Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modelhaus ‘61 phantom Mercury “Merchero”

Hi all,  

This one was built several years ago. I was lucky enough to get a few Modelhaus kits just before they retired. Built as a quick build slammer, no interior or motor, I tend to do these between more detailed/kit bash projects. The kit body has the door handles shaved, and I built a hard cover for the bed and covered it with a Kevlar/Carbon fibre decal. It has Pegasus wheels, tires and disc brakes. My typical aluminum tubing exhaust tips, and of course it’s lowered.... yep, I like low!  The motor would have been a boss 429 with some sort of modern induction system, so use your imagination there. Colour is metallic root beer, I believe it was testors one coat lacquer, with wet look clear and a polish. The yellowish spot on the hood in one of the photos is a reflection of some sort, not the paint. 
7CFC749F-0918-48CD-9CAF-2305480DA022.thumb.jpeg.b60d19b16da7d9edaaf75d624900ccd1.jpeg

099058A6-5212-499B-B264-D412259FCB7C.thumb.jpeg.f1c5a6a133842abdd8d06056d08e22ce.jpeg

0C66E08E-7557-49DF-B181-AFA075707D6F.thumb.jpeg.8d054997f447490a31c7ac26e476380f.jpeg

251D0FA7-747F-4751-A388-5A378C3D0C15.thumb.jpeg.68e10062dda2f31f00fc63d32b3eaba8.jpeg

D00D5A8A-7F57-4899-8229-8A80D9FCB098.thumb.jpeg.7a695dde874fef17cca0f6441983d643.jpeg

Thanks for looking, and as always, all comments welcome.

Cheers, Steve

6DAC22FA-5EE5-4020-9396-2A9CA41EF867.jpeg

21 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Man thats cool, it reminds me of something from a goodguys show or sema

11 hours ago, espo said:

Looks great, I'd like to have a 1:1 of this. 

8 hours ago, cobraman said:

That is one slick looking model. Well done !

53 minutes ago, mchook said:

Wild, I like it a lot. Great job.

Thank you gents, I appreciate the kind words. David, I agree, I think they would have been a really cool 1/1 vehicle. 

Cheers, Steve

10 hours ago, thatz4u said:

Nice Merc, too bad you didn't build it full detail...

Hi Al, thank you sir! It was originally going to be full detail, (with a boss 429), but plans changed. It still looks good in the display case. 
Keep your eye on the WIP thread, my plan is to do a full detail kit bash of a 66 olds and a 68 el Camino....  

Hope to start that in a few weeks, right after the 75 Gremlin on my desk. 

Cheers, Steve

The Mercury looks very good Steve!   I love the color and your trademark stance (Loooooooow)!   Modelhaus was renowned for their unusual rare kits, it's sad they had to end production but all good things come to an end, so you have to appreciate them even more when you see one completed in such a beautiful way!   Tasteful!!! ?

7 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Steve!

Very nice. Fomoco should have done it.

I restored a 1/1 64 Marauder Breeze-away for a friend a few years ago, and I tried to convince him to transform it in the same way (see picture that I found on the web below). But to no avail. Stock resto carried the day. Oh well...

CT 

64 Mercury Ranchero a.jpg

What the heck!! Is that a real production car?! Definitely never seen one of those. Thanks for chiming in Claude, always great to hear from you sir.

Cheers, Steve

10 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

The Mercury looks very good Steve!   I love the color and your trademark stance (Loooooooow)!   Modelhaus was renowned for their unusual rare kits, it's sad they had to end production but all good things come to an end, so you have to appreciate them even more when you see one completed in such a beautiful way!   Tasteful!!! ?

Hello Francis! Always nice to hear from you sir. Yep, I like low!  I felt very lucky to purchase some Modelhaus kits prior to their retirement. Sill have a 61 Caddy, 65 impala wagon, and a 60 Olds 2dr HT to build. Hopefully someone will purchase the moulds and produce kits of the same quality. 
Thanks for the comments, stay safe and be well. 

Cheers, Steve

10 hours ago, Steve H said:

What the heck!! Is that a real production car?! Definitely never seen one of those. Thanks for chiming in Claude, always great to hear from you sir.

Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve!

This picture was found while browsing for ideas before I started the resto process for my friend.

If you look closely, it's simple: a 2-door body had the roof cut short and moved forward, including the roll-down rear window bulkhead section. The continuous trunk and rear seat area hence became the "box", and a tonneau cover was fabricated. Working on a real 1/1 car convinced me that it was a fairly simple conversion, even more so because the car has a very sturdy body on frame construction. But my friend chose otherwise. He even fancied side pipes, which was a no-no for me, but... at least, I was able to convince him to remove the Continental rear tire kit that came with the car.  

The car is seen below. 

Have a good week!

CT 

DSCF3475.JPG

5 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Oliver!

You are mistaken my friend... The root beer car is Steve's. But I'll route the compliment his way. He deserves it!

CT

Hi Claude, thanks for the re-route. In my dreams could one of my builds be mistaken for one of yours!

Thanks for sharing the photos of the 1/1 cars. Nice job on the red number, beautiful work.

Cheers, Steve

9 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Very nice, Claude! The stance is perfect and i really like the root beer paint!

Hi Oliver, thank you sir! First, (and likely last) time someone would confuse my work with the formidable Claude T. 
Thanks for looking and the kind words!

6 hours ago, Can-Con said:

That's just plain cool ! 

I think a lot of people will miss Modelhaus for a long time.

Hi Steve, yes, they are missed. I wish I had discovered them earlier, but still thankful to have three more to build. I’m sure you know this, but you can still get tires, and I believe some wheels as well from them. Thanks for the compliment, and for having a look.

Cheers, Steve

• 2 weeks later...