Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clear coat for decals and sharpie

I have an old model of the "Babylon 5" space station which is kinda heavy on decals and is autographed by several of the actors in sharpie and paint pen. If I remember correctly I also used a combo of paint types including krylon primer for main color and acrylic.

So, what can I use to coat/protect it with that won't destroy it and will stand the test of time? 

Thanks in advance.

Most solvent based clear lacquers will make Sharpie ink run. I would not trust anything other than Future (or whatever it is called now) to coat your model.

Why do you want to clear coat it?  Were the original decal clear coated? If it is grungy, dusty, the lacquer will just seal in the dirt. 

6 hours ago, peteski said:

Most solvent based clear lacquers will make Sharpie ink run. I would not trust anything other than Future (or whatever it is called now) to coat your model.

Why do you want to clear coat it?  Were the original decal clear coated? If it is grungy, dusty, the lacquer will just seal in the dirt. 

Original decals were never clear coated and it has been stored in a box for years so it is  lean.

I have seen non clear coated decals become brittle and flake off and sharpie fade away over time though not sure why. A case is not in my budget at this time so I was hoping to use something I already have to protect it.

18 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi James!

I made the jaggered line on this car with Sharpie over clear decal. Coated with Testor's Wet Look clear. Great results, no fade so far... 

CT

DSCF3709 (2).JPG

Very nice, love the color. Thanks for the reply.

9 hours ago, peteski said:

I've seen Sharpie migrate and bleed up through Future after a number of years. This was on model airplanes built by others, and the Sharpie was used to accent panel lines. When it happens, it's a mess. 

On 11/26/2020 at 4:03 PM, jamesG said:

Actually I just had an idea. I wonder if artist fixative would work? I'll have to do a spoon test.

Well, it is just another type of acrylic (water-based medium), correct?  Snake mentioned "'I've seen Sharpie migrate and bleed up through Future after a number of years.", so even with the fixative the problem might not show up right away.  Seems that placing the model in a display case would be the safest bet.