Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autoquiz 500

15 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Has to be a high performance vehicle! Check out that camber and toe in.  Looks like an F1 car!  Ferrari?  Yup it's definitely a post war Ferrari Gran Prix car!?

LOL!  Once couple people get in, the camber gets back to normal. Toe-in. well that's another story.  They are trying to wear in the tire tread. :D

The WSK Mirkus MR 500 from Poland was inspired by  on the Goggomobil TS250 from Hans Glas GmbH. The car was able to carry 2 adults and 2 children with a small amount of luggage. It cost the equally of 4 average salary of a polish worker during that time. For such a small car very expensive. Serial production started in 1958. After 1728 units including 17 cabriolet production ends in 1960.

The correct answer were sent in by 

GeeBee

blunc

matthijsgrit

stitchup

dw1603

Pete J.

sjordan2

Congratulation

The example Michael used has a very unusual fancy paint and trim.  Most Mikruses had a more pedestrian look.

Mikrus_MR-300_20170402_5732.jpg

Seeing it again brought back memories of a funny story.  Back in the '60s my mom worked as a draftswoman in an architectural firm housed in a large old building which had very wide staircases and hallways. One of the architects owned a Mikrus (average workers could not afford to own one). Several of his co-workers got together and carried his car to the 2nd floor, and placed it in the hallway right by his office.  They all had a good laugh, but he wasn't amused at first.

As far as the cost goes, I think Michael meant to state that Mikrus cost 4 annual average salaries.  Back in those days Polish salaries were really low, so most people could not afford even a micro-car.  My father had a small Polish motorcycle.  I'm pretty sure it was the SHL M11.

755px-SHL_M11.jpg

Edited by peteski

2 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Not really.  It just means you would get further from home when it breaks and you have to walk back!?

LOL!

That reminds me of sanother anecdote from my childhood.  My cousin and I were in the back seat of my uncle's Trabant, going on a holiday trip.  My aunt was in the car too.  The car was running rough (2-cylinder 2-stroke engine, but a bit larger than the one in Mikrus).  My uncle pulled over, opened the hood and poked around the engine.  He then borrow my aunt's nail file and used it to clean either the ignition points or the spark plug electrodes (I don't recall), We got back on the way and the car was running much better.  Ah, the good old days . . . :D

10 hours ago, peteski said:

LOL!

That reminds me of sanother anecdote from my childhood.  My cousin and I were in the back seat of my uncle's Trabant, going on a holiday trip.  My aunt was in the car too.  The car was running rough (2-cylinder 2-stroke engine, but a bit larger than the one in Mikrus).  My uncle pulled over, opened the hood and poked around the engine.  He then borrow my aunt's nail file and used it to clean either the ignition points or the spark plug electrodes (I don't recall), We got back on the way and the car was running much better.  Ah, the good old days . . . :D

On the other side of the planet we has similar fixes.  I remember an old Ford(I think it was a 54) running rough and Dad got out and rest the gap on the points with a matchbook cover.  Ran fine after that. Dad always has a rudimentary tool kit in every car he owned.  Hammer, slip jaw pliers and a screw driver.  I swear he could fix just about anything with those.  

Machinery was simpler and people were more mechanically inclined back then.  I have one memory of the school bus driver, out on a rural dirt road changing out a front wheel bearing.  That is when I learned to proper way to grease a bearing.  ?

On 12/1/2020 at 4:43 AM, peteski said:

While not always accurate or complete,  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PZL_Mielec  makes no mention of any Cobra bodies.

Kirkham Motorsports produced Cobra bodies and chassis in Mielec, Poland. I don’t know if they are still around, but it seems they were the best Cobra recreations available in the early 21st century.

This contemporary video shows the quality of their workmanship, beautiful

Edited by dw1603
Add link

On 12/1/2020 at 11:31 PM, El Roberto said:

I guess driving one would be better than walking, but by much. 

I worked in the service dept of a Honda dealer, I had a company car but would loan it to service customers (it reduced my tax liability) Occasionally it would stay out overnight, so I went to the Sales Manager and asked to borrow a car. He offered me something not very exciting, a Proton or something similar. “A Proton?” I riposted, “I’d rather walk!” ... “Fair enough” he replied, dropped the keys back in the box and locked it. I never did that again.