option. The colors were separated by a molding, and I don't know how they would have done that with the stepside fenders. I also believe that bucket seats went away in 73 (first squarebody) which is the year they went to the sidesaddle tanks that they eventually caught a bunch of grief over.

https://paintref.com/cgi-bin/brochuredisplay.cgi?year=1976&manuf=GM&model=Chevy Truck&smod=Pickups&page=11&scan=45

Thankyou sir, I'll try something with one of the multi colour stripe options instead

As Rodent pointed out the step-side truck bodies with a two tone paint was with the roof only painted a different color from the factory. Dealers were free to do something special if the customer requested. The factory did offer a few striping options starting around the '76 model year and this was done in white with striping on the hood, front fenders and doors, with additional striping on the flat surface of the rear fenders. This was an option on the midline Scottsdale model. The Scottsdale included the Silverado seats and bucket seats were an option but with rubber floor covering. Carpet was an extra cost option. The instrument cluster face was done in black plastic like the basic Custom model. The Silverado and the earlier Chayanne Super were the only ones with the simulated wood grain dash finish. The fuel tank and the optional duel tanks were mounted out board of the frame rails and did hang low enough that they could be partially seen from some angles. As for lowering the suspension this was normally done with replacement spindles that would usually give you at least two inches of drop. Many would add shorter front springs for an additional inch or two. The rear would either have longer shackles for an inch or two lowering in the rear. To make it any lower required , and kits to do this are still available, mounting the rear differential on top of the rear springs instead of the factory mounting below the springs. This would require what was called a "C notch" in the frame for clearance for the differential. I wish I had pictures of a few of the trucks I had owned from that era to show you what it would look like but I think if you went into Google and request pictures of the era of truck you're wanting to build you would have many examples to look at.   

3 minutes ago, espo said:

As Rodent pointed out the step-side truck bodies with a two tone paint was with the roof only painted a different color from the factory. Dealers were free to do something special if the customer requested. The factory did offer a few striping options starting around the '76 model year and this was done in white with striping on the hood, front fenders and doors, with additional striping on the flat surface of the rear fenders. This was an option on the midline Scottsdale model. The Scottsdale included the Silverado seats and bucket seats were an option but with rubber floor covering. Carpet was an extra cost option. The instrument cluster face was done in black plastic like the basic Custom model. The Silverado and the earlier Chayanne Super were the only ones with the simulated wood grain dash finish. The fuel tank and the optional duel tanks were mounted out board of the frame rails and did hang low enough that they could be partially seen from some angles. As for lowering the suspension this was normally done with replacement spindles that would usually give you at least two inches of drop. Many would add shorter front springs for an additional inch or two. The rear would either have longer shackles for an inch or two lowering in the rear. To make it any lower required , and kits to do this are still available, mounting the rear differential on top of the rear springs instead of the factory mounting below the springs. This would require what was called a "C notch" in the frame for clearance for the differential. I wish I had pictures of a few of the trucks I had owned from that era to show you what it would look like but I think if you went into Google and request pictures of the era of truck you're wanting to build you would have many examples to look at.   

Thankyou sir, some good info there.

4 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I'm shortly going to be building a revell squarebody stepside in something of a squarebody syndicate style. I'd like to do it in stockish two tone paint but I'm struggling to find what they did stock on the rear fenders and bed sides as all my searches bring up mostly custom painted versions. I'm using the recent revell 76 4x4 kit. I'm also curious if any of the other kit versions came with 2 bucket seats in place of the bench in this kit, or had detailed door panels as the kit i have is just flat panels with no detail whatsoever. Also are the fuel tanks different on the 2wd trucks? on a quick mock up of the chassis and body I found they hang below the body line so would putting them behind the seat like on the earlier trucks be semi realistic? My aim is to have something that has a near stock body and paint but is slammed to the ground with plenty of mods underneath the skin. I'm no very up on American vehicles so any help would be greatfully received.

1976 and 1977 and 1978 stepside brochures

3.jpg5.jpg1978 Chevrolet Pickup

Edited by Vietnam Vet67

8 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

I didn't know there was a version like that.

Those  were quite pricey on ebay, the other newer versions a little less so until the most recent reissue just came out. Some guys may have leftover unused stripe decal sheets if you need that exact color combo. They'd probably look good over white, or dark blue.

3 minutes ago, Russell C said:

Those  were quite pricey on ebay, the other newer versions a little less so until the most recent reissue just came out. Some guys may have leftover unused stripe decal sheets if you need that exact color combo. They'd probably look good over white, or dark blue.

I have the recent 76 sport kit which I'll be using for the build. I think I'll do a mix of those stripes and the 2 tone stepside in Vietnam Vet67's last post as between them I'm sure I can come up with something that looks almost stock but subtly custom. It shouldn't be too bad to do in paint either and would use up some of my cans that wouldn't do a full paint job

9 hours ago, Russell C said:

There's a guy on e-bay selling reproductions of those decals and the red/orange/yellow '79/'80 style strips on e-bay

https://www.ebay.com/sch/scalemodeldecals/m.html?item=124376558934&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

8 hours ago, Can-Con said:

There's a guy on e-bay selling reproductions of those decals and the red/orange/yellow '79/'80 style strips on e-bay

https://www.ebay.com/sch/scalemodeldecals/m.html?item=124376558934&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Thanks for that, if painting them doesn't go well its good to have a backup plan

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Looks like a two-tone to me

"Red and Snow White"

Yeah, we were expecting snow that weekend when I visited my friend in the Sierras for a long Thanksgiving weekend. Was in 4wd and the hubs were locked when I parked it. Four days later and 40+ inches of snow, I had to dig my way to the driver's door, get in and drive out of the bank to finish clearing it off enough to hit the highway. Yes, I know that people in North Dakota are laughing at this tiny bit of snow, but I had great fun riding my snowmobile that weekend.