Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Pontiac GTO NHRA B stock competitor

MarkJ

12 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Just me, I would have left it with the window frames.  Do you have a picture of the car you're copying??  Just curious.

Yes, Mike. But its a secret. Always save that for the big reveal at the end, but it definitely did not have the frames that I removed. The plastic was so thin that it only took a couple of passes with the exacto to remove them. I gave up the dremel tool a long time ago when i had to many slip ups that caused more work time repairing the damage I did, then actually just removing the plastic with a knife and sanding stick.

The engine in this kit was only half there. i bought this  kit a few years ago at a model contest in stafford texas. The plastic box covering was removed so I did a quick check and everything seemed to be there but the other day i did a closer inventory and the right engine half is missing and also the water pump. I will be scratch building those parts. Wont be perfect but after all the other parts are on the engine and installed in the chassis/ body it will be hard to notice the difference. Trying to get those parts would not be worth the effort ,even if it were possible.

12 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

That, sir, is ambitious! Most of us would have set the entire project aside, until we came up with the parts. Much respect, to you.

Thanks, Daniel . Its not going to be perfect but after i hang all the other engine parts that did come with the kit and get it painted it will be very hard to notice especially installed in the model.

11 hours ago, wrenchr said:

I have a built engine you can have. If you want it message me your address. :) 

Thanks for the offer , Jason. But i'm almost finished and I really want to see what I can come up with when its completed. I guess this is what you run into when buying old kits at a model car show. The kit was only ten bucks, so that was a plus.

16 minutes ago, Painted Black said:

Great job on that engine half, looking forward to the complete engine.

Thanks, Robert. Ive been waiting a few years to do this build and then go to do it and get this roadblock. Hopefully I can fake it good enough. I noticed from ref pictures that it has starter mounts for both sides of the bell housing. So I guess I need to show that on the right side even though there will be no starter there. The oil filter will be there though.

Exceptional progress on making what you're missing here. Very nice.

Unfortunately, these Pontiac engines are so wrong in many areas that I've done almost as much work to one just correcting things as you have manufacturing much of a new one.

Still, I'm sure it'll look great in your model...and you certainly deserve extra points for fabricating what you don't have.

14 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Exceptional progress on making what you're missing here. Very nice.

Unfortunately, these Pontiac engines are so wrong in many areas that I've done almost as much work to one just correcting things as you have manufacturing much of a new one.

Still, I'm sure it'll look great in your model...and you certainly deserve extra points for fabricating what you don't have.

Thanks, Bill. I guess i could have glued the hood shut but then what do you connect the exhaust to. I guess I could have just run the exhaust to an empty hole. And never looked under the model.