Model Cars Magazine Forum

Topolino Cobra

Phildaupho

2v2HnWa4qximYT.jpg2v2HnWanhximYT.jpg

I have wanted to build the Fiat Topolino from the AMT Double Dragster kit with fenders for a very long time. After recently seeing a few completed Fiat Altered model, I got the urge again, so I attached the rotary saw to my Dremel and got to work. Fenders from a Revell 37 Ford Truck had already been set aside so it was just a matter of getting them attached which was surprisingly straight forward. My original idea was to extend the hood for a longer wheelbase, but I decided to retain the compact dimensions. I always planned to power this creation with some sort of V-8 so I used the hood sides from the 37 Ford which have V-8 emblems. Once the fenders were attached the wheelbase and track were established so next on the agenda was to come up with a chassis. Many alternatives were considered but some how I got the brainwave to see how the dimensions compared with those of a 289 Cobra. As it turned out very closely. The complete Cobra chassis, running gear and interior fit with the removal of some material here and there. The firewall had to be recessed to accommodate the Weber equipped 289 V-8. I think the twin tip exhausts look very Italian.

2v2HnWaqCximYT.jpg2v2HnWaFLximYT.jpgI began to picture this car as a compact version of the pre-WWII Alfa Romeo Coupes, so I made a few other modifications. The nose was cut open so the grill could be mounted from underneath.  There was already an opening in the hood so rather than filling it: to keep with the sporty theme I attached the Cobra hood scoop. There was a square opening in the roof but to have a full sunroof I cut the roof out to below the rear window. The folded back sunroof is two layers of masking tape. Early Topolinos had suicide so I removed the forward door hinges. Tamiya TS-11 Maroon was chosen for the paint job as that seemed to be the most popular colour of Topolinos when new, usually with black fenders. Even the Walt’s Puffer Altered is maroon on the AMT Double Dragster re-issue tin box. The taillights are from the ’34 Ford Pickup.

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Different and imaginative, and therefore interesting! An interesting concept well executed. Model on! B)

50 minutes ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Cool "little mouse", with a snakes bite no less!

28 minutes ago, Modlbldr said:

What an outstandingly creative build. I love it! Nice work mating all of that together.

Later-

Thanks guys - here is the snake's bite !!

2v2HnWamVximYT.jpg

That works!  I purchased a resin version of your body about twenty or more years ago and built it curbside.  I seem to recall that the original builder used Anglia fenders, the front ones at least.  Interesting that the Cobra parts were so comfortable in your creation!

Cheers

Alan

3 hours ago, alan barton said:

That works!  I purchased a resin version of your body about twenty or more years ago and built it curbside.  I seem to recall that the original builder used Anglia fenders, the front ones at least.  Interesting that the Cobra parts were so comfortable in your creation!

Cheers

Alan

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Very cool! I love creative and unusual builds.  

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

Nice mix and match on the parts. This type of model is what i really enjoy. Good job !

Thanks guys. These photos will give you an idea of how the Cobra parts were incorporated.

2v2HnWaSCximYT.jpg2v2HnWaThximYT.jpg2v2HnWaDnximYT.jpg

14 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Nicely done . Great paint. Great execution. I've seen one that used the fenders from the revell 34 with the buttera chassis.

4 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Looks excellent with full fenders.

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

The first one I saw with fenders was done by the late Dave Dickash using 34 Ford fenders

Here’s a photo of it from 2001 Staten Island show

Thanks guys - The 34 fenders work very well with the FIAT body

• 2 months later...