Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT F350 restoration

Built it back in the mid 70s and was eventually going to get around to restoring it but the scenes Unlimited tires and rims came in so its going to be done sooner,I will get the tires tucked it better when I fix the suspension. I wish the original camper special rims were made since it could use some wider rims on the rear but these will do and thinking about putting the six from a Mobius kit in it,those tires are much better then what came with it.

20201121_143707.jpg

20201121_145148.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Seems an odd combination. An extended wheelbase F-350 Super Camper Special full of heavy duty components, with a six. I'm not slamming, because there is no reason a truck could not be ordered this way. Makes you wonder about the back story for this truck, why the original owner ordered it this way. Adds to the mystique!

• 2 weeks later...

A kid I went to high school with, his dad had a mint condition one ton camper special, I belive it was a '78 or 9. With that longer wheelbase to move the weight of the camper forward made it handle much better,  and moving the spare to the side of the bed with that door to access it was done, IIRC, for a larger auxiliary fuel tank. Those deep dish steel rims with the wider tires made it more stable, and don't forget that extendable rear bumper that would slide out to the end of the camper. A serious factory hauler for sure.